Old 01-16-2015, 05:18 AM   #15

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
You have some nice wineries and vineyards in your neighborhood. The ones I'm familiar with are along Lake Erie in Chautauqua County. Johnson Estate and Noble wineries, in particular. My dad's side of the family is from the Sherman and Ripley area. I used to spend my summers on their dairy farms. Beautiful countryside in the summer. Same for winter, I guess, if you like snow.
The Concord area....Welch's Grape Juice.

And yes, the Finger Lakes Wine Country

And for those in other Climes...don't forget the ICE, very special indeed.

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:31 AM   #16
Rivet Master
Sorry for being a little off topic

I have wild grapes ( concord ??????????) all over my property. The PO of the farmhouse said that he made wine from them. I kind of see the grapes as a nuisance. The vines, if not severely cut back will take down trees and fences. It would take a long time to cut them all back. And the birds and animals like them. The grapes are small compared to store bought, and not very sweet. although the intense aroma is wonderful in late summer. I also have 24 apple trees. My friends make awesome hard hard cider.

Anyway, I don't drink alone, and I don't drink at home, and I don't drink if I am going to be towing the next day. I get a hangover if I think about water. My mandolin pays for most of my alcohol consumption, especially while camping. But I was thinking about making vinegar, for salads and as a cleaning fluid. I am guessing that white grapes would be used for making a cleaning vinegar. Vinegar is a great toilet cleaner if you have a septic tank.

mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:40 AM   #17
Avion Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Thanks for the input. Where do you live? Sounds like some interesting property. With some work and the right incentive, you might be able to entice those vines to produce some usable grapes. Labor-intensive taking care of grape vines, though. I expressed an interest in planting my own vines as an addition to my large vegetable garden but my friend, Chris, convinced me that it a heck of a lot of work. I've decided I don't need more work to do (especially since we got our Avion), so I'll get my grapes from Chris and/or the winery!
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 08:49 AM   #18
Rivet Master
2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Hi Paul & Gina,

I have been making wine for many years - but only from inexpensive Costco concentrate kits - turns out amazingly well to my inexperienced taste and only half the price of two buck chuck including corks, labels, and capsules!

About three years ago however I decided to try my hand at "all grain" home brewing and love the great craft beers I can make.

It is a much more demanding process and requires quite a bit more expense in time and equipment if you want to get into kegging - as I do. But as a hobby I really enjoy the more complex process even with its greater potential for failure. No bad batches so far!

I still make wine now and then, but probably no more than one 5 gallon batch a year.

Brian & Connie Mitchell

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 05:25 PM   #19
Rivet Master
2005 30' Safari
Jeromesville , Ohio
I'm into it, wish I was more into it. So far, I haven't found a winery that wants a mechanical engineer, though. But, I keep making it for home consumption and to give away at rallies as raffle prizes.

WineStream is offline   Reply With Quote