Old 04-04-2007, 10:17 PM   #1
Certifiable

. , .
Augusta National

Anyone going to the Masters this week?

I've never been to a World Series Game or the Super Bowl or the Masters.
For me, a weekend at Augusta would be heaven. Yes sir!

Old 04-05-2007, 07:27 PM   #2
Certifiable

. , .
Thursday's Leaderboard

Justin Rose........... -3
Brett Wetterich..... -3
David Toms.......... -2
David Howell......... -2
J.J. Henry............. -1

Tiger Woods......... +1
Phil Mickelson....... +4

J.J. Henry, originally from Fairfield, CT, is making his first appearance at the Masters and he has already won some crystal! He knocked it to 16" on the third hole yesterday and won the closest to the pin contest there. Sitting pretty in a tie for fifth place, J.J. is poised to have a wonderful and memorable weekend. Hopefully this will be the first of many weekends at Augusta for J.J.

On a personal note, we have been friends with the entire Henry family for more than 35 years now. I've caddied for J.J's father and grandfather and J.J. actually caddied for me a long, long time ago. I've seen him play in the U.S. Open a couple of times and the PGA. (Couldn't quite make it to the Ryder Cup last year.) If he starts getting himself invited to the Masters on a regular basis, I'd sure like to bring the Argosy down to GA one of these days and cheer him on.

Old 04-06-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
Certifiable

. , .
Cut Day

Brett Wetterich...... -2
Tim Clark............... -2
Vaughn Taylor........ -1

Tiger Woods........... +3

J.J. Henry............... +5
Phil Mickelson.......... +5
Davis Love III.......... +5
Jose M. Olazabal...... +5

Cut ......... +8

Tough conditions today but J.J made the cut in his first Masters and is keeping some pretty good company. He's only seven shots off the pace with a lot of golf still to play. Tied for 27th ain't too shabby but I know he's not satisfied. Tomorrow is "moving day!"
Old 04-06-2007, 07:50 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Get yourself down here next year & we'll get you in.
Bring a few extra quid for a green souvenir & pimento cheese sandwich.

em.

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Masters

Nope ,I prefer to watch it in my Airstream with the heat on,Darn when will Winter weather end?
wbcci ,#3510 NEU & 4cu http://fire1.smugmug.com
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2007, 06:55 PM   #6
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by empresley

em.
Hey! Just saw the post! You can get me in? I'll pm ya right after the update.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:09 PM   #7
Certifiable

. , .
Moving Day

Stuart Appleby...... +2
Tiger Woods......... +3
Justin Rose........... +3

Phil Mickelson........ +6

J.J. Henry............. +10

"Moving Day" was brutal. Tiger had the second best score of the day with a par 72! +2 is the highest 54 hole leading score in Master's history. The cold weather and windy conditions look like they will stick around for Sunday's final round. J.J. is currently tied for 26th and needs a good round to get invited back next year.
Go J.J.!
Old 04-08-2007, 06:33 PM   #8
Certifiable

. , .
Zach Johnson!

Zach Johnson........ +1
Rory Sabbatini....... +3
Retief Goosen........ +3
Tiger Woods.......... +3

J.J. Henry............. +14

Unheralded Zach Johnson shot a 69 on the final day and held off the rest of the field today to claim his first Major today. J.J. Henry had a respectable 76 today but gained so much more in experience. We'll all be seeing more from Zach and J.J. in the future. Congratulations to both!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	h_Zach2_040807.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	35377  
Attached Images

Old 04-23-2008, 11:05 PM   #9
Certifiable

. , .
Unbelievable!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by empresley

em.
em is da man!

Not only did he get me in, he got my wife and my 7-year old son in too.
The day after April Fools Day this year he asked me if I could get down to GA. (We live in CT.) After realizing that this was no prank I (pinched myself and then) asked my wife about going -- and without hesitation she said YES!

(OMG!!! Is this really happening?)

Now for some background: Kids who live every waking hour playing basketball or thinking about basketball or just holding a basketball are known as "gym rats." I was that kind of kid when it came to golf. From sun up to sundown, in all kinds of weather, I lived on a golf course. Caddying, practicing, studying, talking and sometimes even playing. I got to be pretty good as a teen and held my own against far more experienced players than I under some tough tournament conditions. And every year I got better. I eventually got to the point that I knew I wanted to go pro someday.

WAKE UP TIME! Long story short here, there came a point in time when I had to put the head covers back on and concede defeat. I wasn't as good as I thought I was. Going from a pretty good amateur to a respectable professional is a HUGE leap. I had no idea how good those guys were/are that I saw on TV. I'd have to figure out a different way to get on Augusta National....

Many moons passed. False promises were made and broken. It just wasn't gonna happen....

Then along came my trailer, and after that, a Wally Rally. And at that Rally, I found out about these here forums. And on these here forums, I started this here thread! And,

I JUST GOT BACK FROM THIS YEAR'S MASTERS!!!

(more to follow)
Old 04-24-2008, 05:49 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Houston , Texas
Arrow Not a golfer but an Ex Tour fan.

Glad you got to go. Nice jesture on part of a stranger.
Tell us about the prices for "stuff" around Augusta at Master's time.
Oh and did yall take the Airstream? Wher'd you park it and what did that cost?

So did JJ even get in in 2008?
If so how did he do?

Tiger has sucked the wind out of my interest in pro golf watching.
He is fantastic and without rival, and therin lies the rub.
Phil is just a shadow of a challenger. Nice guy who fineshes not last but rarely first either.
Take me back to the days when there were a dozen or more stars and characters on tour.
Now the networks & their mullet announcers make it ALL about Tiger...ALL the time.
Tiger has been good for golf...at the amateur and youth level, but I think he has (not his fault) hurt it greatly ( but slowly) at the Pro Tour level.
The Byron Nelson Classic and the venerable old Colonial (Dallas & Ft.Worth respectively) don't have a "name" player coming this year. Oh maybe some area older guys, but only one from the current top 10 list.
Sponsors and ticket sales are off. Big golf I think is in Big trouble.
This years Master's was almost boring.
We need some Fuzzy Zoellers, Craig Stadlers, Chi Chi Rodriquezes, Tony Lemas, Sam Sneads, Lee Trevinos, Mike Souchaks, Doug Fords, Jimmy Demarets, and many more guys that not only had a personality, but also had a CHANCE to challenge the super stars of their days.
Todays young "guns" are all of the same mold. Boring businesslike, aparatchaks...with little or NO showmanship. IMHO it is bad for the tour.

...aahh..rumm..pu..tum..tummm...
Distantdrummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 12:23 PM   #11
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Distantdrummer
Glad you got to go. Nice jesture on part of a stranger.
Tell us about the prices for "stuff" around Augusta at Master's time.
Oh and did yall take the Airstream? Wher'd you park it and what did that cost?
I'll be addressing this stuff and more ASAP -- hopefully with some pictures.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #12
Certifiable

. , .
Quote:

So did JJ even get in in 2008?
If so how did he do?
No.
No invite this year.
Putting problems....
I'm sure he'll get it turned around soon.
Old 04-24-2008, 01:30 PM   #13
Certifiable

. , .
Those were the days my friend...

Quote:
Tiger has sucked the wind out of my interest in pro golf watching.

He is fantastic and without rival, and therin lies the rub.
Phil is just a shadow of a challenger. Nice guy who fineshes not last but rarely first either.
Take me back to the days when there were a dozen or more stars and characters on tour.
Now the networks & their mullet announcers make it ALL about Tiger...ALL the time.
Tiger has been good for golf...at the amateur and youth level, but I think he has (not his fault) hurt it greatly ( but slowly) at the Pro Tour level.
The Byron Nelson Classic and the venerable old Colonial (Dallas & Ft.Worth respectively) don't have a "name" player coming this year. Oh maybe some area older guys, but only one from the current top 10 list.
Sponsors and ticket sales are off. Big golf I think is in Big trouble.
This years Master's was almost boring.
We need some Fuzzy Zoellers, Craig Stadlers, Chi Chi Rodriquezes, Tony Lemas, Sam Sneads, Lee Trevinos, Mike Souchaks, Doug Fords, Jimmy Demarets, and many more guys that not only had a personality, but also had a CHANCE to challenge the super stars of their days.
Todays young "guns" are all of the same mold. Boring businesslike, aparatchaks...with little or NO showmanship. IMHO it is bad for the tour.
Tiger has reinvigorated my interest in pro golf.

He is a man playing with boys. I guess you can call me a front runner, but I like it when someone or some team totally dominates the competition and changes the way the game is played. Lew Alcindor, Wilt Chamberlin, Michael Jordan, UCLA, The Celtics, The Steelers, 49ers, Bobby Jones, Byron Nelson, Ben Hogan, Arnie.... (Not so much the Yankees though and definitely not Barry Bonds. ) I love watching the Great Ones! They do things never seen or even attempted before. And you're absolutely correct in your assessment of Phil. To me, he is just a nicer version of Tom Weiskopf. But I don't think the old days are THAT much different as far as the competition is concerned. Lots of people had their turn being BMOC. How many tournaments in a row did Iron Byron win? Bobby Jones' Grand Slam still hasn't been matched. Hogan after the accident. Trevino with three Open victories in 2 months time. Tom Watson. Even Johnny Miller ("Johnny Miller the Enigma" they used to call him.) could go on a tear of unbelievable proportions -- and I haven't even mentioned Jack yet!

In my opinion, Tiger Woods is quickly becoming the greatest golfer of all time. Jack will soon be #2. I grew up on Jack. It was his dominating play, in the clutch, that attracted me. NOT his personality. And the media still swoons over him like they did in the good ol' days (and Arnie, and Gary). Remember insightful questions like this: "Nice round today, Tom. Jack is now 4 shots behind you. Do you think he can catch you?" Tiger's getting all the same treatment today. It's just bigger and more intense. And as a result, it makes all the players more guarded.

Have you heard of some of the stories involving Tommy Bolt? Now there was a character! But we'll NEVER see another one like him again due to today's media coverage. The media, the corporate $$$, the need to be in top physical shape, etc., have all contributed to the "aparatchaks" of today.

Tournaments used to be hosted by Bing, Andy and Sammy. Now I couldn't even tell you who's running the GHO here in my backyard.

Tiger is hurting golf? Not IMO.
Old 04-25-2008, 03:43 PM   #14
Certifiable

. , .
(The pics are a bust. Moving on....)

Distantdrummer asked if we took the 'stream. We did.
When I first got the news that we were going to the Masters I instantly started checking out flights down and back. I couldn't believe the prices. Then I checked out the drive and it indicated just over 900 miles. Hmmm, we gotta pick up the badges (NOT tickets) Saturday night and we can't leave until my wife gets out of work on Friday. Plenty of time!!

"And guess what honey, the WDCU Cherry Blossom Rally is on the way!"

Yup. 300 miles and about 8 hours later (thank you NYC traffic ) we pulled into the CBR. We got out, stretched our legs a bit, and ... gave a tour of the trailer!! That's right. We invited Tim Sheppard aka "Safari Tim" of "The VAP" fame in for a peak along with Colin Hyde of GSM Vehicles (who painted our trailer among many other things) and they both very kindly autographed my VAP sticker! WooHoo!!
(One of these days I'm gonna have to get me one them ever elusive Rob Baker autographs.)

Two beers later, I tossed the keys to my wife, packed the kid and the doggie in their proper places, and we were off again.

(To be continued)