Old 07-26-2006, 06:05 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
Folsom , California
When I'm elected President there'll be 2 Airstreams in every yard . . . whoops, wrong thread . . .

For now I have to settle on being an Architect (who loves airstreams - I think it's the end caps, whether it's 13, 7, 5, 3 . . . paneled, airstream always seams to get the geometry just right).

B-Arch, U of Oregon

Aluminumbskull with Led Balloon in Drag
Birch Plywood and Aluminum go together like
Peanut Butter and Chocolate
MarkR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 06:53 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Dang! I had a long gravel driveway and a 1971 vintage Airstream parked perpendicular at the base, but I paved the driveway and sold the Airstream, yet I am an architect.

B-Arch 1968 University of Cincinnati and an architect in IN, IL, MI, KY, MN, OK, LA, TX, WY, MT and AZ.

Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 08:37 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Timeless Design

Bob Thompsonís words reminded me of the year ago morning when I was looking for breakfast in downtown Mason City, Iowa and came across Frank Lloyd Wrightís 1920ís PARK INN being restored.

I was stunned to realize that this 80 year old building looked like it had been designed yesterday.

Thatís what the best of good design achieves I think, TIMELESSNESS.

Airstream and its early aluminum competitors, Frank Lloyd Wrightís magnificent buildings, all of these have the quality of enduring beauty.

I have a Knoll chair designed by Erno Saarinen in 1946 (that I bought new in the 1970ís) that still looks like it could have been designed last month.

All these examples show us that we donít need to be architects or designers to be effected by their best work.

Sergei
Attached Images

Old 07-26-2006, 10:45 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
My interpretation of the SIL's comment is that he was being subtle about volunteering to spruce up the rest of the place. I think the only honourable thing to do would be to invite him back out and put him to work. He'll be very appreciative of your ability to pick up on his hint, and probably enjoy coming back out often to work on the place for you. Or, he may just stop making suggestions. Either way you win!
Barry
Old 07-27-2006, 11:21 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
My interpretation of the SIL's comment is that he was being subtle about volunteering to spruce up the rest of the place. I think the only honourable thing to do would be to invite him back out and put him to work. He'll be very appreciative of your ability to pick up on his hint, and probably enjoy coming back out often to work on the place for you. Or, he may just stop making suggestions. Either way you win!
Barry
My wife and I couldn't ask for a better son-in-law. Our daughter done good. They live 2 1/2 hours drive away so we see them often. His father lives a few minutes from us and he has done some project drawings for him. I have only asked him to help with occassional handyman projects to which he helps exceedingly well. He IS very impressed with the Airstream. I suppose we should invite him, daughter, grandson and the new one on the way for a camping outting. Do ya think? I will pass the thread and all your replies on to him as I know he will appreciate them.
Neil.
Old 07-28-2006, 07:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by anholman
My wife and I couldn't ask for a better son-in-law.
Neil.
But of course, he is an architect.
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 08:20 PM   #21

Currently Looking...
oakland , California
As the subject of this lively thread, I suppose I should speak up and add my two cents if only to defend myself! While some may construe my comment to my dear father in-law as a back handed compliment, I assure everyone it was made in the heat of the moment as an enthusiastic affirmation of his decision to purchase a vintage Airstream. And I appreciate the waxing poetic about integrated environments and timeless design but when it comes right down to the trailer...it's beautiful!

-son in-law