Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-26-2012, 06:54 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
Aviators and Airstreams?

I bought my Airstream last October (2011) and have been on this forum ever since. I've got a hunch I'm not the only (former) full time aviator on the board, just curious how many of you fly or flew airplanes for a living?

Me: Lost my medical at age 55 but CFI, CFII, MEI, ATP type rated in SA-227, BA-31, SF-340 and EMB-145. Took early retirement from American Eagle when the medical went south and now fly gliders once in a great while.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:21 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
I have met a lot of aviators through te forums. I guess we just needed more aluminum in our lives

As for me I am still actively flying to pay for my Airstream habit.

CFII, MEI, type ratings in; B727,B737, B757/767, B777, LR JET, MD11

Next time you fly on Delta, please check to see if there is an Airstreamer in the cockpit.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:09 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Aviation and Airstream is a natural meld.

xo1rider and Craig, you have flown some mighty-fine airplanes. I am impressed!

I am not typed, but am a long-time aviation geek; some of my earliest memories involve driving by Seattle's Boeing Field and begging my dad to stop so I could look at the new Boeings outside the plant.

I now belong to a vintage aviation organization. I have also worked on the planning and presentation of many aviation-related special events. I have a rather good friend who is an ATPL - typed on the Boeing 737NG.

Also enjoy writing for a historical aviation rag. I admire those who are involved in any and all aspects of aviation, but tend to dwell in the ethereal land of a circa 1930's biplane. There's nothing quite like reaching out of an open cockpit where the wires sing....and touching a cloud. To quote Antoine de St-Exupery...."Happy!"

Old 06-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 21' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Arvada , Colorado
Me too, A&P, IA, and FE, have been doing structural repair since 1975 and am currently a Flight Engineer on a weather research C-130. Every airline I ever worked for went bankrupt (a lot of them) and I now work for The National Center For Atmospheric Research (NCAR).
Aerowood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Fremont , California
Fly at Night,

My heart is in little canvas planes, I "forced" myself to fly nose wheel metal airplanes to pay the bills :-)

Learned to fly at a dirt field in a 7ECA with no radio, gyros not even a VSI or needle and ball. Once I realized I was hooked I enrolled in a G.I. bill program and got my ratings then went to work teaching flying from the backseat of a Decathlon. Finally moved on to part 135 freight then corporate. One more layoff and I started flying Metroliners for a regional that was purchased by AA, finished up in little 50 seat jets.

If I could have made a living I'd have preferred giving glider rides or bi-plane rides. My favorite job was working for an FBO with a Great Lakes and just giving thrill rides :-)

The only airplane I ever owned was a 1946 C-120 with an "armstrong" starter.

Our travel log
Old 06-26-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
It would be easier to count the non-pilots here. Something about the aluminum...or the rivets? Although, I learned on canvas, myself. (7AC).

My medical went "poof" as I was turning pro, so...never got there. But I can work a tail-wheel!
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Fremont , California
Chuck, when I was teaching new private pilots in the tailwheel my mantra on short final was "feets don't fail me now!"

Our travel log
Old 06-26-2012, 03:08 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
I never finished my license, ran out of $$, graduated from college and then moved overseas to teach for a while and even after I got back I never got back to it. I struts on little canvas tail-draggers which did not even have radios. Love, love love vintage airplanes. I am a teacher and an artist, not a pilot-- but my heart leaps when I see a plane flying overhead!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Private pilot here, sold my plane after "forced" retirement and used the money to buy my big John Deere tractor. Lot more use for a tractor on my land than an airplane and no annual to pay for. I do miss flying.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:45 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo1rider View Post
Fly at Night,

My heart is in little canvas planes, I "forced" myself to fly nose wheel metal airplanes to pay the bills :-)

Learned to fly at a dirt field in a 7ECA with no radio, gyros not even a VSI or needle and ball. Once I realized I was hooked I enrolled in a G.I. bill program and got my ratings then went to work teaching flying from the backseat of a Decathlon. Finally moved on to part 135 freight then corporate. One more layoff and I started flying Metroliners for a regional that was purchased by AA, finished up in little 50 seat jets.

If I could have made a living I'd have preferred giving glider rides or bi-plane rides. My favorite job was working for an FBO with a Great Lakes and just giving thrill rides :-)

The only airplane I ever owned was a 1946 C-120 with an "armstrong" starter.
rider, canvas airplanes and grassfields - it doesn't get more rustic than that. Bravo!

My friend dreams of flying one of Branson's space-liners --
I dream of bouncing around in an 80 year-old biplane. We respect each other's interest while finding commonality with the present. I think that speaks to all those who are involved in aviation. Wherever your heart is - it's all good, man.
Those involved in my vintage-aviation group - many are retired aviation professionals. Others are just arm-chair admirers like me. We all find a sense of purpose there and share that common-denominator of heart. I often wonder, are we looking after the airplanes or are the airplanes really looking after us?

I like to "trip out" of the stresses of today's technology and lose myself in the hangar. The great aviator and writer, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, had amazing foresight when he wrote, "The future anthill appals me and I hate the robot virtues." I wander the vintage hangar aimlessly - finding the inspiration for my muse there. It comes easily. Those airplanes - civilian or military - are entwined by the nobler human attributes: adventure, courage, soulfulness, and sacrifice.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
Port Hadlock , Washington
ATP CFII with a little over 10k hours. I flew mostly corporate turboprops, but my last was eleven years ago driving Twin Otters when real life got in the way.

Built a Rutan Long Easy homebuilt many years ago.

cheers,
steve.

Blog: My 57 Caravanner
pbearsailor is offline   Reply With Quote