Old 08-31-2009, 08:40 AM   #29
Rivet Master
1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I have been taking care of my dis-abled friend now for several years now, and my major conscern for him is that he gets to live as well as possible...and not be caught sitting around some run down place when he got his back pay years ago-SS wouldn't let him have the whole sum unless he came up with a home. Only a few days later, we were out walking in an antique district in Amarillo (old route 66) ...and there about twenty feet from us was this Airstream sitting there looking at us with a for sale sign in the window. I grabbed the phone, and the rest is history. I prayed for deliverance years ago, and the good lord just keeps on giving! Now we are getting closer to the pursuit of real freedom and my friend will be able to really live the Airstream Life!

AIR-Quarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #30
Rivet Master
1971 31' Sovereign
1967 22' Safari
1958 22' World Traveler
Pardeeville , Wisconsin
I was a tent camper, especially since I needed my truck to tow my horse trailer to the horse campgrounds. I'd set up tent outside the trailer and ride all day. Jay was NOT a camper when I first met him, and said he didn't have any interest. I begged him to try going with me just once after we got married to see how fun camping could be. So of course, our first trip rained the entire weekend, the tent leaked, I rode a couple trails during the day (Jay doesn't ride either), but the whole weekend was pretty miserable. I was afraid he'd say that he would never try it again, but when asked what he thought, he said, "That was great!!" ???? So we started camping more often, with and without the horses.

I never wanted a trailer because I thought it was for wusses; then 3 years ago when our kids were 1 and 3, we realized the tent didn't work well with little "escapees" wanting out of the camping accommodations. This was a pretty good excuse to justify a trailer, even though I prided myself on being tough enough to rough it in a tent. We weren't camping with the horses anymore due to the munchkins. We decided to buy a 70's pop-up from Jay's co-worker. We did some yard camping, but only made it out to a park 1 time as we were (and are) still in the midst of an old farmhouse remodel as well. The set up seemed too time consuming while chasing little ones.

Jay always thought old Airstreams were cool (I guess I never paid much attention), so he wanted to start searching for one after we saw one near our house. Once we started looking into it and learning more about them, I was sold! We brought Oscar ('71 Sovereign) home last September, and amazingly enough, he didn't need much work! Well the 'luminum bug hit us, and Jay put a couple ads on Craigslist for an AS to use as a restoration project. We were contacted by a guy selling a '67 Safari a few towns away from us, so Vivian came home with us around November.

I'm way more attached to this hobby than I ever intended or thought I would be, but what a great hobby to have! The people are a big part of that too

Jay (KB8VMO)
WBCCI #10917
AIR #32349
aircooled4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #31
1969 27' Overlander
Springdale , Arkansas
He finally convinced me!

My husband told me he wanted to buy an airstream. I didn't think we would use it much and kept thinking his urge to buy one would go away...but almost every night he came home with new listings he found on craigslist and ebay. Then finally when he said he was going out of town the following weekend to look at hit me that I better start becoming involved at finding the RIGHT one. So I started looking on line at how to restore an older model which is what he wanted to do. I found on Youtube the tutorials DIY of the 1970 Overlander that shows how to fix about anything! The outcome was beautiful and it is something we like to do "FIX UP THINGS". So we found a 1969 Overlander which the PO brought all the way to us. And now we are both excited about what the finished product will be. Its a good choice for our money!

Foundtruth is offline   Reply With Quote