Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-26-2009, 11:33 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Baby Let's Cruise...

So much in the news is the automotive industry, let's make our own tribute to the automotive industry products and our personal histories to share with one another. Piled in the back of a station wagon for group activities? Cruising the strip looking for action as a teen? Road trip with your fellow rowdies? Spent a good part of your life detailing and upgrading your pride and joy? How 'bout you, there weren't nothin wrong with the radio, were you a pick up man? Anyone been rousted from steamy windows in a vacant lot by a friendly policeman telling you to move on? Family vacation, were you and your sibling held captive in the back of a car by your parents? Perhaps you remember driving off to school with a small vehicle packed to it's roof. Fulltiming rvers? How much a part of your lives have automotive products played? Tell us the wheel truth!!!

OK and not to name names, well OK maybe a few, Bruno! Your cycle and your wedding on the cycle, the love of the open road. Vera and Jim your continental travel by bike, give us a story or reflection or two. What is it about being on the road and the experiences it brings? If its a motored tell us about your use and abuse.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Baby Let's Cruise...

Grand old American-made cars with V8 motors have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. Two of the most memorable are still in my possession today. The first is actually my first car that parents purchased so that I would have a safe, reliable car to drive to school once I completed the requirements for my driver's license (it sat in the side drive for several months before my 16th birthday).

The car is a 1965 Dodge Coronet 500, and I have owned it since 1974. When purchased, the odometer had just registered its first 100,000 miles -- it now has approximately 125,000 total miles and resides next to my 2007 Volkswagen New Beetle Convertible. This car has been with me through three years of high school, four plus years of college, plus each of the following:
  • It has been the car of choice for several of my friends when they were married -- for transportation from the wedding venue to the reception venue. The most memorable of these was a friend's wedding at the Bald Knob Cross of Peace in Alto Pass, IL that was followed by a reception dinner at the Giant City State Park Lodge in the Bald Knob Room (Makanda, IL).
  • It provided transportation for myself and several friends when we attended Forensics optional workshops on several weekends.
  • It provided transportation for myself and several friends to both our five and ten year high school class reunions.
  • It porvided transportation for me to my fifteen year high school class reunion.
  • It provided transporation to summer enrichments classes for two straight summers and allowed me the freedom to drive down to the Kankakee river to watch the boaters while I did my homework.
  • It became my first towcar in 1980 when my family purchased a 1981 Nomad Super-Light 1720 travel trailer (17 feet).
My old friend is waiting patiently in the garage for a new paint job, re-chromed bumpers, and brake modernization. Once these refurbishment steps have been taken, it will become a regular tow vehicle for my Overlander when attending VAC or Vintage Trailer Rallys. Despite its high mileage and age, it has only let me down once when the starter failed and had to be replaced -- a tow of 25 miles was required.

My second memorable car actually can trace its acquisition desire to my youth. The first convertible that any of my friends families owned was a white, 1960 Studbaker Lark VIII convertible. From my first ride in that car as a ten year-old, I was hooked -- the quirky little car was cute and nobody had one quite like it. Two years later when they sold the car I was greatly disappointed when my parents refused to buy it and store it in the barn until I could drive it in four years~(it sold for only $50.00)~and was fully operable (a father and son dispute was the reason for the bargain-basement price). I never forgot that little car and had asked my parents to look for a similar one when they told me that they planned to buy an older car for me to drive once I obtained my license. Well, that car turned out to be the 1965 Dodge described above. I never forgot the little Studebaker and frequently scanned various publications looking for a similar car -- in 1978, I spied an advertisement for a 1960 Studebaker Lark VIII convertible in restorable condition. I just had to convince my parents to make a Spring Break trip to Hillman, Michigan to look at the car (about 600 miles almost due North). What we saw wasn't too different from the way the car appears in the photo below:

The car was truly in restorable condition, as believe it or not, the rust wasn't so severe as to prohibit reasonable restoration -- and I was able to purchase factory replacement panels for each of the rusted areas -- the only reproduction body panels will be the front fenders -- and they were produced to very high accuracy standards. Once restored, this car will retain its original Jonquil Yellow paint with white upholstery and top. The plan is to ask this car to be one of the tow vehicles for my Minuet -- the friends who owned the similar 1960 had used it regularly to tow a 22 foot Concord travel trailer. The Lark has been waiting even more patiently than my Dodge as it hasn't been licensed for use since 1970 (it does run but the brakes are inoperable).

For me, it seems like Vintage Airstreams almost call for related vintage cars.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
I have fond memories of riding in the back seat of my dad's 1953 Studebaker hardtop. The back seat had an armrest/console in the center. At the same time he owned a 1956 Chevy 210 with the Power Pack engine. Fast car, and my first. Drove it for many years.

I also owned a Petty Blue 1972 Satellite Sebring with a 60 over 400 block and 440 crank (main journals turned to B block size in a crank lathe). Turbocharged with a 2:70 rear end, was a fantastic highway car. I drove it for many years too.
Old 04-26-2009, 05:13 PM   #4
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
The Dodge Station Wagon

When I was younger... I remember taking many a road trip with the parents in our Aquamarine Dodge Polaris Station Wagon. A true land yacht of the time. Metal everything. My sisters and I took turns sleeping on the storage compartment in the back. No seat belts just a blanket. When we bought a pop-up camper, it was our tow vehicle.

8 MPG on a good day going down hill.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 07:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Been into cars since I was 12 and lucky enough to make a pretty decent living in the hot rod business. Right now I have a couple of brands GM has dumped. The Pontiac woodie is a 1946 and I use it often to pick up stuff at the store. The 1966 Olds Toronado is the first year for FWD. At 385 HP, it's a genuine highway cruiser and still gets 14 MPG on super premium gas. Last summer my wife and I did an 1800 mile road trip in the Olds. Also have a couple of Model A hot rods in the garage.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-040S.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	79322   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02607.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	300.8 KB
ID:	79323  

Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote