Old 12-18-2008, 11:18 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yukon , Oklahoma
Attn: Texas Hill Country Folks

Greetings,

This is a very open ended question, but......

We are hoping to relocate from Oklahoma City to your neck of the woods in the next 3-4 years. We are planning to spend a month or so down there this summer scoping out some of the communities around Fredricksburg, Johnson City, Kerrville and maybe the western edge around Junction.

Does anyone have any suggestions for some nice smaller communities that we should specifically visit. We hope to travel about five to six months out of the year, so we are not looking for acreage - just a lot big enough for the house and hopefully the Airstream on the premises. Both of us will be retired, so work or business prospects are not a concern.

Thanks.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
ScottMac, check out Hamilton, the northern most county considered to be part of the Texas Hill Country. We are 115 miles north of Austin and 115 miles south of Ft. Worth. As a result, we've not been discovered like the rest of the Hill Country and prices for land and housing are significantly lower. Go price a site anywhere you mentioned then come to Hamilton. I'll offer you free parking if that is an issue. Visit the real estate agents and price things here. There is no comparison. Same scenery, a lot fewer folks, better way of life. Just have to drive a ways if an urban area is your cup of tea.
GStephens

Old 12-18-2008, 01:30 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Hunt, TX is a nice, small community just outside of Kerrville. You may find it a bit pricey, though. Medina, TX is another nice small community between Bandera and Kerrville. Land there will be more reasonable than either Hunt or Kerrville. Both are in the Hill Country, very scenic and reasonably close to San Antonio. Pipe Creek is another that is just south of Bandera on TX Hwy 16.

San Saba, TX is located just west of Burnett [Burnit], and north of Llano. It is a nice, small, friendly place that is close to Marble Falls and a bit further to Austin and San Antonio.

I've avoided mentioning Kerrville, Marble Falls, Boerne [Burny], and Fredericksburg because of land costs. Anything near to Austin (Georgetown, Round Rock etc) aren't worth the price in my opinion plus the area hwy's and arteries are always congested.

San Marcos or New Braunfels may bear looking at as well.

Regardless of where you land, you will most certainly be welcomed by the community and will love the area.

Welcome to Texas and Howdy. You will have to learn to wave to passing drivers as it is one of the nicest customs of the area. (Two or more fingers, please.)

_________Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #4
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
My folks lived at Rio Robles in Kerrville about 20-years after retiring. Kept their Silver Streak on the premises, travelled about 5-6 months of the year until a few years ago. Nice neighbors, convenient to everything. Literally on the Guadalupe River across from downtown (part of the old Louis Schreiner Ranch). Give it a look-see as you drive thru the area; there's been a waiting list 40-years since built (as retirees come and go).
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 11:01 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yukon , Oklahoma
Thanks folks,

This is exactly the kind of input we are looking for. We will plan our scouting trips accordingly. We have friends and family on the east side of the DFW metroplex, but would like to be farther south.

We stayed at Meridian State Park last year, but I don't think we actually made it to Hamilton - and have not been in the San Saba area. We have been to San Antonio several times, but never really west of there, so we really are shooting in the dark here.

In Oklahoma, we do wave to other motorists routinely with two or more fingers (unless, of course, we spot front Texas plates!! - I guess that will have to change!) and.....we always stop to help the Harley riders pick up the pieces of their bikes that fall off. (we ride a Goldwing)
Old 12-20-2008, 11:40 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
The southern fringes of the Hill Country can be pleasant without being too pricey. We looked along the Comfort to Sisterdale axis (both small towns) about 20 miles north of Boerne.

In fact, we have a 25 acre parcel for sale in this area (please contact off forum, if interested).

And I'm originally from Missouri, so I pick on Oklahomans and Texans equally!

John W
Old 12-20-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
What is everyone's opinion about the area around Blanco? I travel to Austin about every three weeks and drove down to Blanco for lunch last month.
Old 12-20-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
My opinion is that Blanco's a pretty nice hill country town but it's got one significant problem - lack of water. The only water available there is from the Blanco river and it has been known to go dry during a drought.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Blanco's cool - and as Crusty mentioned, H2O can be a problem... dig a deeper well... Mason's a nice town, Llano, Junction, anything might strick your fancy close to the two major towns - San Antone & Austin. Bastrop's a nice place (Piney woods of central Texas), so is Brady... but then so is Temple and Waco ("We Ain't Coming Out") depending on your druthers. In between Temple and Austin is Salado... country side is pretty...

Land around Kerrville, Fredricksburg, New Braunfels and Austin will be expensive. Deals now, however, can be found. Good luck in your travels and move!

PS, being a native Texan, I've always thought of where y'all live as being part of far north Texas. Then a good buddy of mine from Ponca City, corrected me. Said I was from Baja Oklahoma...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 10:49 PM   #10
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
My folks lived at Rio Robles in Kerrville about 20-years after retiring. Kept their Silver Streak on the premises, travelled about 5-6 months of the year until a few years ago. Nice neighbors, convenient to everything. Literally on the Guadalupe River across from downtown (part of the old Louis Schreiner Ranch). Give it a look-see as you drive thru the area; there's been a waiting list 40-years since built (as retirees come and go).
Forgot to mention that they have an RV campground. Recommend a night or so here as you check out the Kerrville/Guadalupe environs. Afraid they have no website, nor do any satellite pics do it justice. Before my folks moved we hauled the Anodized Giant up from the coast for a stay of several days. Best of both worlds in visiting ones folks: close, and yet away in the evenings (by all of a quarter-mile, and down the hill by the river).
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 07:08 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
My opinion is that Blanco's a pretty nice hill country town but it's got one significant problem - lack of water. The only water available there is from the Blanco river and it has been known to go dry during a drought.
Crusty - Blanco's water comes via pipeline from Canyon Lake. I can't bet on it, but I doubt much city water comes from the river any more. Land prices haven't gone thru the room yetl, but will in time as the Austin & San Antonio folks discover it. The only problem may be smaller plots. There is a development between Blanco & Wimberley, on RR2325, called Hill Country Ranches (known as White Rabbit to the locals, too long a story) where all plots are 5 to 10 acres. Mobile homes & "manufactured" homes not allowed, but a very laid back community - hey, they allowed ME to buy & build here, so . . . . And no restricions on your AS showing to the street. Businesses are not allowed to operate from your property - ie, no auto repair shops allowed. It's easy driving distances to Austin, San Antonio, San Marcus and obviously Blanco / Wimberley for groceries. The whole area is very laid back, in fact some individualism is almost expected. PM me for more info is desired.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:13 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottMac View Post
Greetings, This is a very open ended question, but......Does anyone have any suggestions for some nice smaller communities that we should specifically visit. We hope to travel about five to six months out of the year, so we are not looking for acreage - just a lot big enough for the house and hopefully the Airstream on the premises. Both of us will be retired, so work or business prospects are not a concern. Thanks.
ScottMac - I forgot in my earlier post, but NTAC (North Texas Airstream Community, an Airstream-only gated & secure community at Hillsboro, TX) is really cool and you should definately check it out. They have what they call "villas" which are metal buildings with small'ish living accomodations perfect for the enthusiastic traveller wanting to down-size and minimize house work, and they have the more conventional "brick & stick" homes - all designed with large "garages" to house your Airstream(s) out of the weather. There is also a gardening service to maintain your landscaping while you are on the road and a house cleaning service too!! The location is convenient and the city has good medical care, including a hospital and shopping - the required Walmart among others. The folks that live there are super welcoming & friendly and always wave or drop by for a nice chat when I've visited there. They recently completed a total renovation of their "Terra Port" with 30 or more full hookup sites, a community meeting room and washer / dryer facilities. You can call 254-582-5566 or ntaci.org

The Necessary Disclaimer - Sadly, I have no affiliation or ownership position at NTAC nor will I benefit in any way if any sale results. Darn it! It's just a really cool place for the enthusiastic Airstreamer.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:21 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2015 23' FB International
2007 19' International CCD
Steamboat Springs , Colorado
Whitsend,
Do you know anything about the Ranches at Brushy Top? A friend has a lot there.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:40 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Steamy - All I know about The Ranches at Brushy Top is that it is a HUGE development on prime hill country land facing along the Hwy 281 between Blanco & Johnson City ~ making a drive into Austin easy. You should know that almost by defination, this area has very little fertile pasture type land. LOTS of land with thin soil sitting on top of limestone. But the views are beautiful. I can check into TR@BT if you like, no problem - just PM me specifically what you want to know.