Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2007, 07:58 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
rio rico , Arizona
Arizona camping??

Anybody stay at lower Wahweap CG lately, and what's the verdict? We will hit Page, AZ in April to visit Antelope Cyn. and it looks like Lower Wahweap is the place. Any info would be greatly appreciated...and while I'm at it...how about Goulding's Lodge in Monument Valley? Allllso...Mi Casa down in Nogales? Will be spending a few days settling paperwork, etc. on the new digs in Rio Rico. Ah..sun, sun ,sun!!!!
Cheers, Jeff
Equal-i-zer hitch
"Home is where the ART is"
claybags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 08:53 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Hey Cbags.... can't speak to all of your AZ destinations... However on Gouldings

This was from one of my previous posts......

Gouldings is a great place with all of the comforts of home and wonderful views... unusual for a place with full hooks and cable TV with Showtime and an indoor pool and free internet... Most RV parks leave something to be desired this place is very nice. Strongly recommend bringing an outdoor rug to avoid tracking red dirt into your Airstream.. I'd go back again.
However June and all of the summer months are hot. IMO this is a better spring or fall destination. We were there last weekend of Sept and it was still mid 80s during the day. Night time temps fell 30 degrees. It is very warm June, July, Aug.

welcome to AZ....
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:16 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Page AZ

Jeff -

Having been in the Page area this past fall, all I can say is YES!!! We stayed at the campground in town (don't remember why I picked it!) and it was pretty OK - UP near the top of a BIG hill and as such got good views & breezes.... a BIG plus in those temps. It was in the high 80's, low 90's. Decent at night. Those 80's/ 90's are HOT!!! It is dry and HOT. Did I mention the heat?

Glen Canyon Dam is AWESOME! Can't say enough about it... kids LOVED it too. There are 1/2 day Colorado Float trips from the foot of the dam - recommend that highly! Be prepared for the temp differentials though! 30's on the river at 7am (when we were there) and over a 100 by afternoon time.

We also rented a boat for a day on Lake Page - talk about terrific!? Simply awesome. Would do that again in a flat second. We rented from a Co. in Big Water UT - less than 1/2 what Wahweap was getting, but you do have to launch/ land/ tow the boat. No biggie for me after pulling the AirStream. We launched out of the Wahweap north landing, and drove around Wahweap south. That's were the campground is located.

It looks like it could get SUPER busy. In fact it was pretty loaded up in Sept. when we were there. LOTS of rental class-c's with people who don't normally camp... analogy time: ever bowl around folks that don't normally bowl and have NONE of the courtesy/ protocol stuff down? Arg. Similar IMO. It is right by the water though. LOTS of jetski noise and such.

All the above being said, we will be going back. Will seriously consider Wahweap, but NOT in the summer, and NOT at what they consider 'high season'. Also the boat rental thing is a MUST, IMO.

BTW - if water levels are OK, Antelope Canyon is BEST seen and approached from the water. So is Rainbow Bridge. In fact, Lake Page is just awesome to see, everywhere! Wow, having terrific memories flashback just writing about it.

Hope the above info help in some way. Enjoy that trip! I wanna go!!!!!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 11:49 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Good information.
Just for claricifation if anyone is doing a search - The town located there is Page, AZ and the lake is Lake Powell.
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Whoops - your right!

Whoops - your right! Had my names all goofed up. Opinions on the locations are however accurate - I think...? Thanks for the correction!

Axel
SilverToy
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 12:33 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
Benicia , California
I was at Waheap over Thanksgiving weekend, it was great. Hardly anyone there at that time. Later we went and boondocked at a beach towards the Utah border. I think it is a camping area designed for offroad/atv types but there were only 2 other trailers there. No facilities, but you can park and camp right along the waters edge. Now I forget the name, but it is in all the park literature/websites.
Stan Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 06:51 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Antelope Canyon

FYI
The lower canyon is on public land and is free. The upper canyon is on indian land and you have to pay a fee and I think is guided. Never did the upper canyon but the lower trip was great. When you get to the bottom of the canyon where it enters the lake it can be muddy.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2007, 08:44 AM   #8
Antiquepedaler

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Laramie , Wyoming
We stayed in Wahweap CG in October. What a change from what it was years ago. It is no longer on the wind blown ridge, but below with totally upgraded facilities. We stayed in the dry camp area, just a few bucks with our Golden Age pass. There's also a brand new full hook up section. A paved walk way along the shore line for several miles is great for an evening stroll. Here's a pix along the walk way.
Old 02-12-2007, 08:48 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
rio rico , Arizona
Thanks

What a group!!! Thanks now and in advance for all the info. I'll be on a photo shoot, so all guides, etc for Antelope have been set up already. This will all take place the 2nd week of April, so shouldn't be too hot or crowded yet....I hope. Will also spend a few days in Sedona and Oak Creek Cyn. before heading further South. Will stay at Rancho Sedona.
Again..thanks to all.
Cheers, Jeff
Equal-i-zer hitch
"Home is where the ART is"
claybags is offline   Reply With Quote