Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2009, 11:39 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
Well, I guess that's a double oops.

Actually, I thought Kennedy limo was renovated and used for Nixon. Maybe not. I know there is a Kennedy buff down in Florida that has recreated the Kennedy limo in every detail...so much so that it was "borrowed" to be used in the JFK movie a few years ago.
As I recall, the Kennedy limo was used for several years after the assassination. It obtained a hard top, updated sheet metal and other protection.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:10 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
For consumer use, at least on a "beastly" burb, I think the pump-action shotguns are definitely over the top unless they could be rigged to shower down paper messages of "you jerk". However the tear gas cannons are exactly what I have been needing for those pesky tailgaters just before their obnoxious pass and cut-off.

"At Last", was that dance romantic or what, ahhh?

Carol, I'm not taking the bait.

I never learned from a man who agreed with me.
Heinlein
mrmossyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmossyone View Post
Carol, I'm not taking the bait.
Hey I will definitely consider myself fortunate then!!! Hey how are you?

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 08:05 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Hey I will definitely consider myself fortunate then!!! Hey how are you?

Great! How about yourself? Hope y'all are staying warm.

Heinlein
Old 01-24-2009, 10:16 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
It's cold but we keep dreaming of streaming!!!

Michelle (thecatsandi) and I took a trip to see the Ford museum and saw many of the presidents' limos. That was impressive but I have to confess my favorite wheeled vehicles were the Oscar Mayer Weiner Mobile and Tom Thumb's carriage. That might be because I share an affinity with the other undertall people of the world.

photography
Old 01-25-2009, 07:54 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Hey Carol, if you want to see the most beautiful American cars ever made, go to the Auburn|Deusenberg|Cord Mueseum in Auburn, IN. Those duesies were magnificent, but the Cord Convertible Coupe is (IMHO) the absolutely most beautiful car ever built.

Those early chain drive Mack trucks were a real hoot too.

"Rancho Deluxe"
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:17 AM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

I agree, the ACD Museum is great, but our PA Museum ain't bad either!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1905.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	160.7 KB
ID:	74512   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1906.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	74513  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1893.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	74514  
Attached Images
File Type: bmp untitled[1].bmp (2.25 MB, 76 views)
Old 01-25-2009, 07:57 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
Hey Carol, if you want to see the most beautiful American cars ever made, go to the Auburn|Deusenberg|Cord Mueseum in Auburn, IN. Those duesies were magnificent, but the Cord Convertible Coupe is (IMHO) the absolutely most beautiful car ever built.

Those early chain drive Mack trucks were a real hoot too.

Those are some gorgeous cars. Don't see lines like that anymore that's for sure.

Heinlein
Old 01-25-2009, 08:18 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Robert and Crusty those vehicles are gorgeous. I do like that convertable coupe!!! I haven't seen the Cord or PA museum, I have seen the Corvette museum in Kentucky and there is a car museum in Volo Illinois that has a lot of tv and Hollywood cars, like Night Rider, Dukes of Hazard, Blues Brothers Mobile, a lot of vintage cars, diner and memorbilia.

Did anyone go to the auto museum with last year's Saratoga New York, Vintage trailer Jam?

photography
Old 01-25-2009, 08:37 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wkerfoot View Post
As I recall, the Kennedy limo was used for several years after the assassination. It obtained a hard top, updated sheet metal and other protection.

Bill
Right, the X-100 (1961 Lincoln custom built by Hess and Eisenhardt) as it was known was retired during the Carter administration and returned to FoMoCo where it went on display. The last Presenditial limo to be put in a museum was the 1972 Lincoln that was used up through President Bush (41). After that the Secret Service has a policy that they will all be destroyed for security reasons.
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:48 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Oh I forgot one of the links.

Kennedy Presidental Limo#
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 09:01 PM   #32
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan

Name:   2008656005.jpg
Views: 347
Size:  11.2 KB

DEARBORN, Mich. — The largest collection of retired presidential limousines is ensconced here at the Henry Ford Museum in a frozen-moment procession that begins with Ronald Reagan's 1972 Lincoln Continental and ends with Theodore Roosevelt's 1902 horse-drawn brougham carriage.
And already, a shameful secret is revealed: Teddy's two-seater was probably an import.
Barack Obama's new limo — a massive, mobile redoubt, a cross between a Cadillac and a hardened missile silo, code-named "Stagecoach" — will never join this parade. Sometime after Sept. 11, 2001, the Secret Service adopted a policy to destroy presidential limos after they are taken out of service in order to protect their secrets. It's become routine to replace the presidential limo every four years at the beginning of a new term.
The presidential limo is a vessel of secrets, but here's what's thought to be known:
Obama's car is actually one of a fleet of identical and interchangeable vehicles built by General Motors. Judging by its approximate weight (14,000 to 16,000 pounds) and wheelbase, it rides on a modified medium-truck GM chassis.
It's heavily protected, encased in several inches of military-grade armor, probably composite and possibly what's called "reactive" armor, to repulse armor-piercing ordnance.
Like armored cars on the civilian market, it almost certainly has a thick woven under-floor blanket made of Kevlar and shock-absorbent materials to ward off grenades that could be rolled under the car. It has ballistic-resistant windows and tires, and a sealed air-circulation system to thwart gas attacks.
And we know that, in comparison with previous generations of presidential limos, "Stagecoach" is seriously ugly, a brute, charmless rectangle of steel and glass that less conveys the grandeur of the office than the withering paranoia of the age. If the sleek, knife-sided elegance of Richard Nixon's Lehmann-Peterson Lincoln Continental can be compared with the Greek-inspired columns of the Capitol, the new limo is a Bethesda parking garage.
For most of the 20th century, presidential automobiles had to reconcile competing imperatives, the first for safety and the second for symbolism. It's a testament to a free and stable democracy that its leader can move with relative ease and visibility among its people.
For the president to be transported in an obviously armored car suggests an unquiet nation, a place of putsches and lurking coups. Even at the height of World War II, Franklin D. Roosevelt frequently traveled in his open touring car, a 1939 Lincoln V12 tellingly nicknamed the "Sunshine Special."
To see and be seen
"Franklin felt it was an important part of the job to see the people and be seen," said Peter Kalinski, assistant curator of transportation for the Henry Ford Museum. FDR's Lincoln — a K series built on a stretched wheelbase — has minimal security measures.
There are places for Secret Service agents to stand on the back of the car, and a special compartment for rifles and machine guns. The window glass is thicker than normal but by no means is it bulletproof. The car was also retrofitted with armor after Pearl Harbor.
But by today's standards — and with the Zapruder flicker of Dallas forever in our minds — FDR's open car seems acutely vulnerable. The nation was at war. The Secret Service knew there were German spies and saboteurs operating in the U.S. Why didn't Roosevelt travel in an armored personnel carrier or some kind of tank?
Because symbolism trumped security. The Constitution requires that the commander in chief be a civilian; indeed, Americans were fighting the Axis military dictatorships. The theater of the presidency requires that its trappings remain demilitarized.
At the zenith of the American Empire, the 1950s, the presidential parade limo — a 1950 Lincoln Continental Cosmopolitan — reflected the nation's unrivaled power and sense of destiny. To judge by the Lincoln, Dwight Eisenhower's biggest fear was a rain shower. Or maybe insects. The car was fitted with its distinctive Plexiglas top — a "bubbletop" — to keep out the weather, and a folding bug screen to protect the president as he stood in the car during parades. Ike rolled up over 100,000 miles in the Bubbletop.
The Kennedy car
And then there was Dallas. The museum's most celebrated, if that's the word, artifact is the 1961 Lincoln Continental in which John F. Kennedy was killed in November 1963. Remarkably, Kennedy's death car was refitted and remained in White House service until the Carter administration.
Repainted from dark blue to black at President Johnson's insistence, the limousine — retrofitted with a fixed roof, heavy armor, thick bulletproof glass and run-flat tires — doesn't look much like the car of our collective memory. It's nonetheless a powerful encounter for visitors.
"It's not unusual to see people become really emotional," Kalinski said. "I think a lot of them are surprised that it's here."
Why did the Kennedy car get thrown back into the fleet? "These are very specialized cars," Kalinski said. "It was important to have Johnson out there in public, giving Americans a sense of continuity. They didn't have time to build a new car."
High-value target
The increasingly armor-smothered look of recent presidential limos such as Stagecoach reflects the heightened threat from street-legal weapons such as the .50-caliber Barrett M82 sniper rifle, a monstrous anti-materiel military rifle capable of penetrating the thickest ballistic glass at stand-off distances.
Meanwhile, military anti-vehicle weapons such as rocket-propelled grenades, anti-tank weapons and shaped explosives are easily available on the world weapons market. Whenever a U.S. president is on the move, he's vulnerable.
With its windows and hermetically sealed environment, the limo is the "presidential bubble" at its most literal, a zone of unreachable separateness that floats through history. It alienates as it protects.
The new president, who has trouble even giving up his BlackBerry, already shows signs of frustration with the security thrown around him.

photography
Old 01-26-2009, 12:00 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 24
Collierville , Tennessee
50 caliber "sniper" rifles were available long before bullit proof glass and armored presidential limos.

Heinlein
Old 01-26-2009, 01:04 PM   #34
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Thanks for the information Carol. While it is important to remember that our president is the People's president, it is also important to remember that since 1963, there are a lot of whack-o's out there. Ronald Regan was the most recent president to experience this. Hopefully, through measures like "Stagecoach", Air Force One, Marine One, and the superb training of the secret service, he will be the last.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote