Old 11-01-2015, 10:15 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Indian Wells , California
The Phantoms are supposed to have software that prevents them from flying within 5 mi. of an airport or other restricted airspaces. I would never test that software. If you keep the drone in your line of sight then you should be flying safe.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . if that 'no fly zone' list is as effective as the 'do not call' register, I'd call it worthless. . . just sayin'. . . .Regards, Craig

Old 11-01-2015, 03:16 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinManGa View Post
Hi from AZ. . . if that 'no fly zone' list is as effective as the 'do not call' register, I'd call it worthless. . . just sayin'. . . .Regards, Craig

Or like the licensing of CB radios in the 70s.

Licensing drones is going to be "problematic".

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:34 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Greensboro , North Carolina
Drone talk

All this chatting, no photos....so.....

Alumalina_2015_10.23.15-3 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

Aim carefully, these can move quickly....LOL
AIR #31871 WBAC #4165 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:57 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
That looks like a DJI Inspire. I think to get the best video they take 2 people to operate and cost over $5000.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:06 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Fair Oaks , California
Anyone flying drones?

Clearly, flying a drone over someone's private property at a low enough altitude to be intrusive is going to be unacceptable to most people. The first line of defense should be to call the police, but police departments are overloaded doing more important things, so I doubt that they're going to show up at your house in time to do any good. So if you're going to do anything about it, I suspect you're going to have to take matters into your own hands. While it's satisfying to think about shooting them out of the sky, that's likely to create more problems for you than you had from the drone itself, so it's probably better to look for more passive lines of defense. I like the idea of some kind of RF interference with the drone guidance system, if such a thing is available. Even if you don't totally destroy the drone, making the owner come to your door for whatever pieces of it are left should get the message across, I would think.

I also like to bow hunt, and there are discussions on bow hunting boards about drones. Imagine stealthily hunting for hours across mountain ridges for sign of a deer, and when you finally see one, a drone pops in sight operated by someone trying to do the same thing, only remotely and without the effort of all that walking. I suspect that the consequences of shooting one out of the sky under those conditions wouldn't be as dire as doing it from your backyard.
Old 11-02-2015, 11:11 AM   #35
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Usefulness for scouting road ahead

What is the range on those things? I admit I am clueless about them, but as a self professed geek, I thought they might be useful in scouting a dirt road ahead for a mile or two looking for a potential boondock location. Would taking one of these out of the back of my truck and sending it down the road (with POV transmitter) be easier/faster than unhitching the trailer and then scouting ahead with my truck? Of course this would not be the only reason to buy one, as it would be a ton of fun to use with my grandkids.
Old 11-02-2015, 12:07 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Foster View Post
What is the range on those things? I admit I am clueless about them, but as a self professed geek, I thought they might be useful in scouting a dirt road ahead for a mile or two looking for a potential boondock location. Would taking one of these out of the back of my truck and sending it down the road (with POV transmitter) be easier/faster than unhitching the trailer and then scouting ahead with my truck? Of course this would not be the only reason to buy one, as it would be a ton of fun to use with my grandkids.
It depends. Some will go several miles, out of line of sight and as mentioned 400 feet is about the highest one would normally want to go given FAA concerns. In our area, farmers are starting to use them to survey their fields.
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 12:10 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
I ended up ordering a cheapie from Amazon and some extra batteries. It is pretty well-rated for what it is ($<50) and includes a camera. Thought I would play with it inside and out and then decide if enough interest to go larger.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o01_s00
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 01:17 PM   #38
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Quote:
Originally Posted by McDave View Post

I also like to bow hunt, and there are discussions on bow hunting boards about drones. Imagine stealthily hunting for hours across mountain ridges for sign of a deer, and when you finally see one, a drone pops in sight operated by someone trying to do the same thing, only remotely and without the effort of all that walking. I suspect that the consequences of shooting one out of the sky under those conditions wouldn't be as dire as doing it from your backyard.
I would think if you are on public lands you have no more rights than a drone pilot, and if you destroy it, you'll be buying a new drone.

I use mine for work to inspect the roof. Some houses have Mexican tiles and I don't want to walk on them and break tiles. I had a neighbor drive from the next street over furious with me that I was flying over her house. I told her there was no way I flew over her house because I kept it over the house I was inspecting and I walked the perimeter of the property and kept it over the roof I was inspecting the whole time. She insisted I did, and I insisted it wasn't possible. I apologized but maintained my position. Maybe from her perspective it looked like I was over her house but I was not.
Old 11-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Here are some news clippings from 2015 that may be of interest to all:

$2M Fine for commercial drone use: http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-84621869/

FAA: You can’t post drone videos on YouTube: http://motherboard.vice.com/read/the...eos-on-youtube

FAA confused about what constitutes commercial use: http://www.slate.com/articles/techno...drone_use.html

Drones in real estate – not so fast: http://realtormag.realtor.org/law-an...te-not-so-fast

Man receives $850 fine for shooting down drone over his own property: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/ma...rticle/2567254
Old 11-02-2015, 02:57 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Drone Home Videos No Longer Provoke FAA Wrath - Bloomberg Business-April 2015

FYI-That real estate story is from March 2014.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:13 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Drone crash and small fire in The Hamptons via the NY Post:

Drone bursts into flames on quiet Hamptons street | New York Post

On a real estate photography assignment apparently.
Old 11-02-2015, 03:36 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmoto View Post
All this chatting, no photos....so.....

Alumalina_2015_10.23.15-3 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

Aim carefully, these can move quickly....LOL
KA BOOMMMM GOTCHA YOU LITTLE DRONE .lol

Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	251550  

2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote