Old 05-24-2009, 11:26 AM   #29
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We lost three so far- GM, Pontiac and Jeep.

Wayne&Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 11:51 AM   #30
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
I'm just wondering here, but what criteria did they use to fire these dealers? Dollar amounts, unit sales, add-ons, finance dollars? Throw a dart at a map?

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 12:04 PM   #31
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Originally Posted by purman View Post
.Yep, we lost one in every major town and city on the western slope of Colorado. (4) Durgango, Montrose, Delta, Criag, Grand Junction is ok
I think the Delta County dealership that was cancelled was Chrysler, not GM. that leaves the County with Ford/Mercury, Toyota, Buick/Chevy. Considering there are only 30,000 people in the county, that's a lot of dealers.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:51 PM   #32
Rivet Master
1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
What I see as happening: Dealerships only make 8-10% of their income directly from the sale of new vehicles...Most comes from service, parts and body work...Any dealship should continue to provide these services since ALL cars at some time will need at least minimal service...
Jay (KB8VMO)
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 04:57 PM   #33
Full Timers/Diesel power.
1983 31' Airstream310
Cactus Hug , Arizona
If parts and qualified mechanics start moving away, we are all screwed.
"A settled wisdom, plus the itch to be elsewhere"
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 06:37 PM   #34
Rivet Master
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I don't know that a former dealer will stock parts for brands that they no longer carry, if they are still open. They can't all become Kia dealers and stay in business.

Being a dealer for a brand brings warranty and post warranty business. The company—GM or Chrysler—is the dealer's best customer because of warranty work. That will no longer be available. Some people whose warranties have expired will continue to go to former dealers out of habit or loyalty. Some dealers, probably small town and rural ones, will survive on other brands, some will go to used cars, service and body work, and some will close down.

The large number of employees being laid off will in some case migrate to other dealers, mechanics should always find work, sales people will mostly stay in sales of some sort, office workers will suffer most I expect. Car salesman change jobs all the time. Mechanics move around a lot too.

Remaining dealers should be stronger, sales tax revenues will still flow, but perhaps to different places, or in places like where I live people will buy other brands and the same revenues will be there for the dealer (he'll sell a Toyota or a Ford instead of a Dodge). Less competition may boost prices.

There'll be a lot of dislocations, but it may not be as bad as it sounds at first.

Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:40 PM   #35
Rivet Master
1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
I may have not thought this thru but, here goes ---

I have read that chrysler dealers only averaged selling one car per day. I am sure that GM dealers sold more but, the US market has dropped from 17million to 10.5million. That is a 38% reduction in the overall market. I have no idea what the average sales is for a GM dealer but, it has to be off significantly.

Does anyone think the US market is coming back like before? I highly doubt it. If it recovers to 13-14million within 5 years, I will be surprised. Even then, the foreigners including China are going to fight for a share of the market.

Then again, the dealer closures should be somewhat related to the factory closings. I am sure that GM knows where the breakeven volume is on each model and factory.

Also, the new "cafe" number is bad news for poor people who can bearly afford a car now. I read somewhere that a F150 pickup or GM1500 pickup will cost approximately $30,000 when they get it to 29-30mpg.

I tried to play around with constructing a "cafe number" using just Honda & Toyota products. Does anyone have any idea how hard it is to get to 35.5mpg fleet cafe number? They will have to sell a lot of expensive hybrids & electrics and small cars.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2009, 07:45 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member
2006 22' International CCD
Monument , Colorado
Daniels Chevrolet was given their letter here in Colorado Springs this week.
Der Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:10 AM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1955 22' Safari
Great Lake State , .
Click image for larger version

Name:	9.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	82280

toastie is offline   Reply With Quote