Old 08-30-2005, 04:25 PM   #1
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Bad day at Black Rock

This morning, I was happily motoring along US290W freeway in my brand new (2 month) Hyundai Sonata LS, when an 18-wheeler who was overtaking me on my left swerved to miss a road allegator and side-swiped me. What a sudden wake up that was!

The lugs on his right front wheel cut a circular groove in the rear door right behind me and actually wore clear through the steel for about 45 degrees of the arc. It was a cabover and his bumper put a 4" dent in the front door before he bounced off and wiped off my mirror. Didn't touch the front fender. Both doors will have to be replaced. The mirror, doors, and a few scratches in the fender were the extent of the damage.

It was an immaculate trailer pulled by the shoddiest tractor I have seen in a while; there were dents in every piece of sheet metal on that tractor. Oklahoma-licensed tractor with a Terrill, TX company name on the side and Tennessee-licensed trailer. The driver was Hispanic and spoke only broken English. I didn't have my cell phone, so he loaned me his to call 311. While we were waiting for the police, he offered me $500, $600, and $700 to just drive off and forget it. No way!

Sad thing was there were no witnesses. No one was behind us and on the elevated roadway, no one could have seen it from the street. From the bruises on the car, though, there is no doubt what happened.

All complicated by us leaving in the morning for about 10 days.

John W. Irwin
2005 Classic 28 "Sabre-Dog III"
2013 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LTZ
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2005 28' International CCD
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
wow John, I'm sure glad you didn't get hurt. Proves how quickly something can happen to any of us.

"would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?"

Tin Hut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Safety features rock

I bought the car partially becasue if the 6 airbags. None of them went off this morning since the sideways blow wasn't that severe, but it sure makes me feel a lot more secure knowing they are there. If he had hit me a bit harder, I'm sure that the head-level side curtain and shoulder-level airbags would have gone off and given me a lot of protection.

Of course, had they gone off, I'm sure my ears would be ringing.
John W. Irwin
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Old 08-30-2005, 05:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master
2005 28' Classic
Some photos

The broken mirror makes the car virtually undrivable in Austin traffic. You can see how the lug nuts on the tractor wore through the rear door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Rear_door.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	6.3 KB
ID:	14336   Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken_mirror.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	12.3 KB
ID:	14337  

John W. Irwin
WBCCI #9632, TAC TX-10
Old 08-30-2005, 05:20 PM   #5
Retired Moderator
1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin

glad you are ok john!

you call them ferrets, i call them weasels.
john hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:01 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
When I hear a Hyundai got hit by a semi, I was expecting a LOT worse. Glad to hear it wasn't too bad, and you're ok!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 07:26 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member
Safety is a great concern. I know I feel safe driving the Ram 2500 as my daily driver, but the wife was driving a Cherokee and we got to thinking about safety and gas mileage. So we bought the safest thing around, a Volvo S-80. Great car with great safety features.
"For my part, I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to move."

Robert Louis Stevenson
LowellN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 09:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master
1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321

Glad to hear you are ok. Steel can be replaced. Highly irritating to have a new car getting body work though.

Rig was based in Oklahoma? Sounds like one of the mexico trucks. I understand the Texas highway patrol find serious violations in more than 50% of rigs they inspect.

I have read that labor is so tight for trucking companies that mexican migrants are moving from the farms, etc. to trucking. Sounds like your situation. Don't you just love a country so stupid that language isn't a necessity to drive a truck. Bet a good inspection would have found serious mechanical violations too.

What the heck, it's only 88,000 lbs. with a speed limit of 70 mph. What do you think the stopping distance would be on that rig?
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 05:34 AM   #9
Good to hear that you are O.K.. I witnessed a truck sideswipe a cars on the beltway around D.C. The car bounced off the gaurd rail and back in to the truck and then on to the shoulder. The car was so badly damaged that we had to pull the driver from the rear hatch. She was shaken but unharmed. It took some distance for the truck driver to pull over and at first he had no idea that he had actually hit another car. He said he thought that he had run over something and said that the impact just wasn't that noticable. Those trucks are so big and heavy and some of todays cars are so small it's really scary what can happen when they come in contact.Count your blessings.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:56 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member
2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire

Glad you are ok and also glad you weren't pulling your 'stream.

-Life is a journey, not a destination.
markjoandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 12:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Yorkshire , England
Ouch !!!...

Glad U R OK John, some MEAN awakenin vat woz... Luckily U OK, glad abt that... Who is 311 ?... Hope it aint put U off 2 much, I lost 2 cars in a few months...& I'm still smilin... that reminds Me, hey Missus... can I remove this melon slice from My mouth yet...Grrr..... LOL, OK 2day Yr sore, 2morrow U'll B Laughin...Take care now...Chris.....
It's NICE 2B Important...but it's more Important 2B NICE...Chris.....
canny_banjo_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2005, 12:28 PM   #12

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Your description brought to mind the chariot race scene in Ben Hur. Thank goodness you came out OK.

pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote