Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2007, 08:22 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Back from self-imposed exile

This past week I have been in self-imposed exile from all frivolous surfing - Air Forums included, although that is not really frivolous in my opinion.

This started on the way home from the BB rally, we were listening to a podcast of BBC news, when a reporter did a story on cutting himself off from the net for three days. Hubby said I couldn't do it, because I was too addicted. Thus the challenge began.

I immediately had to modify the rule to not include email - if I quit doing email my friends would think I was dead! So email was allowed. But that's all - no Boing Boing, Snopes, StraightDope, Digg, Lileks, or any of the other assorted websites where I waste hours a day. I did still check Craigslist daily because I was looking for a motor for my boat, and I just found one today finally. Wouldn't have wanted to miss that.

So the conclusion: I did waste a lot of time on 'net! Mostly on sites that I can really live without. Life feels slower when you're not plugged in. I dumped a bunch of bookmarks off my toolbar for sites I don't want to waste my time on anymore. AirForums of course is still number one, in fact I hit the bookmark link several times during the week by accident because that's just what I do - I sit down, bring up the browser and hit the ASF bookmark. So it was hard to go without that.

But without the time wasted on the net, I went and read a book, I cleaned up around the house, I made homemade cookies, I got some stuff done in the garage, and I played my guitar. So it was an enlightening experiment. I learned that although I wouldn't call myself 'addicted' to the net, I was certainly wasting too much time there. In fact I think now I'm going to go play my guitar some more. Maybe next time we're at a rally I'll actually bring it along and play

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
You had time to play guitar?????

Cool. maybe I'll try the same thing.

I so glad you're back - the place just wasn't right while you were having fun without us.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:34 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
BoingBoing is about 3rd on my list -- deserves surfing there every 2nd or 3rd day. Yay Net Neutrality! Lileks is actually a writer (Mpls Star Tribune) based in the western Mpls suburbs -- more loosey-goosey than I like but I'd have been so there back in college.

Perspective. Wish I had some... Good to see you here Stephanie!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 08:41 PM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
Could you try more time off the net? I need a guitar instructor. Did you know the AS has pretty good acoustics for playing? I am just a beginner so I can use any help I can get.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 09:55 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Lileks is actually a writer (Mpls Star Tribune) based in the western Mpls suburbs -- more loosey-goosey than I like but I'd have been so there back in college.
I love Lileks for his funny commentaries on old comics, matchbooks, ads, that kind of stuff. I have many of his books and occasionally pull them out to pass a rainy day chuckling. But I don't NEED to hit it daily. I guess that's the main thing I found, there's lots of stuff I got hooked on reading, but I didn't miss it that much when I found other stuff to fill my day with.

Michelle, you need to make it to a rally. Lots of accomplished guitar players (of which I am NOT one) who are happy to give tips and tricks. Nothing quite like gathering around the fire with instruments!

Old 10-05-2007, 10:18 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Welcome back, Steph. I know how hard it is to stay away - I'm addicted and know it.

Now and then I'm able to pull the old Martin out and make some noise and it's pleasurable to me - the cat goes and hides - what can I say, either I'm a rotten player/singer or he's got no patience with anything that doesn't chirp or purr. I know Donna finds an excuse to go shopping so maybe I need to start either playing more often or more likely not at all. I know my brother would be very happy to have me pass the old family heirloom on to him and he's not been shy about asking. My late sister played it when we performed on the grand ol oprey in the fifties and although it looks pretty beat up it still has wonderful sound when someone with some skills plays it (that would not be me by a long shot).

Reading a book is becoming a lost art and that's sad. There are few things as comforting and relaxing as sitting in a comfortable old chair, a hot mug of tea (or coffee/hot chocolate) at hand, and a book that takes you to another place and time. Even better when you are curled up in the Airstream, and I've done a lot of that this summer, even though it's just parked out back under the trees for the most part.

I cut out quite a few of my regular daily internet stops and after a few days realized how less stressed I felt. However, when I'm away camping I do not check in and the one place I feel like I'm missing old friends is this forum. I'm always glad to get back on and catch up.

Take care, and glad to see you back posting.

Barry
Old 10-05-2007, 10:25 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Steph,

Well, surfing and lurking and posting and emailing, and finding great information is just not wasting time! I think it is really productive! At least that is what I convince myself it is.... but then I am retired and need to keep my mind "active"... :P

Welcome back! BTW, it was great to see you at BB! Now, if we are rallying and not online as much that would be a good thing!

Claudia aka Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Stephanie, we all need a break from time to time....but did you hang on to your New Year's resolution.? You cannot break one of those, especially this late in the year.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:50 PM   #9
_

. , .
hi stef...

good to cu at the beach!

find a copy of this neil postman book...

Amusing Ourselves to Death - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

written 'pre web' it is still relevant.

then give up ALL current/topical mass media (radio, tv/video, online, newsprint, ipod) for a week...

it is really wild and liberating...

and scary.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 04:08 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Broadway , North Carolina
Hmmm - what else would I do while watching TV?
Wayward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 07:56 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
Post Falls , Idaho
Hi Steph, It was nice meeting you at BB, can't wait til next year! I can so relate to your 'addiction'. We don't have TV reception and my news comes from Google...and I do read alot, but there still seems to be too much time with my "bookmarks". Craig's list for sure, just have to see what Seattle and Spokane have to offer as far as AS goes. I often wonder what I did with my time before the days of computers...we even had it along at BB! The best part is being able to keep in touch with my family, scattered all over the world.
My latest "plan" is to limit my online time to one hour a day! Who knows, I may even dust off my guitar case...Thanks for the incentive! Frankie
bambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:39 AM   #12
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I wanted to make the Beech Bash but I was still on contract in Boise.
I am not sure when I am going to make another one. I am looking for another job which will restrict my mobility for a while.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 10:40 AM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
BB was a blast, it was great to see everyone again. I wish it wasn't the end-of-season marker for most of us! I certainly could have stayed an extra day, but we had to get home and back to work on Monday, and by mid-day Monday I couldn't believe I almost stayed an extra day - there was so much work to do <sigh>. I'd have rather been at the beach though!