Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-12-2012, 06:43 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
North Charleston , South Carolina
Has anyone had any luck deterring birds? I started the annual shine 'er up and noticed bird doo all over the streetside of my 76. I am uncertain of the type of bird I caught attacking initially (it's not a common bird to our area) but this a.m. I heard something hit the aluminum only to find a couple of robins stalking the "other" birds from our neighbor's rooftop.

Just hoping the great heron that hangs out by the pond doesn't wonder over that way!
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 09:06 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
If they are always focused on a specific area, I'd just throw a blanket over it or temporarily tape some butcher paper or a tablecloth over it.

We don't have the issue w/ the newer As's non- mirror oat, but we did have a bird who was determined to try to sit on the curved declined between the roof and sidewall, and have scratches all over the place from him sliding around.

Then we had a goose that stayed up on our roof for a good hour, which really caused a stir with the other geese:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2314798541.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	493.1 KB
ID:	158114
Old 05-12-2012, 10:06 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
We have had more than a normal amount of bird activity this year around the mirrors on my truck, windows on the truck and the AS. The biggest issue for us has been the bird poop all over the truck and the AS. Bags over the mirrors help on the truck mirrors. The rest is hopeless.

We experienced this same high level of bird activity in Florida in Feb.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:10 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I work out of my home office and a pair of Goldfinches have decided that my window screen material would make great nesting material. They both cling to the screen and peck away at the screen wire (nylon). No amount of banging on the window and hollering at them deters them from their hormone driven course! Now I have to replace the screen.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 11:52 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Corpus Christi , Texas
Guard Flamingo

Have you tried deploying your pink flamingos? They will, most likely, chase off any intruder that gets too close to their beloved aluminum...
Ours patrols until dark and then just kicks back on the front somewhere and lights up till dawn. No bird attacks yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	kickin back with flamingo.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	158122  

WBCCI 3805
AIR 54011 Since July 2011
casa3805 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:35 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
For a while, we had a ton of birds seeking shelter from the sun on our patio....and patio furniture..:P. we made our our own decoys in addition to mr owl: Hanging old CDs DVDs on string. The movement of the light seemed to keep them at bay. Btw, they actually sell the same things on the internet...holograms in shapes. Good luck
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 07:23 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
Has anyone had any luck deterring birds? !
Had a hormonal thrasher flying at the large living room window for hours, found an old mirror 12X12 tile and set it up just below the window, it was satisfied for the rest of the season.
A couple of years ago we had a piliated woodpecker fly up to the window and peck holes in the aluminum strip that holds the glass in place, then decided it was fun to grab the top of the aluminum pillar between panels and slide down 5 ft, and repeat for hours. Never did solve this problem it just went away after awhile.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I work out of my home office and a pair of Goldfinches have decided that my window screen material would make great nesting material. They both cling to the screen and peck away at the screen wire (nylon). No amount of banging on the window and hollering at them deters them from their hormone driven course! Now I have to replace the screen.
Maybe you should try hanging some nesting material like string, thread, etc on or very near your screens. It might make them happy and give them something else to do besides peck your screens to bits!
Birds in general this time of year, or whenever they decide to nest, can get very territorial towards other birds or what they think are other birds, as we all can attest to. I think we just won't polish our trailer.

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 09:57 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Had to repolish an area 3 times last week because of a robbin.........toastie
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:05 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Speaking of bird attacks....

We were on a rural road (our favorite) one day when we saw ahead a gathering of buzzards feeding on something in the road. Doug slowed a bit, expecting them all to get out of the way, which they did---but for one who was just too intent on the carrion feast.

It took off just a second too late and we hit it. The impact cracked the front grill in several places, and imbedded within bits of said buzzard.

Yuk!

Maggie
Old 05-13-2012, 10:27 AM   #31
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Friend of mine hit one with his MC and it got caught between his windshield and his body. The thing threw up on him making its escape. You know that stuff they eat isn't in that good of shape when it goes down, much worse when comes back up. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Excella
Northern , California
Did this all happen at Bodega Bay?
Kamiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:25 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Springfield , Oregon
birds and airstreams

I use curtain sheers, on the outside, where needed. They are light, will not scratch the airstream, blow in the wind as another deterrent.
I fasten the sheers to awning parts with clips.
A neighbor taped plastic bags on the RV windows with blue tape. That also worked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerriO View Post
If they are always focused on a specific area, I'd just throw a blanket over it or temporarily tape some butcher paper or a tablecloth over it.

We don't have the issue w/ the newer As's non- mirror oat, but we did have a bird who was determined to try to sit on the curved declined between the roof and sidewall, and have scratches all over the place from him sliding around.

Then we had a goose that stayed up on our roof for a good hour, which really caused a stir with the other geese:

Attachment 158114
Air 6530
coastal me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:56 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

1976 25' Caravanner
North Charleston , South Carolina
Thanks to everyone who offered up advice/experiences. BAAMbi7 mentioned cds and I remembered my gramps using old pie pans to keep the birds out of his corn. So I made mobiles out of cds and some scrap metal pieces I had sitting around. This a.m. I saw the two robins in my neighbor's back yard. They seemed confused by the new "rucaty art" as I call it. (Recyled Use of Crap Around The Yard)

Casa3805 - I'm working on a backup flamingo art piece to deploy as a phase 2. Right now I am flamingo-less. So sad I know but I do finally have party lights!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	birddeterrent.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	158382  
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1959 17' Pacer
Long Beach , California
I think someone should install a rubber backed electrical wire mesh that is draped over the trailer. That way, when a bird lands on and makes contact between the outside of the mesh and the shell of the trailer, it will electrocute itself.

It will not only solve the bird droppings problem, but will provide free dinner!

1959 Pacer 18' Renovation - Knight in Shining Armor

Our Adventure Blog - Documenting our backpacking, hiking, camping, and Airstreaming
(still updating, haven't gotten to the Airstream trips yet)
worldinchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' Sport
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Scottsdale , Arizona
star..
glad I could help! thanks for the pic! our backyard looked similar, kind of like the holidays - we had 'em hanging in the trees! continued success!! happy summer...
BAAMbi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 06:33 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Cardinal Sin

Here's the Cardinal that took exception to our presence at Wheatley Provincial Park in Ontario:

We called him Richelieu....

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:11 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldinchaos View Post
I think someone should install a rubber backed electrical wire mesh that is draped over the trailer. That way, when a bird lands on and makes contact between the outside of the mesh and the shell of the trailer, it will electrocute itself.

It will not only solve the bird droppings problem, but will provide free dinner!

Ummm, I think that probably in the process of being electrocuted, the bird would "empty" out, and you would have even MORE bird droppings on your trailer. Cleaning them off migh t be a little dicey for you. But go ahead and try that one - the surviving members of your family can let us know how it went. (just kidding - I wouldn't wish harm on anyone, even the birds )

Kay
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:13 PM   #39
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Sounds like either post a fake owl, some CDs, or your flamingos is the answer. Or, move further away from the birds' nests.