Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
I have to speak my peace as a cyclist and RV'er. I live in a rural area and the only road I have to ride on are twisty and narrow country roads. Choosing a different place to ride is not a choice. Near my home last summer the US Cycling road championships were held and a driver in a car ran into the pack of riders from behind after passing the safety car sending several riders to the hospital. It is a simple matter of inertia. We cannot compete with any automobile, much like a motorcyclist. I have an added risk as I live in an area with an Amish community. They don't catch the manure from their horses that pull their wagons and machinery everywhere! So imagine my disgust when I have to swerve to avoid a huge pile of **** in the road at 40 MPH and avoid traffic as well! I suppose my point is pay attention and be courteous on both sides, behind the wheel and the handlebar. It is easy to be distracted from many things. The state of Maryland just vetoed a bill that would make TEXT messaging illegal while driving. So next time think about what you are about to do and think if it could have serious implications.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:33 PM   #42
Liquid Cooled

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
near Indy , Indiana
The law in most states says "No more than two abreast." 3 is right out, so yeah, you have a legit beef, also about blowing through the stop sign. No doubt.

However, the law (in most cases) also gives us, the trailer-pulling/coach driving participants of this forum, the right to go slower than the speed limit if conditions warrant. Sometimes this infuriates those behind us. Some of them in bigger trucks, some in cars, and occasionally some on bicycles.

Do please understand that there are a number of people who view RV's in very much the same light as some of those here have reported cyclists, with the key difference of the pejoratives leaning toward overfed with loose fitting clothing.

It is useful, sometimes, to see ourselves as others see us.
RedSHED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:58 PM   #43
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Common sense, courtesy, and undivided attention will resolve most of the issues discussed.

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:04 PM   #44
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
Common sense, courtesy, and undivided attention will resolve most of the issues discussed.
Yep and it seems to be sorely lacking in necessary quantities...

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:07 PM   #45
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Minooka , Illinois
henw makes a good point. Unfortunately my grandparents setteled in Duluth,Mn., so I don't have the luxury of selling off farm land that was handed down to me for $50,000+ an acre for development. I just rent a farm house. When I see a combine coming down the road, I move over and give him room. My pick-up against a combine would be like a bicycle against a car.

Tom
Twotone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:46 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I also pay taxes, but in reality I don't own any single piece of any street or highway. I drive trucks, cars, motorcycles, motorscooters, and ride bicycles; [sometimes I even walk] I also tow an Airstream. Human nature, is whatever piece of transportation I am useing at that time, everyone else is an idiot. You are going to find problems from someone no matter how you get around. I'm old, retired, and not in a big hurry anymore so if you want to pass me, on the left, while I'm towing uphill on a right hand curve, GO FOR IT!!!!! "Can't we all get along?"
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:20 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
I have ridden for over 35 years. Had my share of road rash and my attitude to biking is to keep a healthy paranoia about what is coming up from behind.

With that I'll unsubsribe form this thread.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
I'm not a cyclist - I have other sports I engage in.

That being said, I subscribe to the common sense guide to life.

No matter who is at fault - whether it be a distracted, discourteous motorist or a clueless cyclist, who's more likely to get the short end of the stick? I think it's the cyclist.

Just because something is legal doesn't mean that you're going to be safe doing it. I wouldn't walk around alone late at night. Sure it's legal. Sure people ought to be courteous to other citizens. But it doesn't always work out that way, does it? People get hurt or worse in all sorts of situations through no fault of their own. Sometimes you can't control things. But personally I try to limit exposing myself to situations that increases my chances of getting hurt. I'd include cycling 3 abreast on windy twisting country roads as an example. I'd include cycling in the middle of winter after a snowstorm on busy roads that have snowbanks narrowing the lanes as another example.

Instead of pointing fingers at the crazy cyclists or the jerkstick motorists, why don't people just do their thing in a manner that is safe to themselves as well as others? If someone thinks it's safe or OK to take their bicycle out on roads with limited visibility with the thought that it's their legal right to be out there, fine. But they're the ones that are going to be hurt if something goes wrong, whether they're to blame or not.

Why risk your life to prove a point? Maybe I've got too much of the pacifist Canadian coursing through my veins...!

Be safe.
Old 03-27-2008, 07:45 PM   #49
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSHED
I'm fascinated by how the responses are in two categories:
First, and predominately, a slightly veiled "I wish they wouldn't ride on roads I drive on", and second, a much better appreciation of what the PSA is intending to get across: as a species we aren't as observant as we think we are. The fact that it was sponsored by a cycling group is immaterial. It could just as well have been sponsored by a motorcycle group, an aircraft pilots association, or J.B. Hunt.

As far as going around blind corners at speed, I'm appalled at some of the thoughts. When I was 16, my parents convinced me to get a 750cc motorcycle, and attempted to teach me some useful paranoia. As a general rule, I assume there will be gravel on each corner, a broken down cement truck over each blind rise, and a deer ready to jump out behind each tree.

When I was flying sailplanes, many of the pilots in my club had participated in the recent unpleasantness in Southeast Asia. "Always leave yourself an out" was what they preached. "Never, ever allow yourself to get in a situation where you have no alternatives." I considered this good advice, doubly so coming from a former Wild Weasel pilot - both Thuds and F-4's.

As far as the cycling aspect of this goes, I've seen both sides. I lack about 800 miles of having crossed the country twice north to south and once east to west (and gone a time zone east of Maine to boot). Believe me when I say that the two scariest things on the road are a teen ager in an expensive car and an RV in the mountains.

Re-reading a couple of the responses on this thread, I'd like to note that nothing is worse than coming down a mountain pass at 45mph, rounding a corner and seeing an RV slowing to 15 for each switchback. They should have more sense than to be on the road. I don't mind that RV's are on the road, but they shouldn't ever be allowed in mountainous or hilly areas.

Of course I don't really believe that. There is room enough for all. And we all need some slack from each other from time to time. Occasionally, I take two lanes to make a 90 degree turn while pulling the Airstream.

Sometimes, believe it or not, other people say exactly the same things about RV's that a couple of people here are saying about legal, tax paying, road users. I pull at about 60mph, and am certain that I have been soundly cursed for doing so in a 70mph zone.
Outstanding! A blind corner is a blind corner. The speed limit is NOT in effect when one cannot see around that corner! Prudence is what matters, and being able to come to a FULL stop is what counts.

Bicycle riders can be jerks, no question. Law in Texas is no two abreast, single file only. Ignored regularly (as with stop signs). But being in a "hurry" is the worlds worst car/truck owner habit.

Right-of-way means just that. It is not amenable to "habit" or herd-mentality. And, it might not be a slow bicyclist or oversize RV, it might be children being moved away from a bad wreck. Or Farmer Joe moving from one field to another.

Put yourselves in the boots of a big truck driver with an unwieldy load if you want to see this more clearly. Stopping is a whole other question besides one of these pipsqueak pickups pulling a trailer.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote