Old 05-02-2005, 10:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Post Avions/First Trip Story

First trip in the 22ft CCD, "Tin Lizzie"

First day out, drove from Virginia Beach to Winchester VA to meet with two friends in the Answering Service business. Stayed at Candy Hill Campground - and wouldn't you know it, NO pull through spaces. They had a nice man direct me into my space - and I immediately found out that loosening the sway bar on my Reese makes all of the difference but it still took three tries to get the damn thing in the space. Of course there wasn't enough room to leave my tow vehicle "Big Dawg" hooked up while I went out with Lisa in her car- so I had to unhitch in front of a witness! Still managed after one false start to unhitch fairly quickly. Both friends were really startled and impressed by the interior of the CCD - neither are RV'ers. Also had a couple of other campers come up and look at it longingly - I of course obliged them by letting them peek inside. Stayed two days and two other Airstreams came through. Candy Hill is small, but nicely kept and everyone is friendly and helpful. They also have wireless internet.

I impressed myself mildly by being able to back up and hitch up without help - only took four "jump out and check" corrections to get lined up right. Take your time, check everything three times, and leftover parts are a no-no!

Next, went to Jackson Center to have some minor work done on the 22ft. CCD - and to visit family in Ohio. Weather to Winchester was cold, it actually snowed on me overnight at Winchester - but melted as it fell. The cross winds leaving Winchester were horrid - so the trip west on I-68 and I-70 was a bit rough. I didn't realize how rough until I got out and tried to walk to a rest stop area - I could barely keep my feet, but the rig stayed straight and while I could feel it buffetting, I wasn't doing "involuntary lane changes". I tried to make it all the way to Jackson Center, but gave up about an hour after dark on I-270. I saw the "Wal-Mart" sign glowing in the distance and pulled in, put on the emergency brake, climbed in the back and collapsed. Didn't even turn on the propane or the furnace which I regreted when I climbed out from under the down comforter... brrr!

My sister came to Jackson Center and we spent two days wandering around. While exploring western Ohio my sister and I saw many Airstreams and incredibly 3 Avions in a two county area. One was sitting on the side of the road with a "For Sale" sign on it. Here is the info if anyone is interested. Don't know how to tell the year of an Avion, but it looks to be one of the later models: big windows, 5 piece end caps, etc. It was a 3 axle 10.6 meter (about 36 feet?) unit. The frame was straight and the axles looked fine, judged by Airstream standards. The asking price had been reduced from $9K to $7K. The Avion is located just off of state route 33 in Wapokeneta Ohio, (8 miles north of Jackson Center on US 75). The phone number for information is 419-738-3982. Looked to be in pretty good condition overall, but certainly needs a good exterior cleaning, etc. Could only see a tiny bit of the interior between slats of venetian blinds, but doesn't look like it's been abused.

If you're looking for a great place to eat near Jackson Center - go just west of I-75 on 274 and on the left side you'll find the "Inn Between". Basic stuff like fried chicken, fish, sandwiches, etc., but very well prepared and dirt cheap! It's a bar on one side and a dining room on the other.

I also spotted a 25ft? Avion in a campground off US 75 going south from Jackson Center - just north of Sidney. It actually looked like it was permanently there in the campground and it was pristine - at least from a distance. I spotted another long one on the same road, traveling northbound - but gave him the airstream salute anyway.

After leaving Ohio, I went through PA to visit a friend who lives off of state route 40 north east of Baltimore. Took the PA turnpike most of the way - not bad and pretty light traffic. Again, boondocked at a rest stop but had the sense to turn on the propane and fire up the furnace this time.

Taking the 695 beltway around Baltimore is NOT FUN - even on a Saturday morning when people aren't supposedly so stressed or nuts. I experienced the joy of a full panic stop as a car dodged right across three lanes of traffic and directly in front of me to make an exit ramp! If I hadn't slammed on my brakes I'm convinced I would have gone right over the top of that damned Ford Focus with my Suburban. As it was, my whole combo bucked like a bronco and I came very close to having a "Depends" moment on my new upholstery! My screeching brakes did make everyone else slow down and swerve away, and a very alert truck driver behind me also put on his air brakes hard! He then stayed behind me with flashers on, going slowly and giving me a wide safety margin while I proceeded in a very shaken manner. He then pulled left and slightly ahead of me and out of his right side mirror - gestured, You OK? I nodded, wiped my forehead, smiled and waved and he tooted his horn and moved on. (I'm so glad that earlier when I pulled in front of him I used my turn signal and didn't move right until he flashed his brights at me to let me know that I was clear! Most truckers are very nice if you give them respect.)

The Focus must have missed my front bumper by at least two inches - why was I so upset?! (I do believe I scared the hell out of the "passing idiot"! I think he just didn't realize it would take more than a light tap on my brakes to give him room to exit.) And mind you, this was at 7:00 AM on a Saturday. That alone decided me to go home by going NORTH on I-95 to NJ then take route 1 and 13 down the eastern shore to Virginia Beach. Three major tolls but beats being dead by a long shot.

Oh, and as I was checking my rig before leaving Havre de Grace this morning, I found I'd damaged my ball mount! It had actually been BENT upward where the friction sway bar attaches with the small ball!

I'm very grateful it didn't snap clean off - and can't imagine how much force it must have taken between the trailer and the Suburban to bend it. I loosened the tension slightly figuring that I didn't want to put any more stress on this component than I had to. Doubt this is covered under warranty! But I figure the brake controller and the anti-sway helped save my bacon so, oh well! (How tight is too tight on a friction sway bar? Could little ole me actually have overtightened this? Come on I'm not A'hrnold!)

Oh - and I spotted ANOTHER Avion on US 40 northbound on the right hand side - in a lot with other used RV's. It's somewhere near Aberdeen but don't ask me for specifics.

The drive down the eastern shore was a sheer pleasure. The weather turned nice and traffic wasn't heavy. The tunnels on the Chesapeake Bay Bridge do get rather narrow when there's a tractor trailer coming the other way, but I got through with no problem. I'm sitting in my office with Tin Lizzie and Big Dawg in the parking lot. Proceeding "home" to Indian Cove at sunrise. Only have about 187 e-mails to read for my business before I zooorrrkkk snnnzzzz, ..... wait did I drop off there?

Well anyway, for a maiden voyage I collected a few states to put on my map! Thanks to all of you for your advice help and comments which sent me off pretty well prepared - but there ain't no preparation like doing it.

Hey 53FlyingCloud! Didn't want to tell you about the close call until I got home. Did get a couple of wi-fi connections, but just browsed rather than posting. Thanks so much for recommending the pull-out power towing mirrors! Wow are those ever worth the money! When I have to back up (dirty word) I can adjust the mirrors down to help me put my wheels exactly where I want them. In the Wal-mart lot, and several times when I took a break in a shopping center, I parked across two spaces and I used the left mirror to place my hitch right over the dividing line between spaces. Neither end hangs out too far.

Oh by the way, I actually introduced several airstreamers to this forum at Jackson Center. The Terraport was full up my first night (I did let a nice man back me in.... I'm getting better but, aargh! In close quarters I don't want to ding anyone else or myself trying it.) I saw everything from the latest moho, two 345's, several 13 segment classics including a Wee Wind and a gutted Argosy that got new axles while there. Nice people all the way around too. I was definitely the "newbie", but was able to unhitch confidently before anyone felt the need to offer me help.

Good night all!

Old 05-02-2005, 10:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Exclamation Sister Karen!

My kid sister Karen who isn't interested in RV'ing now wants to know if I'm going to leave Tin Lizzie to her in my will......

What exactly am I to think about that?

I've decided to take it as a tribute to the longevity of Airstream trailers that it even needs to be considered. Karen also has three grown children and she pointed out that she could fairly apportion its usage between the offspring without causing jealousies.

I think that she's imagining going to Key West in it herself.

(Betcha in another year she's looking for one herself!)

Old 05-02-2005, 10:13 PM   #3
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
WOW! What an adventure. Congrats on surviving the ford focus encounter. Be sure to get your hitch inspected when you get get you mount replaced. That much force could have possibly damaged the ball locking mechanism in the hitch. Better safe than sorry.

Love the road trip post. Keep it up.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 10:29 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas
I would consider changing to the Reese Dual Cam Anti-Sway setup. There is no friction adjustment on those to have to constantly mess with.
You just line the dual cam setup on straightline and then set the cams in place so that when the chains are snapped into place you get level on the weight distribution, and the cam/saddle mechanism automatically constantly works to prevent sway.
The problem with friction sway control is that IF you do get force sufficient to push the trailer out of a straight line, and into a sway mode, it takes an equal amount of force against the friction device to correct the problem. Friction is designed to prevent sway from starting, not to help you stop it if it once gets started. The cam/saddle setup constantly works to prevent and to stop any sway.
Give me a dual cam sway control any day over anything that is just friction.

AIR # 410
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 07:17 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Avions??

Don't know what it is about Avions, but I saw at least 4 late model Avion trailers enroute to Houston in early April when I drove down to take delivery of my Excella.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 09:22 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulaFord
If you're looking for a great place to eat near Jackson Center - go just west of I-75 on 274 and on the left side you'll find the "Inn Between". Basic stuff like fried chicken, fish, sandwiches, etc., but very well prepared and dirt cheap! It's a bar on one side and a dining room on the other.
I can confirm this statement! Our one day trip to Jackson Center turned out to be a 3 day marathon. We ate at the resturant next to the Service Center the first day, and knew that we needed to find another source of food. We stumbled upon the "Inn Between" the next night on Fried Chicken night and had a wonderful meal. We ate there the next night also.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:36 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
1992 25' Airstream 250
anywhere , New Jersey
Hi Paula,

It's nice to know that you made it to Jackson Center and back. We are one of the Airstreamers (2005 30 Classic) that you met at the Candy Hill CG. We also had had a close encounter on I695 on our way down to Disney and had to slam the brakes. The Hensley held up well.

Interesting trip! Maybe we will see you again soon. We will be going to the Smoky Mountains at the end of May and traveling via I76 and I81. Much better than going via I95 (even if it will save us some miles).

Safe travels.
Sonia
Old 05-03-2005, 02:30 PM   #8
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonia
Hi Paula,

It's nice to know that you made it to Jackson Center and back. We are one of the Airstreamers (2005 30 Classic) that you met at the Candy Hill CG. We also had had a close encounter on I695 on our way down to Disney and had to slam the brakes. The Hensley held up well.

Interesting trip! Maybe we will see you again soon. We will be going to the Smoky Mountains at the end of May and traveling via I76 and I81. Much better than going via I95 (even if it will save us some miles).

Safe travels.
Sonia
Did you guys stay at Fort Wilderness? We are planning our maiden voyage for a long week end there. As you can tell by my forum name, we are Disney fans. Living just south of Atlanta, we get to go to WDW about three-four times a year and can't wait to try FW. Which loop did you stay in?
Old 05-03-2005, 02:38 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Avion Update

The Avion I spotted near Jackson Center is a 1988 and was in use until last year. Everything works and she claims it has a combination gas oven/microwave oven. The woman who owns it now has arthritis and finds RV'ing irritates it. If you're interested call 419-738-3982.

Paula