Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2006, 10:22 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
AS Scrapbooking & Cross-Stitch??

Hello all -

This HAS to be the place to ask these questions.

The wife is scrapbooking ie. "Creative Memories", making memory books of our trips with SilverToy. Alas, she has yet to find AS stickers and the like - plenty of SOB type things but they just don't mesh with the whole Streamin' silver trailer thing we are living. Any thoughts, ideas, store names, internet addresses or similar??

Along those lines - she is also a cross-stitcher and is looking for AS patterns. Nature with a certain silver trailer in it is AOK too. Again, any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance for any and all replies!

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:36 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
I was looking for a cross stitch pattern of an Airstream a while back and couldn't find one. I even tried the softwares where you make a cross stitch chart with a grid over a photograph, but I couldn't get very good results from my attempts to get a good pattern. But those softwares are available.
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 04:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
There's a place online that sells rubber stamps of vintage RVS and Airstreams. These might be good for scrapbooking.

http://www.stampaswego.com/trailer.html

-J
Doug & Jamie, AIR #650
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:52 PM   #4
RubyBegonia

Milwaukee , Wisconsin
My mom too scrapbooks all her adventures in Chummy. She only uses Creative Memories products, for two reasons, they are the best and I sell them. I would recommend not putting any other types of stickers in the albums, even if you find an airstream one. They are not as high of quality and will not last as long as the CM stickers. Plus when you mix companies' products it tends to look odd. The stamps are ok (I will go check out that site for stamps for my mom). Mom puts lots of memorabilia in hers and so many pictures of Chummy, she does not need stickers of it. Just my thoughts.
RubyBegonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:45 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Elgin , Texas
Anyone have any luck?

I've been looking for a cross stitch pattern, too, and I found one that has a trailer similar to an AS, but not quite what I'm looking for. Stymied on the scrapbooking stuff, too!

1994 34' Classic Ltd
2002 Chevy C/C 4X4 Duramax
2006 VW Jetta TDI
ginger126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 10:50 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I'm afraid commerically produced, cross-stiching patterns, if they look "just like a Airstream" or have the name Airstream on them will fall under the trademarking issues. Airstream Corporate would have to approve them...thus making your own for personal use is probably the best you are going to find....besides, it's more creative!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2006, 11:16 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1994 34' Limited
Elgin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut
I'm afraid commerically produced, cross-stiching patterns, if they look "just like a Airstream" or have the name Airstream on them will fall under the trademarking issues. Airstream Corporate would have to approve them...thus making your own for personal use is probably the best you are going to find....besides, it's more creative!

Shari
I figured as much. In terms of the "creative" part, well, I'm afraid cross stitching is about as creative I get. Unless I find some very idiot proof software to turn a photo of our AS into a cross stitch pattern, I'm in trouble!

1994 34' Classic Ltd
2002 Chevy C/C 4X4 Duramax
2006 VW Jetta TDI
ginger126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:59 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Ridgefield , Connecticut
I have a suggestion you might want to try to create your own cross stitch pattern: Open a picture of your AS in Photoshop and experiment with the Artistic filter named CUTOUT. Play around with the options and it will simplify your photo into areas of color which you could then reinterpret with your stitching floss. I tried it with a photo of my trailer and it worked pretty well. I've included a sample here. I turned the photo to black and white first, then adjusted the contrast a little, but it would also work with a color photo. If you don't have Photoshop and you like the way this looks, I'd be happy to try it for you- just email me your picture. Maybe something lke this will work.
Good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cutout.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	22611  
Old 01-13-2008, 10:36 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2003 34' Classic
1996 28' Excella
Winchester , Tennessee
I was just looking at Current Catalog - One Stop Shop for Cards Wraps and Gifts
They do have some papers and stickers for AS scrapbooking. I too scrap and have been looking. Pioneer makes a silver scrapbook also in 12 x 12 size or 8.5 x 11 size. You can see these at Pioneer Photo Albums, Scrapbooks, Refill Pages, and More. Good luck and happy scrapping!
tinman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1989 29' Excella
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to loudruff Send a message via MSN to loudruff Send a message via Yahoo to loudruff
rubberstamps

I have been making AS greeting cards for a long time using the Stamp As We Go rubberstamps. You can use them on sticker paper and shiny silver paper using special inks made for nonporous surfaces. Works great!
Lou
Air #2695
TAC- OH 2
#1420 NOVA 4-006 Charter member

loudruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:12 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2003 22' International CCD
Ledyard , Connecticut
My daughter was successful taking an old slide photo of my father's 1954 red convertible editing the image of the car and shrinking it to about an inch so we could use it as a sticker in a 50th anniversary scrapbook for my parents. I think she used photoshop or some other common photo editing program. She is not a professional, but did a fantastic job. I am sure the same thing can be done with an image of the Airstream.

As far as cross stitch patterns of Airstreams, I have an embroidery program for my Husquvarna Designer 1 sewing machine that will create a cross stitch design of any image.

Of course, if you are not already someone who owns the software and machine, you might check with your local sewing center to find someone who specializes in digitizing images for you.

I have the software and machine, but haven't mastered the program yet. I am wondering, is there a potential market for this type of service among Airstreamers?
Maybe I just found a new job?????

Mary

The more I try to understand people, the better I like my dog.
rettoc625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 10:56 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
It has been my experience that ANYTHING you can come up with that looks good and with some degree of quality will sell to Airstreamers. According to this thread, any cross stitch with an Airstream in it would sell. I think I'd contact AS in Jackson Center, OH and see what they might come up with - to sell to AS owners. If they had anything in a Classic, a Safari, or any of the vintage models, I believe they would sell lots of them. They could make their profit on each one - $1 each or whatever, and it would probably become a line item on their budget. Royaly Fee - Ohio State takes in nearly $10M per year in royalties - why not Airstream??? Good luck with your search. I know my wife would buy it - whatever it is.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 01:14 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubyBegonia
My mom too scrapbooks all her adventures in Chummy. She only uses Creative Memories products, for two reasons, they are the best and I sell them. I would recommend not putting any other types of stickers in the albums, even if you find an airstream one. They are not as high of quality and will not last as long as the CM stickers. Plus when you mix companies' products it tends to look odd. The stamps are ok (I will go check out that site for stamps for my mom). Mom puts lots of memorabilia in hers and so many pictures of Chummy, she does not need stickers of it. Just my thoughts.
OK so the CM are the best. But that's just your opinion. Mixing different brands together works just fine and don't spoil the looks. It's how they are used and the finished prduckt that makes them tell the story. I love CM products but there's always room for theres Jist wanted to straighten that out. You can mix a varety of brands.
I have a rubber stamp that looks like an airstream and I've made some very nice looking cards. You have to remember to work "outside the box"
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote