Old 06-10-2009, 01:38 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Any trouble getting Chrysler corp. parts?

Is anybody else out there suddenly having a problem getting a part for a Chrysler corporation product? The dealer has been waiting for over two weeks to get a new instrument cluster for the dash in my 2004 Dodge Ram. The seat belt chime decided to go off constantly and there is no way to fix it other than a very costly replacement of the instrument panel since the thing is a computer and they really don't have a fix or a way to disable it. Anyone know a fix for this. To make it worse my dealer can't even track the part since it comes from a vendor (probably also in bankrupcy).

I am really bummed out about this because I can't use the Airstream until I get the truck fixed and I am about to lose out on a trip to Maine. Makes me wonder how much worse it will get for Chrysler when Fiat takes over. Looks like the next tow vehicle will be Toyota.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
What is Haapening?

When Chrysler dealerships are healthy, no problems and a credit to their corporation and then they are given their walking notice?

This seems to be a problem with many dealership owners. I have no idea what a dealership costs, but the investment isn't small. But there are many dealers that not only have lost their livelihood, but all of their workers too.

No compensation for their investment.

The failing dealerships are one thing, but the successful dealers?

The redistribution of dealerships apparently are going to be gratis. Also their seems to be political favors involved in the redistribution of dealerships.

What have you heard about this senario?

Old 06-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63air View Post
Is anybody else out there suddenly having a problem getting a part for a Chrysler corporation product? The dealer has been waiting for over two weeks to get a new instrument cluster for the dash in my 2004 Dodge Ram. The seat belt chime decided to go off constantly and there is no way to fix it other than a very costly replacement of the instrument panel since the thing is a computer and they really don't have a fix or a way to disable it. Anyone know a fix for this. To make it worse my dealer can't even track the part since it comes from a vendor (probably also in bankrupcy).
Probably a glimps of what's to come.
Old 06-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
I had considered Dodge with their awesome Cummins Turbo Diesel when I bought my Ford F250SD Powerstroke. Sure glad I bought the Ford now! It does a great job of towing my 2005 AS Classic and has given absolutely no troubles since I bought it.
Old 06-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #5
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Anechdotal evidence, FWIW

I haven't had any experience with either Chrysler or GM, but an Atlanta radio station interviewed a local GM dealership last week and the spokesman for the dealer claimed that they would cannibalize new cars if necessary to perform warranty work for their customers because of possible "supply line" problems. I guess time will tell if that actually happens.

O'course, if that particular dealer received one of those "termination" notices from GM, that might figure into the equation. Sad. And now the gu'ment has entered the equation as PeeWee has suggested. Increadibly sad.

Dsalzer beat me to the punch, but there is one American manufacturer that doesn't have these problems. Ford builds a great product. I know, truck wars are a favorite sporting event here on the forums, but I had to say it.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out for you. Others here will be interested to know.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:07 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Cape Canaveral , Florida
Monday order a seat switch for 05 ram came in the next day.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:04 PM   #7
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Dunno, but I have a buddy in the Columbia area who had the check for his lemon bounce. They said that they will make it right, but the last time I spoke to him (last week) they had not done so yet. He is still making a truck payment and no truck. Glad I have my Fords. FWIW my company still insists on purchasing Chevrolets, even though we have documented proof the maintenance costs are higher. I just spent over $1500 on having front end parts replaced on a Chevy 1500 with only 62,000 on the odometer...not a good sign.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Belington , West Virginia
63air, Mopar has a Supplier Ship Direct (SSD) help line for their dealers. The number is 800-765-7732 (I can not guarantee this is a good number - but it was.) This is a "for dealer use only" number and they would need part number, order number, dealer code etc. but they should be able to tell your dealer what's going on with your cluster. If they could find out which service center handles the exchange cluster they might be able to order it outside of the Mopar system provided it is not a warranty repair. Good luck. I hope you get to make your trip.

Roger
Old 06-11-2009, 10:11 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Still waiting for the part and the dealer is still trying. I've dealt with this dealer for 20 years and their service is tremendous. They are as frustrated as I am.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:35 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Just send your request to the White House ATTN: BO. He'll take care of it.
Old 06-11-2009, 09:40 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
Found the part supplier .They won't ship to Chrysler due to the bankruptcy and they wont' sell it directly to the dealer. So far I'm screwed and my truck is a decoration on the dealers lot . But I'm sure all will be well soon with Fix It Again Tony and a politician from Illinois running the show.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:01 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
If it were mine, I would remove the cluster, find the buzzer, and disable it.
Old 06-12-2009, 06:45 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
there are companies that repair instrument boards. i've seen them for GM and i'm sure they do other brands. try surfing the net for a rebuilder or try a salvage yard.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Moline , Illinois
The problem is this is essentially a computer so you can't disable it. We can't go the salvage route because these are programed for the indivdual vehicle. The big problem is the programing or so I have been told. I'm sure I'm not the only person in this situation, someone will figure it out.