Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-30-2008, 08:22 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Most of the time snow and rain in Denver falls gently straight down so the roof does an excellent job of protecting Ruby the Wee Wind. But the blizzard that just ended when these photos were taken was extremely gusty, resulting in Ruby getting covered with snow, very unusual hence the photos. The Ruby Roof is very sturdy.

The Trotter is 16 years younger and is being kept in weather-hardened shape for tougher assignments. A similar roof would be nice, but would have to be perhaps 2 feet taller and, due to the position of the hinge for the left swinging gate for both trailers (the hinge being roughly even with the centerline of the Wee Wind), the Trotter roof would have to have its left front corner cantilevered or a removable post used to support that corner, a mild PITA.

The fence section gate visible in front of the Trotter is hinged on the right and swings to the right, in front of the double door on the garage behind Ruby. Another section of gate fence not visible because it is behind and hidden by the Trotter is hinged about 1/3rd way down the Trotter's length and swings to the left into the alleyway that runs parallel to the Trotter. Also, trees to the left and right of the Trotter might die if their underground root balls are denied rain by a Trotter roof. Yet a Trotter roof would catch the tree sap that drips onto the Trotter. It would also complete the raised stockade that nearly encircles my backyard now, completing Fort Coldwell.

In short, I've been thinking about a Trotter roof for a few years but haven't yet come up with a final design that addresses all my concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsend View Post
Fred - Your shed looks great, but 2 observations / questions from Central Texas (where our maybe once-a-year snows melt in 4 hours) -
1) Because your Wee Wind is so nicely protected, how come she's covered in snow?
2) Doesn't your "Trotter" feel neglected, abandoned, sorta, 2nd bananna'ish?

Great looking shed! Do you have any plans to add onto it, for The Trotter?
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:45 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
tampa , Florida
here's one I made from a converted tent. I had to make some pole extensions. It was cheap (free). http://www.airforums.com/photos/showimage.php?i=20999
kstampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:55 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78GussyTX View Post
"It stood up to Ike (which bent my stainless steel schedule 40 flag pole.) "

Roy, did Hurricane Ike make it Pennsylvania? Didn't know that. I live in Alvin, TX, about 20 miles from where it came ashore, with eye passing right over my house. Severe property damage, house ok except for all the vinyl siding torn off one side. 2 weeks with no power and about $13K to clean up, BUT ... the '78 Argosy was tucked away in enclosed storage, not a scratch on her! Here she is after the storm ...

http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...i=20866&c=3128

PS we were out on our boat in Galveston today, STILL a mess down there, parts of buildings washed up, and even abandoned boats out there!

Gussy,

Nothing by comparison. No significant flooding. Bent the flag pole and knocked a couple of trees down on our property, already cut, stacked and curing for the fire place. We were on our generator for 5 days, most of the area had power back within 2 to 3 days. All due to the high winds. The carport stood up to it without a scratch.

Your Argosy is a beauty. Glad it wasn't damaged.

Roy
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Finally able to post a photo! Most of the buildings as well as the house have a moniter roof design. I can drive through, turn around in the pasture and and come back in so the AS is always ready to hook up. The hanger has overhead lights, space for the truck and a 30 amp plug. When we hooked up the septic to the guest house, I had a clean out installed to empty the holding tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02578.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	71937  
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:56 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Of course, you could always do what my cousin and her husband did: Spend a half a million on a heated, insulated finished-out garage, the middle of which is designed for their 40-foot motorhome. (The rest of the extended family -- mostly RVers of different stripes -- is aghast, particularly since they haven't built their home yet.)

Lynn
Old 11-30-2008, 05:24 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Your cousin and her husband have their priorities straight! Friend of mine built a 6 car garage and work shop a year before the house remodel was done.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:07 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Alvin , Texas
"Your Argosy is a beauty. Glad it wasn't damaged."

Thanks Roy ... we were glad too, especially since it had to be our home for two weeks after the storm.
78GussyTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:15 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
You folks have giving me some great ideas for a cover for my airstream.

Thanks

Brian
Old 12-02-2008, 08:35 AM   #29

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
I like Eubank's cousin's idea. We could just live in Lucy inside the garage when we're home. That way, we wouldn't even need any stupid house.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post
I like Eubank's cousin's idea. We could just live in Lucy inside the garage when we're home. That way, we wouldn't even need any stupid house.

Brian
That's exactly what my cousins are doing, at least until their house is built. The "garage" has a kitchenette, a full bath, and a laundry. (Even so, a half a million bucks for what they got is pretty rich, in my book.)

Lynn
Old 12-02-2008, 08:40 AM   #31
4 Rivet Member

1984 34' International
1977 Argosy 24
Central , Georgia
Another link

A few more ideas at:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f458...eds-27746.html
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Argosy~ShelterLS~01.jpg
Views:	374
Size:	699.3 KB
ID:	72069  

empresley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:02 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Simple 56' X 16' x 14' High

Six uprights, each 6" X 6" WF Beam (16.5#/foot, I think).

Forward 4 each buried 3' in the ground in a 3' X 3' X 3' hole (one yard of concrete each), back 2 just set on plates on top of existing concrete pad.

Cross bars are open joists salvaged from a supermarket being torn down.

30' X 12" "C" Purlins strung between joists and 16' X 3' "R" sheets were "seconds" from discount metal house. Total material in 2003, including concrete was $3,000 - going by memory on costs - 2003 seems as if it was a LONG time ago.

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:04 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

5 V Crimp Roof Works Great !

I built this 8 years ago and it has held up wonderfully.

4 x 4's hold up the tubular frame from one of those 'canvased' covers less the canvas. I just re-arranged the poles to widen the roof and bored holes in the top of the posts to slide poles into. Then they are anchored by side bolts to the metal posts. All 4x4s are cement anchored.

In front is a brick patio to help keep things clean. My main concern is all the large oak limbs that fall in the area. They just glance off the 5 V Crimp metal roof. Total cost was probably $800. And there is 20 amp service for the air conditioner!

There is a work shed for my tools on the left with the same roof type.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AirstreamSide_upload.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	72109  
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #34
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosetags View Post

Brian
Amen.

Something to blend into the neighborhood. Makes me feel "better" about packing up before a hurricane. Might have to re-angle the driveway, make the garage door bigger, but I could make the outside of the "new" house resemble the old. Sort of like a false front . . hmmm . . . .
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 10:59 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
Steve do you have a picture shot from the front the entrace to the car port. I like that. $800.00? Was it the metal roof that cost so much?

Brian
Old 12-03-2008, 02:54 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member

Front pic of pole barn...

Brian,

That $800 was a total guess. The roof was probably $300. Best to get it coated green or whatever rather than trying to paint it. The frame was less than $200, but only part of that was used. Then there are 8 long 4 x 4's. That is about it. It's sturdy with the 4 x 4s cemented down. I do have hurricane hold downs on each end of the roof to keep it from lifting. It is screwed to a lathing which is held onto the round poles with conduit pipe tie downs. It may have been less that $800.

Well worth it in my book for the peace of mind. If large limbs fall that way it may bend the top, but it'd take a falling tree to knock it into the coach.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AirstreamFrt.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	428.4 KB
ID:	72139  
Sav'h Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:57 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
Portland , Maine
You know, it's funny this came up. I have had this obsession, even well before I bought my Airstream, with "service buildings" -- those iconic American buildings that are typically associated with pillars of industry, community and public service. Churches, warehouses, hangers, and particularly FIREHOUSES. I have always (even P.B. -- pre-Bambi) wanted to purchase an old Firehouse and refit the offices/living quarters above it as my apartment. When I lived in Augusta, there was a PERFECT old Spanish revival building used as a firehouse that sparked this dream. If you go to google maps, search for 2170 Central Ave, Augusta, GA, switch to street view and turn north, you'll see it. Sadly, it's still a working Firehouse. One day, after I bought Bambi, I drove by and had a flash of insight -- PERFECT for my baby!

I adore city live -- you guys can keep the country! Give me a loft apartment in a beating city any day of the week! Trouble is that there's no place to park your Airstream. Or for that matter, store your other toys, like your skis, your surfboard, your Vespa scooter... you get the idea. But an old firehouse would be perfect. My dream when I retire, what I remind myself of when I save my pennies every month, is to either buy an old firehouse (or warehouse) and fit it out with an apartment above. I know it's highly unlikely I'll be able to get an actual firehouse, so alternatively I want to build something very like it. Think about it -- if ur a city person like me, it's perfect! Secure, climate controlled AS storage down below, apartment above, no yard to take care of. When you're ready to go, you hitchup and split.

Anybody know any good firehouses for sale? If you go to 380 Congress St, Portland ME in Google Maps and face SW you'll see my dream property.
iHayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:11 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
East Nicolaus , California
This is what I did...

This was built specifically for the A/S. Then it doubled as a platform for the solar PV system. I could send the plans if you'd like.

Keep the shiny side up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4104.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	150.2 KB
ID:	77451   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8070309.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	516.5 KB
ID:	77452  

wppii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
My avatar is small, but you can see it is a basic 'pole shed'. I'll get around to putting siding on, eventually. Shingles match the house, workshop, and barn. It is next to the shop, and I put a separate 30 rv plug on the side. I ran a sewer line to the septic tank, with the cleanout adjacent to the trailer sewer drain. Works fine.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:09 PM   #40
1977 28' argosy moho

scarborough , ontario
Moho Garage

I put a motorhome friendly garage addition on our house here in suburban Toronto. There are many rules about storing your trailer or motorhome where others can see so I put the garage door lintel as high as I could and made a movable piece above the normal 9x7 garage door.
It takes about 15 minutes to open or close the door but I can make my motorhome disappear and no one knows. My garage is 43 feet long and fits my pie shaped property perfectly. I've hooked up a 30 amp plug but haven't figured out a sewer hookup...yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC01334.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	529.3 KB
ID:	77453  
Warbs is offline   Reply With Quote