Old 12-18-2007, 09:54 PM   #1
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Anyone here a Moose member?

Family down south has been into the moose for years and what I found interesting is that some of the places have very small campgrounds (1-5) sites (some smaller, some larger, some without any sites) and let the members plug in and spend the night are extremely low rates, some with no stay limits.

I joined to see if it would be a fit, not just for the perk of parking the Airstream when on the road, but they seem to really do a lot of good and when I've been there as a guest of the family member, they all were just so outright friendly, it was a pretty comfortable thing....so anyone else out there a Moose member? Do you like it?

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 10:19 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Not a member but sure have nothing bad to say about them. Here is their .org to look at.
Moose - The Family Fraternity
I wish more would get involved in organizations like these such as the the Elks, Moose, VFW, etc. They all have their good.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:53 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
I know what you mean. I have discovered the same friendly family atmosphere at the Elks. The Benevolent & Protective Order of Elks of the USA
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie
so anyone else out there a Moose ....?
No, but Sam calls me "dear".

That has to be avery old joke....
Old 12-19-2007, 10:33 PM   #5
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam
No, but Sam calls me "dear".

That has to be avery old joke....

Yea, I felt the same way. I'm not typically a "club" type person unless the club really seems like a fit and I'll have to see, but from what I've seen so far, it's darn impressive. Costs $55 to join (which includes a startup fee), then it's something like $35 a year. Having looked at that Mooseheart place, just seemed like a good thing to try.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 12-19-2007, 11:17 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
I'm not a member of either the Moose or Elks.
Our Moose lodge in Atascadero, CA. is very small and in the business core where there is no room for camping.
The Elks built a new place a couple of years ago and put in approx. 20 or more decent sites with water and elect. Not sure about sewer or dump station.
Dave
Old 12-19-2007, 11:47 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
My Dad was an Elk's member for many years and he loved the camaraderie. The times he was on the road where they had availability he thoroughly enjoyed it. He got to meet some nice folks and have a few relaxing beverages and always felt welcome. He also never stayed longer than one night not wanting to abuse the system so he'd then move to a regular campground if he was intending to stay in the area for a few days.

I do know that when ever he got home he'd send a nice thank you card for the hospitality as he felt that helped the locals justify the facility when they could point to appreciative users.

For the cost of membership (less than a good evening out for dinner) it makes sense to those who travel a lot, and in the downtime they get to associate with nice folks at the home base if they choose.

Barry
Old 12-23-2007, 01:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Called !

Hi there Wane&Sam... My D/W calls Me lots of things...but I say this, I jus dont care what She calls Me...as long as She calls Me 4 My DINNER...LOL...
Old 12-23-2007, 05:14 AM   #9
Cyclist

2007 28' International CCD
Windermere , Florida
Growing up, the Moose Lodge in our area was not much more than a drinking club. I hope that that chapter was just an anomaly.
Organizations like the Elk's and Moose seem to have lost popularity. Much like bowling leagues. Folks are just too busy.
Old 12-23-2007, 11:06 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Rochester , Minnesota
$7.00

I have only been traveling with an airstream (2000 34 ft) for 3 years. and have stayed at quit a few Moose lodges. Most that have a parking lot let you stay and plug in to an outside outlet. (not enough to run AC) Have only stayed at one that charged a fee ($7.00 a night).
For Moose members that can access the members only site of Moose International web site, there is a lodge/chapter locator and it shows which ones have RVs parking and/or camping.
I haven't stayed at one yet that I was not greeted warmly.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:26 PM   #11
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Now that I've been to two lodges one just north of Louisville and one here in the Chicago area, I have to say, it's like McDonalds. In that I mean each place has been very consistent with great folks, very, very, very reasonable meals and a nice place to visit. I can see on the road that being a Moose member can clearly have a benefit and like has been pointed out, for the price of less than a decent meal, you're in.

There are 3 other lodges near our house (within 6 miles) that I am going to take a look at to see what they are like but so far, it's been a pretty goo exp.

As I contiune to learn about the group, I am impressed with all that they do for charity:

Mooseheart Child City & School