Old 03-15-2008, 02:56 PM   #29
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperhawk
....Let's all use some caution!
i'm with ya COMPLETELY on this gunner....

many of us peddlers follow the reports of every roadway collision and death...

hoping to learn how, why, when and where it happened, and to raise awareness of these issues.

the suffering goes on, for both sides, long after the event.

i ALWAYS wear a rear view mirror.

on lonely rides on country roads i look back at the drivers and check for their alertness...

IF they aren't moving left early, i veer a bit (wiggle) into the lane...

IF they don't respond by moving left, i head for the ditch!

imo ALL bike riders should use rear view mirrors...

they are required for every other vehicle on the roads, so why not us?

and IF i see a group of DANCING BEARS approaching on my 6...

i pedal as FAST as i can, to the nearest tavern.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #30
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

1975 31' Sovereign
Searcy , Arkansas
If you see dancing bears coming behind you on the road...I would tend to believe that you had already been to the TAVERN!

G

www.airstreamofarkansas.com

877-Air-hog1
877-247-4641

Keeping the Airstream Dream Alive!

AIR #8844
Airhog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:18 PM   #31
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhog1
If you see dancing bears coming behind you on the road...I would tend to believe that you had already been to the TAVERN!...G
well this could be true g, but i stopped riding under the influence, in college...

CAUTION, funny TRUE STORY coming folks...

on group rides (2 people or more) we follow a convention of yelling ahead about what is approaching from the rear...

for example "CAR BACK" means a car is coming so everyone GET OVER until they pass...

"BIKER BACK" means a motor cyclist is passing,

"TRUCK BACK" means a big friggin truck, and so on.

folks acknowledge the message by repeating it and passing it forward. soon everyone is YELLING the same signal.

so one sunny day while riding in the country i looked back and yelled..."AIRPLANE BACK"

the folks ahead though i was joking...

so again i yelled "AIRPLANE BACK"...

finally other riders glanced back and agreed, we all quickly and safely made it into the depressed culvert next to the road.

it seems a small single engine plane had run short of fuel too far from the local runway...

he didn't wanna land in the cornfield and decided THIS ROAD would be perfect.

the plane was going faster than we were and,

his wing span covered both lanes AND the shoulders, lucky for us there was a gully.

after the 'landing' we all laughed and chatted with the pilot, who was as very very apologetic .

so trust me, IF i yell "dancing bears back" pay attention!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:40 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Venice , California
Have friend do this but tell them to count the passes of the black team instead of the white as instructed.

'78 Excella 500,"The Silver Pullit". vacuum over hydraulic disc brakes, center bath, rear twin. '67 Travelall 1200 B 4X4 WBCCI 3737
Excella CM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:51 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1962 22' Safari
1957 22' Custom
Vacationland , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I disagree entirely. I support bikes on the road and drive very carefully around them, but on our twisty country road where the speed limit is 50, and I come around a corner to find a bike struggling to go uphill maybe doing 10 in the middle of the lane, they are just lucky they don't get killed. There are some places that bikes just shouldn't be ridden. Hilly, twisty country roads with poor visibility is one of them.
You are telling me this is twisty county road with a corner entering a HILL where bicycists are just appearing in view? This is a road with poor visibility? And you are telling me the speed limit is 50 mph, or is that just what speed people are driving? If so, why is it 50mph?

Yes, bicyclists are lucky we do not get killed every time we go out to ride. That's how bad it is out there. Bicyclists get KILLED every day by drivers. But do drivers give us space, do they slow down? Do they approach a twisty road with poor visibility with caution?

No, not with the driver/road owner/cell phone yaking/hot coffee sipping/donut eating bad attitude bike hatin' people I see on the road.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:03 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I counted 12 passes, saw the bear, but ignored him.

bikers, drivers all need to be careful. Remember Share the road.

and stay off my bumper if I am driving the speed and you think you have to go faseter because you are late. leave home 5 minutes earlier.

Marie
Old 03-15-2008, 06:34 PM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
London , Ontario
Well, I missed the moon-walking bear too. This is an excellent demonstration as to why bicycles (and motorcycles for that matter) do not belong on the roads. Humans have inherent natural limitations, and anybody that chooses to ignore that takes a risk. It's not fair of course, but who said life was supposed to be fair?
Set-up by Can-Am RV
Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:05 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Minooka , Illinois
I was going to post to this thread eariler, but kept my cool. After what happened 2 hours ago, I've got to say something! I live on a farm in the boonies with a tar and chip (like blacktop) road. No painted lines, no shoulders to speak of.

I went to the campground today to check on our SOB and saw 3 bicyclists about a mile ahead, riding 3 wide. I slowed way down, but they stayed 3 wide, so I slowly went around them (my left tires off the road) and before I could get back in my lane I had to stop for a stop sign.

As I was stopped checking cross traffic the 3 bikes just cruised right through the stop sign. I had to pass them again, still 3 wide. These weren't kids out for a ride. They were adults with the shiny pants, helmets, and rear view mirrors. I see a hundred bikes on this road every weekend in the summer and what I just described is the rule, not the exception. Maybe it's an Illinois thing.

Tom
Old 03-15-2008, 07:06 PM   #37
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Madison , Wisconsin
Share the road, taxes and enforcement

I still ride my bike once in a while and am careful to stay ourt of the motor vehicle lanes. I take a series of nice country roads to go work on my airstream, which is 50 miles away. I encounter a lot of bikes. Most of them...over 75% are good riders and only go side by side in appropriate areas. There are the yahoos that have to be @$$e$ though. It seems there are more bicycle @...that car drivers % wise.

I just put up with them at this point. As I said most of them are good though I do encounter serious lane hogs at least once every other week My main complaint is that they do not pay their share of road taxes!. I do buy a license from the city but I still do not see the state collecting for the highways. I also see lax enforcement of traffic rules when it comes to bicycles, especially at red lights and stop signs.

I am all for share the road, I am all for share the enforcement as well. That includes impeding traffic. My other annoyance is drivers that pass too close when they can slow down a little bit, wait for an oncoming car to get by then give an extra foot or two. Maybe I am more aware of that little courtesy because I still ride a bit.
Old 03-15-2008, 07:17 PM   #38
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Once again while driving in farm country, some yahoo hogs up the whole road with his tractor and wagon at 15 mph. Faded overalls, no mirrors. Seems to be the rule whenever I'm out that way. No respect for the tax paying drivers who have first right to the road.
Maybe it's just a Fla. thing.

Tom
Wilson wired repeater with YAG.
Two big screens
15dB Backfire WiFi antenna and WaveMagnum
Centramatics.
Hawkshead Tire Monitors.
henw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:24 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Bear on Bicycle

I know If the bear had been on a bicycle I would of seen him the first time.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:57 PM   #40
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Camel
I still ride my bike once in a while and am careful to stay ourt of the motor vehicle lanes. I take a series of nice country roads to go work on my airstream, which is 50 miles away. I encounter a lot of bikes. Most of them...over 75% are good riders and only go side by side in appropriate areas. There are the yahoos that have to be @$$e$ though. It seems there are more bicycle @...that car drivers % wise.

I just put up with them at this point. As I said most of them are good though I do encounter serious lane hogs at least once every other week My main complaint is that they do not pay their share of road taxes!. I do buy a license from the city but I still do not see the state collecting for the highways. I also see lax enforcement of traffic rules when it comes to bicycles, especially at red lights and stop signs.

I am all for share the road, I am all for share the enforcement as well. That includes impeding traffic. My other annoyance is drivers that pass too close when they can slow down a little bit, wait for an oncoming car to get by then give an extra foot or two. Maybe I am more aware of that little courtesy because I still ride a bit.

Depending on the state/county you live in a person with a bicycle actually pays MORE than their share of taxes to support roads. Also lest we forget, roads were originally paved for the convenience and safety of cyclists...cars weren't in production yet.

I agree with the enforcement of ALL traffic laws and regulations.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 08:25 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

1948 22' Liner
1961 26' Overlander
1949 24' Limited
Springs , Pennsylvania
I have to speak my peace as a cyclist and RV'er. I live in a rural area and the only road I have to ride on are twisty and narrow country roads. Choosing a different place to ride is not a choice. Near my home last summer the US Cycling road championships were held and a driver in a car ran into the pack of riders from behind after passing the safety car sending several riders to the hospital. It is a simple matter of inertia. We cannot compete with any automobile, much like a motorcyclist. I have an added risk as I live in an area with an Amish community. They don't catch the manure from their horses that pull their wagons and machinery everywhere! So imagine my disgust when I have to swerve to avoid a huge pile of **** in the road at 40 MPH and avoid traffic as well! I suppose my point is pay attention and be courteous on both sides, behind the wheel and the handlebar. It is easy to be distracted from many things. The state of Maryland just vetoed a bill that would make TEXT messaging illegal while driving. So next time think about what you are about to do and think if it could have serious implications.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:33 PM   #42
Liquid Cooled

2014 16' Sport
Columbus , Indiana
The law in most states says "No more than two abreast." 3 is right out, so yeah, you have a legit beef, also about blowing through the stop sign. No doubt.

However, the law (in most cases) also gives us, the trailer-pulling/coach driving participants of this forum, the right to go slower than the speed limit if conditions warrant. Sometimes this infuriates those behind us. Some of them in bigger trucks, some in cars, and occasionally some on bicycles.

Do please understand that there are a number of people who view RV's in very much the same light as some of those here have reported cyclists, with the key difference of the pejoratives leaning toward overfed with loose fitting clothing.

It is useful, sometimes, to see ourselves as others see us.