Old 02-25-2004, 02:49 PM   #71
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Charlie.

Hopefully not your house, and is everyone ok?

Gives a new meaning to "firewall"

I digress....

Jonathan

Old 02-25-2004, 03:13 PM   #72
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by crazylev
Charlie.

Hopefully not your house, and is everyone ok?

Gives a new meaning to "firewall"

I digress....

Jonathan
No, I wasn't affected. Someone brought it in for service. (yes, it still works)

- Charlie

Old 02-25-2004, 03:20 PM   #73
3 Rivet Member

...sort of sets an extreme temperature range for LCD screens, heh?...
Old 02-25-2004, 08:20 PM   #74
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Angry I was on the other end of the shaft

Quote:
Originally posted by Porky Pig

I remember selling a ton of those back in '86 ... for $2495!!! If you wanted an extra Megabyte of RAM .. you shelled out another $995!!!

SuperMac 40XP (40MB) hard drives retailed for $1995!

I sure don't miss the good old days.
Yeah, and I bought one of those when it was only a 128K Mac for that price. :::first 100 day buyer:::
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:24 PM   #75
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You're bringin' be back down Memory Lane here!

Nice to see so many Mac folks here.

Not sure if I shared this with anyone, but this past summer, I took the Bambi to one of the nearby state parks. I seemed to have taken the campsite that was right next to the beach path.

I had only the screen door open and one passing group said...."Look, it even has a computer that looks like it!" It was my 17" Airstream Powerbook G4!
Old 02-25-2004, 08:24 PM   #76
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Re: Baked Apple

Quote:
Originally posted by idahosafari

Got any good ideas on what to do with this burned iBook?

- Charlie
You would think Apple's advertising agency could come up with something creative with your iBook in an ad. Maybe a hot deal sale.
Old 02-25-2004, 09:41 PM   #77
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Silvertwinkie
I had only the screen door open and one passing group said...."Look, it even has a computer that looks like it!" It was my 17" Airstream Powerbook G4!
Just add rivets...
Old 02-25-2004, 09:47 PM   #78
3 Rivet Member

Re: Re: Baked Apple

Quote:
Originally posted by Davydd

You would think Apple's advertising agency could come up with something creative with your iBook in an ad. Maybe a hot deal sale.
Apple actually did something like that with the Apple IIe in the '70's. I don't think it was successful. I've never met any one who bought a certain kind of computer based on how well they thought it would survive a fire

- Charlie
Old 03-06-2004, 07:11 PM   #79
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Working and working wirelessly

Another update. I'm now on DSL and sitting in my easy chair with the computer on my lap. I have the Craftsman style chair with the wide wooden arms so I can use my wireless bluetooth mouse while connected through an Airport base station. Life is grand.

:::ah! warm thighs:::
Old 03-09-2004, 07:30 PM   #80
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
OMG....I feel dirty....

I had to screw with a Win2k box last 2 nights. Haven't yet played with one until today....

I offer the following observations:

Folks that need to use PCs for software...god love 'em.

Folks that don't, RUN, don't walk.

I could hardly believe how many flaming loops I had to go through to make that blasted thing work. Besides for some specfic software, why would anyone subject themselves to these nasty little monsters???

Why on god's green Earth would anyone want to put someone through all that B.S. unless it was really needed. I think PCs when they work are cool, but I had not screwed much with PCs since 95...I let the tech staff do that....now I know why.

Maybe XP is nicer, but hey I feel for you PC users when these darn things decided to not play nice in the sandbox.....the more things change....the more they stay the same......

One word can describe it....OUCH.....sorry.....

I mean the updates that were needed and all the issues.....outside of some specific software needs, even updating Explorer was a national event. Never, and I mean never have I ever had to do any of what I did these past two days on a Mac.

The PC is dead...long live the PC....
Old 03-09-2004, 08:41 PM   #81
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Mac OS X and Windows XP

I use my Mac at home and a Windows XP Dell at work. I'm left handed. With my Mac I handle the single mouse with my left hand. With Windows I use a three button mouse with my right hand. :::strange:::

At work it is Microsoft Office Outlook, Word, Excel and Powerpoint, Internet Explorer, FileMaker Pro and a CAD program, Bentley Microstation AND Lotus Notes. That's it.

At home it is Microsoft Office Entourage (Outlook eq.), Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, Internet Explorer, Safari, FileMaker Pro, a CAD program Engineered Software's PowerCADD, AND Adobe Photoshop, iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, iDVD, Final Cut Express, Roxio Toast 6 Titanium, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe GoLive, Adobe Acrobat Pro, Adobe InDesign, Reunion 8 genealogy, Painter, and tons of stuff I have no time to get to.

I got two Macs set up on DSL wireless in less than an hour with minimal instructions and clicking a one button mouse and only typing in a user name and a password.

At work, after 12 years going through MS DOS, IBM OS2, Windows NT and now Windows XP it all still remains a mystery and a call to the Help Desk whenever something goes wrong. "Computer Guy" has to come in to set up anything different.

I live in both worlds. Needless to say I enjoy using my Mac because of my graphics applications and just the pure joy of computing. My very big corporation uses Windows PCs except for the Advertising group. They use Macs because of the graphics applications too.
Old 03-09-2004, 11:18 PM   #82
3 Rivet Member

Re: Mac OS X and Windows XP

Quote:
Originally posted by Davydd
I use my Mac at home and a Windows XP Dell at work. I'm left handed. With my Mac I handle the single mouse with my left hand. With Windows I use a three button mouse with my right hand. :::strange:::
If you like that three-button mouse and it has a USB connection you can probably use it with your Mac.

I've got a garden-variety PC mouse with two buttons and a scroll wheel that I bought at Office Depot for $25 that I use with the Mac. It works great. After using it for week, one thing is clear: I'll never buy another single-button mouse again.

- Charlie
Old 03-10-2004, 06:53 AM   #83
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Nooo...

I don't like the three button mouse at all. I like my wireless one button mouse on my Mac. Always have. Rarely on the Mac OS is there a need for more than one button. That is the beauty of the operating system.

Some CAD programs can benefit from multi-button meeces but I learned long ago to work differently. The most bizarre I saw on the PC was a CAD station mouse with 16 programmable buttons in use with a gridded off programmable mouse pad.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:43 AM   #84
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I do love that 2 button mouse. I know the keyboard shortcuts, and even gave some feedback when I was out in Cupertino a few months back, but the answer I got was.... "We'll most likely not see a multibutton mouse in our future."

When asked why, I got... "Steve wants it that way."

Personally, I think it's a mistake considering the OS accepts and uses the 2 button, so I just buy 3rd party mice.

Still find it strange that the OS allows the use, yet the company won't sell or change the hardware.....

I suppose there are worse things....given the ordeal I had getting this blasted PC running, there are worse things that the Mac could do!