Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-26-2004, 07:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
bakelite

i am throwing out a question that i probably already know the answer to, but is there a bonding agent for bakelite?
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 07:34 PM   #2
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
norby

i've had pretty good luck with 2 part epoxy.

john
Old 07-26-2004, 07:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
thanx.....i tryed that but, it is on a waffle iron...i think that heat negates the fix...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
Old 07-26-2004, 08:00 PM   #4
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
norby

heat shouldn't bother epoxy.

if it is a larger part try drilling both pieces and add a pin or a threaded part of a screw to help the epoxy "grip".

john
Old 07-26-2004, 09:21 PM   #5
Rivet Master

You can use JB Weld too. That is if you don't mind the gray color.

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2004, 01:37 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
John G...

I Like Yr pic of Yr A/S, but U kn U LEFT YR LIGHTS ON, no sorry they gone OFF agn, no ON...heck no OFF....I give up...U best check 'em out...U gonna B blowin a fuse or somethin ELSE...Besides U drivin the MOTHS CRAZY...LOL...Chris.....
Old 08-13-2004, 03:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Norby, When a fastening is secured with the West system epoxy resin, the recommended method of loosening the fastening is to apply heat, such as from a hot soldering iron or a propane torch, to the head of the fastening. This releases the bond. My reference is "Wooden boat restoration and repair", published by the Gougeon Brothers, 1990, Michigan, ISBN 1-878207-14-8 , page 64, quote "At temperatures above 65 degree C, cured epoxy begins to lose its physical properties." There may be high temperature epoxies of which I am not aware.
The preferred bonding agents for Bakelite appear to be Superglue. This is referred to at http://www.holdtite.com/english/down...rod/pds024.pdf
where Holdtite recommends its adhesive Ethyl ST26 Cyanoacrylate. The company will doubtless be able to tell you what temperature it will tolerate. I would try a tube of superglue from the Dollar Store! Good luck. Nick.
Old 08-13-2004, 07:00 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
Norby, When a fastening is secured with the West system epoxy resin, the recommended method of loosening the fastening is to apply heat, such as from a hot soldering iron or a propane torch, to the head of the fastening. This releases the bond. My reference is "Wooden boat restoration and repair", published by the Gougeon Brothers, 1990, Michigan, ISBN 1-878207-14-8 , page 64, quote "At temperatures above 65 degree C, cured epoxy begins to lose its physical properties." There may be high temperature epoxies of which I am not aware.
The preferred bonding agents for Bakelite appear to be Superglue. This is referred to at http://www.holdtite.com/english/down...rod/pds024.pdf
where Holdtite recommends its adhesive Ethyl ST26 Cyanoacrylate. The company will doubtless be able to tell you what temperature it will tolerate. I would try a tube of superglue from the Dollar Store! Good luck. Nick.
thanx nick,
this seems to confirm my gut feeling....as the bakelite piece is a handle attached to a beautiful over 70 year old waffle iron(art deco styling) that is still fully functional xcept that this dysfunctional idiot had to go and break and is sick to his stomach....149 degrees F. is surpassed....