Old 11-01-2015, 06:40 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Starting a new post -- apparently there are new rules in the process of being promulgated, but are not yet in force as the Rule of Law. Please correct me if this is wrong. The earlier law simply authorized the FAA to come up with the regs, which they are now doing 3 years later. Wondered why the earlier assurances did not sit right . . .

Links follow:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/nprm/

Overview: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/media/021515_sUAS_Summary.pdf

The full bill is long: https://www.faa.gov/regulations_policies/rulemaking/recently_published/media/2120-AJ60_NPRM_2-15-2015_joint_signature.pdf

Section 333 Exemption requests: https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_...s/section_333/

As of 10/22 2020 had been granted, and here is the list of them, I think:

https://www.faa.gov/uas/legislative_...uthorizations/

Note that you can toggle the name column to sort in alphabetical order, but there is no address or state column, so that locating a drone operator close to you geographically requires a manual search of over 200 pages of results @ 10 per page!

Seems kind of slanted in favor of one side of this issue, doesn't it? [think FAA -- federal government -- etc.]

[Edit window time approaching stall speed . . . ]

Old 11-01-2015, 06:53 AM   #16
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Welcome to our Brave New World of "system isn't perfect" drone regulation.
What system of regulations IS perfect? FCC regulations regarding two-way radio use aren't perfect. USCG regulations regarding boating aren't perfect. DOT regulations regarding motor vehicle operation aren't perfect. EPA regulations regarding discharge of pollutants aren't perfect. Why should FAA regulations regarding drone operation be perfect? Perfection is an unattainable goal; as often as not, "good enough" has to BE good enough.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:02 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
ottawa (greely) , Ontario
I believe drones can be a lot of fun ,but they need to be used properly I would not consider them as a weapon( at this time ) but they could be used wrongly as flying over your back yard and taking pictures of your personal stuff for theft, or access to your home ( to see if anybodys home, see if a window is open etc ) take pictures of someone sun bathing in your back yard etc , they shouldnt be used over private properties, besides for your own , if used in a public park, should be away from people ,in a open area away from pets and people, used pretty much like model airplanes are used today,I have never ran into a problem with model airplane flyers ( pilots) they have all been courteous it should be the same for drones .i fly model airplanes and have no problems with respecting private property, if a drone flies over my private property and starts hoovering I shoot it down . So in other words respect people and they will respect you. Happy flying!

Don
2012 silverado ext cab 4x4 ,5.3 L , 6 speed trans,3:42 final drive,tow package standard box 6 1/2 foot . 2014 honda forza 300 scooter, #2 2015 honda crf 250 L (Dual sport)
scamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:08 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Protagonist --

It's just that the risks are much higher for aerial operations of potential weapons, compared to cars, trucks, boats, two-way radios, and so forth. Add in the relatively low cost of drones, easy availability, geek-appeal, peer pressure, etc. . . .

No need to belabor the point - - -

A "Brave New World" in my personal opinion.

__________________________________________________ _____________

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."

Sir John Dalberg-Acton, 8th Baronet, usually referred to simply as Lord Acton
[from Wikipedia]
Old 11-01-2015, 07:23 AM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamp View Post
if a drone flies over my private property and starts hoovering I shoot it down
Unfortunately, that's called vandalism. The drone is a person's private property, and even if it's in the wrong place at the wrong time, deliberately damaging or destroying it is against the law. Same way that you can't legally slash someone's tires for parking on your lawn uninvited.

If you feel that strongly about drone overflights, allow me to repeat the link to NoFlyZone.org (https://www.noflyzone.org/) so that you can get your property added to the list. Prevention is always better than retribution.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 11-01-2015, 07:24 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
As OP, I apologize for setting off a firestorm as my attempt at humor was hidden from some in the inernet fog. I just wanted some shared experience on the topic. That said, the responses were instructive of the depth of emotion on the topic. Believe
me, if I was being harassed by a drone, my Ruger Red Label would turn it to dust. But we live in a rural area with a large park system so do not anticipate problems. Also, the model I cited has a 400 ft. ceiling and other safety features.
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:27 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Unfortunately, that's called vandalism.
[snip]
Or self-defense, depending on the situation?

A drone heading for my family and our house is not some idle car parked innocently on our lawn!

Who knows about the RF defensive aspects of this?

Thanks
Old 11-01-2015, 07:39 AM   #22

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
Or self-defense, depending on the situation?

A drone heading for my family and our house is not some idle car parked innocently on our lawn!
I give up. If you equate "drone" with "flying bomb" even when the drone is question is just a flying camera, nothing I can say or do will convince you otherwise. Time for me to bail out of this thread.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Old 11-01-2015, 07:43 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Lets see....

Is there a fix to this problem that does not involve more government regulation?

I think so... It is a two part solution.

1. Drone operators may fly where they choose.

2. Property owners and residents may "take out" drones infringing property lines.

Problem solved.

Brevi tempore!

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 07:45 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
How much are you into photography and video?. The videos on youTube look great but they take a lot of time to produce. Quadcopter's are not that fun to fly compared to model airplanes.

Kelvin
Old 11-01-2015, 07:57 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
[snip]
"flying bomb"
[snip]
Your words.

Exaggerating another's logic to the point of absurdity results mainly in a self-created exasperation IMO.

This drone situation requires everyone to think outside the box about the (low probability, granted) risks they COULD present to us individually as property owners, and collectively as a nation, and for that matter to world Peace.

Here's a question for you Protagonist -- do you think the forces which led to 9/11 are not already planning some kind of attack using drones? Substitute dozens (perhaps hundreds?) of drones for a few airliners in another coordinated attack. In your view is this impossible to imagine? Consider someone paranoid for thinking of this possibility?

Over and out.
Old 11-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #26
3 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
Indian Wells , California
I have a Phantom 2 with a GoPro Hero 4. It will cost you more than $300-700 to get up and running. The Phantom will run you $700 and then you need a FPV (first person view) monitor and transmitter so you can see what you're shooting ($400) and then extra batteries because they only last about 18 minutes each ($129 per). I bought the Phantom without a camera so I could upgrade.

I only fly in open spaces. They do take practice to fly well where you need to fly around and through objects. I've had several minor (no damage) crashes. The excitement wears off pretty quickly. Mine has been in the closet for better part of a year. I'm sure 6 months after Christmas they'll be showing up on Craigslist.
Old 11-01-2015, 09:11 AM   #27
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Upper Sandusky , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCA View Post
I have a Phantom 2 with a GoPro Hero 4. It will cost you more than $300-700 to get up and running. The Phantom will run you $700 and then you need a FPV (first person view) monitor and transmitter so you can see what you're shooting ($400) and then extra batteries because they only last about 18 minutes each ($129 per). I bought the Phantom without a camera so I could upgrade.

I only fly in open spaces. They do take practice to fly well where you need to fly around and through objects. I've had several minor (no damage) crashes. The excitement wears off pretty quickly. Mine has been in the closet for better part of a year. I'm sure 6 months after Christmas they'll be showing up on Craigslist.
Thank you! That is exactly the kind of information I was seeking when I initiated this thread.
*2003 Jayco Designer Series 32' Rear Living
*2015 T@B Sofitel S (exchanged after 3 days for Bambi)
remphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2015, 09:28 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Erie , Colorado
If the latest FAA rules are enacted, FAA registration of all 'drones' and the attaching of an FAA N-number to all copters, then those that are registered now have an 'aircraft'. Those that decide to start shooting have then shot, layered, rf bombardarded, or otherwise messed with an 'aircraft' which would be a federal felony. Something like a $10,000 fine and up to 5 years in prison. And the local laws typically deal with discharging of a firearm within xxx feet of a residence, and on and on. The entire way the FAA has handled the topic of integration, when compared to other countries, has been ______ (insert your own adjective)....

ProPride
NōVPN
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote