Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-19-2004, 02:36 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Question Anybody been to Chicago?

My wife just returned from a trip to Chicago and said she saw a building there that she would like to more about. She thinks it might be on Adams St. but is not sure, it has elephants on the facade, going down the side and across the top. She collects elephant figurines and brick - brack. She would really like a photo of this building but I can't find any information on the net. I have looked at every photo of landmark buildings on the official Chicago web site and can't find any reference to it. Can anybody help identify this building?
Thanks

LotalaborAZ
upallnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 02:47 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
It's a pretty big city. I am not familar with the building in question. Adams is a fairly long street. Any way to narrow down the search?
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 03:47 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
I'll detour down Adams from Union Station to Michigan Avenue tomorrow & see whether I spot any elephants!

Did she our big "bean"? What did she think of it?
summerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2004, 10:22 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

The only thing my wife can remember is they were just a couple blocks from the Sears Tower, they had just finished the tour and were heading back to the hotel (Marriot in Rosemont) in a cab so I would assume they were heading west on Adams or north on Wacker towards the freeway. Hope this is of some help.

Thanks

LotalaborAZ
Old 07-19-2004, 10:27 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid
I'll detour down Adams from Union Station to Michigan Avenue tomorrow & see whether I spot any elephants!

Did she our big "bean"? What did she think of it?
She said "bean?"
She's not sure. She was only there for four days at a PBS (Prune Belly Syndrome) symposium and spent a lot of the time at the hotel. She asked if you would expand on the "bean", you have peaked her interest and she wonders if she missed something. I might have to make a trip with her to see the big windy.

LotalaborAZ
Old 07-20-2004, 07:02 AM   #6
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ok. That helps. Next time I am down there I will take a peek in the area...also I will hunt down some websites that might help.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 07:23 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Quote:
Originally Posted by upallnight
She said "bean?"
She's not sure. She was only there for four days at a PBS (Prune Belly Syndrome) symposium and spent a lot of the time at the hotel. She asked if you would expand on the "bean", you have peaked her interest and she wonders if she missed something. I might have to make a trip with her to see the big windy.

If she saw it... she'd know it! The "bean" is a new sculpture by Anish Kapoor, and reflects the whole skyline in it's surface. Saw it this weekend, and it's stunning. You can't grasp it until you're standing under it, as it's over 30 feet high. From inside, you can look up into the polished belly and look "down" as if you're floating above yourself.

An interesting side point I learned... as of right now, you can see where the giant steel plates come together, with little spot welds along the way. By this fall, they'll fill in all the gaps with welding, and grind and polish the entire sculpture until there are no visible seams at all! Neat, huh?

Top 3 comments from an Airstreamer seeing this for the first time:

3. This artist's parents must have dragged him all over creation in an Airstream when he was a kid ...this is some kind of warped autobiographical piece.

2. Which is the curb side?

1. Man, I'm gonna need a ton of rags when I pull out the Cyclo for this one.