Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
M&H

1979 30' Argosy
Calvin , West Virginia
Argosy question...

I just bought a 1979 Argosy 30' with four beds in the center (bunks) and a rear bath. It is all original, and has only been on the pavement twice since new. Original down to the tires. Awesome shape, and I got a good deal... my question is, how rare is this configuration, or how many were made?
Thanks,
Mark
M&H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 10:35 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&H View Post
I just bought a 1979 Argosy 30' with four beds in the center (bunks) and a rear bath. It is all original, and has only been on the pavement twice since new. Original down to the tires. Awesome shape, and I got a good deal... my question is, how rare is this configuration, or how many were made?
Thanks,
Mark
Mark.

Posting the trailer serial will help to better answer your question.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:39 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1986 Argosy
Denver , Pennsylvania
I don't have a clue, but when I bought my 86 Argosy 33FK I called Airstream @ 1 (937) 596-6111. They were really knowledgable, and I learned a lot!Congrats on your new find! May you wear it out
Catman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 03:17 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
not alot

There are not alot of 30 footer Agronski's out there... post a picture of the center bunks.. my 58 30 footer has center twins with overhead bunks.. Congrats on the find!
https://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - https://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 08:40 AM   #5
M&H

1979 30' Argosy
Calvin , West Virginia
I'm new to posting, but wanted to tell you gentlemen "thanks" for the answers. My Argosy serial number is 30T9J3257. Will post pics later when I get to haul it home.

Mark
Old 01-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Argosy question...

Greetings Mark!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Argosy Ownerhsip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&H View Post
I'm new to posting, but wanted to tell you gentlemen "thanks" for the answers. My Argosy serial number is 30T9J3257. Will post pics later when I get to haul it home.

Mark
Your coach is from the last model year of production for the first generation of the Argosy brand. Your VIN raises questions about Argosy "Facts" that have generally been accepted to be true. Your VIN would decode as follows (according to the information that I have):

30T9J3257
  • 30 -- Length of Coach, in feet, measured from tip of the tongue to the trailing edge of the rear bumper -- the actual length was rounded either up or down to the 30' indicated.
  • T -- Center Twin Bed arrangment
  • 9 -- 1979 Model Year (last digit of the model year in VIN)
  • J -- This is the curious factor for me. Prior to this, I only recall V or S being utilized to identify factory location
    • V = Versailles, OH -- once said to be the only plant where first generation Argosys were manufactured.
    • S = Cerritos, CA -- Several coaches have surfaced with the S in the VIN and certain factory literature does mention the California factory.
    • J = Not having encountered mention of this code, my guess would be Jackson Center, OH.
  • 3257 -- The sequential serial number.
My suspicion is that you will likely find that the coach has a very late 1979 model year date of production on its VIN tag. If I were to speculate, my guess would be that a final short run of first generation Argosy trailers may have been made in the Jackson Center plant, but I have no facts upon which to base this speculation.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
M&H

1979 30' Argosy
Calvin , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
Greetings Mark!

Welcome to the world of Vintage Argosy Ownerhsip!

Your coach is from the last model year of production for the first generation of the Argosy brand. Your VIN raises questions about Argosy "Facts" that have generally been accepted to be true. Your VIN would decode as follows (according to the information that I have):

30T9J3257
  • 30 -- Length of Coach, in feet, measured from tip of the tongue to the trailing edge of the rear bumper -- the actual length was rounded either up or down to the 30' indicated.
  • T -- Center Twin Bed arrangment
  • 9 -- 1979 Model Year (last digit of the model year in VIN)
  • J -- This is the curious factor for me. Prior to this, I only recall V or S being utilized to identify factory location
    • V = Versailles, OH -- once said to be the only plant where first generation Argosys were manufactured.
    • S = Cerritos, CA -- Several coaches have surfaced with the S in the VIN and certain factory literature does mention the California factory.
    • J = Not having encountered mention of this code, my guess would be Jackson Center, OH.
  • 3257 -- The sequential serial number.
My suspicion is that you will likely find that the coach has a very late 1979 model year date of production on its VIN tag. If I were to speculate, my guess would be that a final short run of first generation Argosy trailers may have been made in the Jackson Center plant, but I have no facts upon which to base this speculation.

Good luck with your coach!

Kevin
Kevin,

Thanks for the thorough answer, and for decoding my serial number. The "J" is on the title, and on the front of the coach. The argosy has original stripes which are three shades of blue and it says "Argosy by Airstream" in the decals. I've read that the length is supposed to be on a decal near the front, but this one does not have that. Anyway, I'm happy with my find. Liked your pictures, especially of your cadillac ready to tow. Thanks again,
Mark