Old 11-29-2008, 09:39 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Alvin , Texas
"It stood up to Ike (which bent my stainless steel schedule 40 flag pole.) "

Roy, did Hurricane Ike make it Pennsylvania? Didn't know that. I live in Alvin, TX, about 20 miles from where it came ashore, with eye passing right over my house. Severe property damage, house ok except for all the vinyl siding torn off one side. 2 weeks with no power and about $13K to clean up, BUT ... the '78 Argosy was tucked away in enclosed storage, not a scratch on her! Here she is after the storm ...

http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...i=20866&c=3128

PS we were out on our boat in Galveston today, STILL a mess down there, parts of buildings washed up, and even abandoned boats out there!

Old 11-29-2008, 11:43 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Here is the free-standing roof that securely protects my 1948 Wee Wind from rain, hail, sun and most other dastardly elements:

The three vertical posts along each side rest on 6" x 6" x 12' long pressure-treated rectangular "logs" that run lengthwise along each side and extend a few inches beyond the end posts. These two rectangular logs sit on top of the ground. The nearest one, invisible under the snow, is bolted via "L" brackets at each end to threaded rods have been set into buried concrete footings. The taller garage wraps around two sides of the roof, behind it and to the right. This creates an alcove that blocks the prevailing winds from getting under the roof and lifting it. Instead, the winds flow over the roof and tend to push it down (well, at least in my mind that is what should happen).

Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 06:28 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Fred - Your shed looks great, but 2 observations / questions from Central Texas (where our maybe once-a-year snows melt in 4 hours) -
1) Because your Wee Wind is so nicely protected, how come she's covered in snow?
2) Doesn't your "Trotter" feel neglected, abandoned, sorta, 2nd bananna'ish?

Great looking shed! Do you have any plans to add onto it, for The Trotter?
Old 11-30-2008, 08:58 AM   #18
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lothlorian View Post
I am looking to use recycled material

Brian
Me too, so I obtained four used no-cost 26 foot long wooden power poles, and cut them in half to make eight vertical ready-treated timber poles about ten inches in diameter and about thirteen feet long. I dug eight holes for these and slid them into the holes to form the uprights for the pole barn, and bolted them to 8" x 2" treated timber horizontals and standard roof joists to support a steel roof. I built it single-handed in two long days, it cost $600 and it has stood in Florida for seven years.
Nick.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:13 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Pics as requested:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01277.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	71934   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01278.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	71935  

Old 11-30-2008, 09:19 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Nice job nick!~
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 09:22 AM   #21
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Most of the time snow and rain in Denver falls gently straight down so the roof does an excellent job of protecting Ruby the Wee Wind. But the blizzard that just ended when these photos were taken was extremely gusty, resulting in Ruby getting covered with snow, very unusual hence the photos. The Ruby Roof is very sturdy.

The Trotter is 16 years younger and is being kept in weather-hardened shape for tougher assignments. A similar roof would be nice, but would have to be perhaps 2 feet taller and, due to the position of the hinge for the left swinging gate for both trailers (the hinge being roughly even with the centerline of the Wee Wind), the Trotter roof would have to have its left front corner cantilevered or a removable post used to support that corner, a mild PITA.

The fence section gate visible in front of the Trotter is hinged on the right and swings to the right, in front of the double door on the garage behind Ruby. Another section of gate fence not visible because it is behind and hidden by the Trotter is hinged about 1/3rd way down the Trotter's length and swings to the left into the alleyway that runs parallel to the Trotter. Also, trees to the left and right of the Trotter might die if their underground root balls are denied rain by a Trotter roof. Yet a Trotter roof would catch the tree sap that drips onto the Trotter. It would also complete the raised stockade that nearly encircles my backyard now, completing Fort Coldwell.

In short, I've been thinking about a Trotter roof for a few years but haven't yet come up with a final design that addresses all my concerns

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitsend View Post
Fred - Your shed looks great, but 2 observations / questions from Central Texas (where our maybe once-a-year snows melt in 4 hours) -
1) Because your Wee Wind is so nicely protected, how come she's covered in snow?
2) Doesn't your "Trotter" feel neglected, abandoned, sorta, 2nd bananna'ish?

Great looking shed! Do you have any plans to add onto it, for The Trotter?
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 10:45 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
tampa , Florida
here's one I made from a converted tent. I had to make some pole extensions. It was cheap (free). http://www.airforums.com/photos/showimage.php?i=20999
Old 11-30-2008, 10:55 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78GussyTX View Post
"It stood up to Ike (which bent my stainless steel schedule 40 flag pole.) "

Roy, did Hurricane Ike make it Pennsylvania? Didn't know that. I live in Alvin, TX, about 20 miles from where it came ashore, with eye passing right over my house. Severe property damage, house ok except for all the vinyl siding torn off one side. 2 weeks with no power and about $13K to clean up, BUT ... the '78 Argosy was tucked away in enclosed storage, not a scratch on her! Here she is after the storm ...

http://www.airforums.com/photos/show...i=20866&c=3128

PS we were out on our boat in Galveston today, STILL a mess down there, parts of buildings washed up, and even abandoned boats out there!

Gussy,

Nothing by comparison. No significant flooding. Bent the flag pole and knocked a couple of trees down on our property, already cut, stacked and curing for the fire place. We were on our generator for 5 days, most of the area had power back within 2 to 3 days. All due to the high winds. The carport stood up to it without a scratch.

Your Argosy is a beauty. Glad it wasn't damaged.

Roy
Old 11-30-2008, 11:13 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Finally able to post a photo! Most of the buildings as well as the house have a moniter roof design. I can drive through, turn around in the pasture and and come back in so the AS is always ready to hook up. The hanger has overhead lights, space for the truck and a 30 amp plug. When we hooked up the septic to the guest house, I had a clean out installed to empty the holding tanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02578.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	292.1 KB
ID:	71937  
Old 11-30-2008, 11:56 AM   #25
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Of course, you could always do what my cousin and her husband did: Spend a half a million on a heated, insulated finished-out garage, the middle of which is designed for their 40-foot motorhome. (The rest of the extended family -- mostly RVers of different stripes -- is aghast, particularly since they haven't built their home yet.)

Lynn
Old 11-30-2008, 06:24 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Your cousin and her husband have their priorities straight! Friend of mine built a 6 car garage and work shop a year before the house remodel was done.
Old 12-01-2008, 08:07 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 30
Alvin , Texas
"Your Argosy is a beauty. Glad it wasn't damaged."

Thanks Roy ... we were glad too, especially since it had to be our home for two weeks after the storm.
Old 12-02-2008, 06:15 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
You folks have giving me some great ideas for a cover for my airstream.

Thanks

Brian