Old 03-21-2010, 11:48 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Arvada , Colorado
Just because a person does mechanical work for a living does not mean that they are professionals. Find the true professional mechanic and stick with them. They can be difficult to find and generally cost more.

Kip

Old 03-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #16

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We travel with Lucy so extensively that we are very concerned about tow vehicle repairs, especially as both the Suburbans are five plus years old and have over 70,000 miles on each of them.

In the past several years with all of our traveling, we have all of our repairs done at a GM dealership. We started doing this about four years ago. We were in Orlando with our 2001 Suburban 2500. The starter just suddenly died in a Publix parking lot. The Suburban had about 120.000 miles on it at the time. I called AAA, and they sent a flatbed wrecker for me. AAA recommended a very reputable local repair shop. They installed a rebuilt starter for $450 which they guaranteed. About a month later back in Santa Rosa Beach, the new starter went out. The Orlando repair shop would back it, but was 420 miles away. We ended up doing a new starter at the Chevy dealer in Fort Walton Beach for about $600.

Jump forward several years, and the starter in our '04 Suburban went bad, and we had it replaced at the Chevy Dealer here at home. A couple of months later we were traveling with Lucy and had a problem with the new starter. It was replaced at no cost by the Chevy Dealer in Bonner's Ferry, Idaho.

That's why we use GM dealers.

Brian

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 12:07 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
parts

In some circles, NAPA has a different meaning.

Not Always Professionally Acceptable.

Cheap parts claim to fame, "is cheap parts" but the poor quality is tossed in at "no extra charge".

Andy
Old 03-21-2010, 01:01 PM   #18
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Send a message via Skype™ to osolow
Mechanic/technician?

Wow there's some info on here i disagree with and agree with but It is true finding a good Place to take your vehicle to get worked on is hard to find.
Yes a dealership should be the best place to have your Car/truck worked on why? those guys there work on that line of car/trucks everyday and they should know something about that model line. were Indy guys work(try to) on everything under the sun.
Ase's are a joke and really don't matter to a shop any more. all they really are is advertising ploy to get people in the door. Ive never heard of a guy getting hired for a job at a shop because he was ASE certified.
besides any one can become Ase certified by taking a test.

you just have to remember this, If you want something done to your vehicle at a independent shop or dealer you need to ask for it then you will probably have to pay for it. (IE getting your drums cleaned were the wheels meet them)

Most shop's are only going to do the work you ask for, unless the see something that they can up sale you on.

Most shop's are flat rate so the techs/mechanics get payed for the work that they do not the extra work that you think they should do. then the faster they do the work and get on to the next job the more money they make

and yes there's more people out there working on car's that think they know what there doing then guys who know actually how to do the job correctly and in a timely matter.
Old 03-21-2010, 01:11 PM   #19
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
In some circles, NAPA has a different meaning.

Not Always Professionally Acceptable.

Cheap parts claim to fame, "is cheap parts" but the poor quality is tossed in at "no extra charge".

Andy
that could also be the same for Autozone and Oreillys with out the acronym most if not all the parts you get from these places are cheap Chinese junk and not worth buying. and the guy behind the counter is not the brightest bulb in the box. that's why they ask you the same series of ? about you vehicle try going in there and asking something for a custom application then there completely lost
Then a lot of the time if you check with a dealer the factory OEM part is really not that much more expensive. also when you buy the correct part it fits right and you don't have to MacGyver it to work.

Its the price that rules not the quality.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #20
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Thanks for all the support and validation on this.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:23 PM   #21
Full Timers/Diesel power.

1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
That's why we use GM dealers.
I agree, even with our mo/ho, which is a GM chassis & engine partnership. I'd also add Goodyear tire dealers, who will take care of warranty anywhere.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:20 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
Currently Looking...
McHenry County , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by osolow View Post
Ase's are a joke and really don't matter to a shop any more. all they really are is advertising ploy to get people in the door. Ive never heard of a guy getting hired for a job at a shop because he was ASE certified.........
Most shop's are flat rate so the techs/mechanics get payed for the work that they do not the extra work that you think they should do. then the faster they do the work and get on to the next job the more money they make.....
Agreed. The ASE tests are no longer an indicator of proficiency in the field. Anyone who can take a multiple-choice exam and can demonstrate a basic level of knowledge of automotive systems will pass. I rectified in the early Ď90s, no reason to do so now. Many manufacturers no longer require them as part of their Masters programs.
Flat rate/billable hours are the problem. Unfortunately thereís no good fix at this time. The customer generally knows nothing about their car and even a good, but unscrupulous Tech knows how to work the system. The scams sail through with a wink from the writers and manager. The bulk of their salary is commission. Ours comes from booked hours.
These problems are endemic across all service sectors. The best defense, as a consumer, is to learn the essentials required for a repair. Car Forums abound on-line. (None as good at this Forum however). They are a good place to start.
Those of you with GM products may be the greatest beneficiaries of the companies down-sizing. Not only sales, but service CSIs were taken into consideration when they were pulling the franchises. The really good displaced tech will be hired by one of the survivors. Most techs know who the hacks are in the area and who's good. The others filter down to the chain shops.

Itís a dirty job, but someone has to do it.
Tom.

Not All Who Wander Are Lost.

Avid supporter of trailing edge technology.
Tom Nugler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #23
on the hunt

Currently Looking...
riverton , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Nugler View Post
Agreed. The ASE tests are no longer an indicator of proficiency in the field. Anyone who can take a multiple-choice exam and can demonstrate a basic level of knowledge of automotive systems will pass. I rectified in the early Ď90s, no reason to do so now. Many manufacturers no longer require them as part of their Masters programs.
Flat rate/billable hours are the problem. Unfortunately thereís no good fix at this time. The customer generally knows nothing about their car and even a good, but unscrupulous Tech knows how to work the system. The scams sail through with a wink from the writers and manager. The bulk of their salary is commission. Ours comes from booked hours.
These problems are endemic across all service sectors. The best defense, as a consumer, is to learn the essentials required for a repair. Car Forums abound on-line. (None as good at this Forum however). They are a good place to start.
Those of you with GM products may be the greatest beneficiaries of the companies down-sizing. Not only sales, but service CSIs were taken into consideration when they were pulling the franchises. The really good displaced tech will be hired by one of the survivors. Most techs know who the hacks are in the area and who's good. The others filter down to the chain shops.

Itís a dirty job, but someone has to do it.
Tom.

yep totally agree
Old 03-21-2010, 11:08 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
1950 22' Liner
Powhatan , Virginia
WALL OF TEXT WARNING:

I am glad to have a really good auto shop right down the road. We have been using them since moving to the area in 2000 and they are as honest as they come.

It is a family business, same mechanics (3) since we moved here and they tell you like it is. They have no waiting room, just a chair in the shop next to the engine lift. They let you walk up and question them at any time and they actually show you what is happening, what they are doing and why it is an issue.

My wife's check engine light comes on weekly and usually it is due to overfilling the gas tank. They check it on the computer each week or so and send her on her way without charging.

She came in once for a repair and had an errand to run. They loaned her one of thier trucks for the errand while they worked on her vehicle.

I came in for an inspection last year in a 1990 car we had gotten earlier in the year (old CRX that gets 50mpg for my long commute). They mentioned there were illegal fog lights on the front (aftermarket someone added). I said they could remove them, it was fine. When I went to pay, the owner informed me my tailight was out so they replaced the bulb. I looked at the invoice and they only charged for the inspection. I asked about the bulb and removing the fog lights? He said he wouldn't charge me for that little time.

Many other nice things to say about them... Anyway, we now have our F250 with warranty for 7 years. I have had to take it back to the dealer 3 times for a front end shake at 65MPH (talking death shake when you hit the right set of potholes). The first visit they said tire pressure was the issue, put 75lbs in each tire and sent me on my way?? Next time I came in (a week later), they said it may need a "stabilizing kit" for the frame. Very happy they had a fix, I went on my way.

Came back to get the truck after it was done only to find out they fixed it by adjusting the tow in on the front end?? I fought, they fought harder saying they fixed it. A week later, came back in with the same issue, showed them the previous statements for the "fixes", made them give me a rental car which I would keep until I verified the vehicle worked this time.

Came back the next day only to find out they put pressure to 75lbs in the tires?!?!? Talked to Manager and asked them to read the previous "fixes" including the tire pressure being checked. Told them I checked that again right before bringing the vehicle in and it WAS 75lbs, left in rental car.

Came back 4 days later and they had fixed it by tightening the track bar assembly. Still not sure it is 100% good but took it over some bone jarring roads here at 75mph and no death shake. We will see.

My issue is I want to have my local mechanics work on it but with the warranty, I shouldn't have to pay them for work that the dealership should be doing.
Proud to be Air #37137
Bowmans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 01:19 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I have been a mechanic, service advisor, and shop foreman at new car dealers since 1968. [now retired] I was also a Mac Tools distributor for eight years. So I have seen it all. [almost]

(1.) Anyone who knows which way to turn a nut to loosen or tighten it thinks they are a mechanic.

(2.) There are good and bad mechanics everywhere.

(3.) Many years as a mechanic doesn't mean anything if you were doing it wrong all those years.

(4.) Chances are that you will have a good experience in a place that is real busy, but you will have to wait your turn. [sorta like a good restaraunt]

(5.) A really good shop knows "You can shear a sheep many times, but you can only skin it once." [repeat customers]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote