Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2008, 01:11 PM   #121
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Keyboard.

Despite being partialy deaf & tone deaf & havin dyslexic fingers... I think I'm doin quite good... let Me quickly tell U... I bought a Realistic Concertmate-450 / 100 sound... 19 white keys Keyboard from our local car boot sale, I only paid 50 pence for it, I just wanted the speakers for a old CD player to use in My shed... Turns out the seller was WRONG, it works fine, it realy IS GOOD... quite loud too !!!... So I tinkered about with the keys, & hey presto I can play the darn thing... Well... sort of, a couple of Perry Como songs, Danny Boy & All things bright & beautiful...BUT... sadly ONLY the first two lines of them all... However I am lucky because the previous owner left the ABCDEFG note stickers on all of the keys... Ha Ha Ha... Trouble is I would feel kinda DUMB going into a music shop askin for song books which show songs in the " ABC " format...Are there such books that I can purchase ?... Where do I begin to look... Not being a musical gifted person I am open to ideas & HELP... Thank U & God bless...Chris.....
Old 07-24-2008, 04:56 PM   #122
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by canny_banjo_man View Post
Despite being partialy deaf & tone deaf & havin dyslexic fingers... I think I'm doin quite good... let Me quickly tell U... I bought a Realistic Concertmate-450 / 100 sound... 19 white keys Keyboard from our local car boot sale, I only paid 50 pence for it, I just wanted the speakers for a old CD player to use in My shed... Turns out the seller was WRONG, it works fine, it realy IS GOOD... quite loud too !!!... So I tinkered about with the keys, & hey presto I can play the darn thing... Well... sort of, a couple of Perry Como songs, Danny Boy & All things bright & beautiful...BUT... sadly ONLY the first two lines of them all... However I am lucky because the previous owner left the ABCDEFG note stickers on all of the keys... Ha Ha Ha... Trouble is I would feel kinda DUMB going into a music shop askin for song books which show songs in the " ABC " format...Are there such books that I can purchase ?... Where do I begin to look... Not being a musical gifted person I am open to ideas & HELP... Thank U & God bless...Chris.....
Everybody has to start somewhere, so don’t be embarrassed to go to a music store and ask for help.

Tackle the treble (top) clef first. The lines are EGBDF (Every Good Boy Deserves Favor) and the spaces are FACE, both from the bottom up.

Of course, that would be Favour in the UK, hence the title of the Moody Blues album Every Good Boy Deserves Favour (album - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia).

Microsoft Encarta online has a photo of the scale to the keyboard at http://encarta.msn.com/media_3960000...cal_scale.html.

That C below the treble clef labeled c1 is Middle C. While that illustration refers to the clefs as staffs, clef is what music teachers call one. I should know, in the 4 years I took piano, I managed to work my way through 1 year’s amount of books.

There is also a good discussion of the musical scale at WikipediA, Musical scale - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:07 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamCSI View Post
There's only one thing I love more than my Overlander and that's my Hammond organ with a Leslie speaker...but on the road I have to settle with a digital hammond and smaller Leslie that fits nicely in a special area of the interior...
Boy, does that bring back memories of helping my older brother load up his L100 Hammond and 147 Leslie. I can pick up my guitar by myself. My amp, too.

Several years ago, Smithsonian magazine did an excellent article on Airstreams. Wish I could find a reprint. There was in interior photo of the Thetfords’ custom built Airstream that has a built-in organ. Mrs. Thetford played the organ. And yes, they were that Thetfords. Mr. Thetford was a friend of Wally’s and, if I remember correctly, they had WBCCI number 3. Maybe PeeWee can verify this. It has been a while since I read the article.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:36 PM   #124
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Very Sad and Ashamed

As a youngman I was in a family band kinda.Father played Drums and Uncle played lead gutiar and I played rythum gutiar and Tenor banjo we always had a friend that played Accordian .
I played 1 chair Trumpet in the highschool band and also played piano.
Now I am ashamed to say I have lost it all. I have not played anything for 35 yrs .I always had an excuse "I'm to busy" Then I discovered the real reason I didn't play any more a couple of yrs ago I'm almost Totally DEAF Take care of what U have,always wear hearing protection in noisie Conditions even when U don't think its noisie.
I know I should be ashamed.
AND I AM.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
Guitar, saxophone, drums, trumpet, and harmonica.
The guitar and the harmonica are the only ones I've messed with in several years. I play a lot of southern rock and blues, but I have dabbled in all sorts of things. (I'm a closet Leo Kottke fan)

As for the WBCCI's two bands- show tunes? big band? For crying out loud, no wonder the overall view of the club from the younger generations is basically that of a nomadic retirement home. Wouldn't a nice country band appeal to a broader audience? I know Airstreams have been around since the '30s, but many of their current owners haven't.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:37 PM   #126
Rivet Master

Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Boy, does that bring back memories of helping my older brother load up his L100 Hammond and 147 Leslie. I can pick up my guitar by myself. My amp, too.

Several years ago, Smithsonian magazine did an excellent article on Airstreams. Wish I could find a reprint. There was in interior photo of the Thetfords’ custom built Airstream that has a built-in organ. Mrs. Thetford played the organ. And yes, they were that Thetfords. Mr. Thetford was a friend of Wally’s and, if I remember correctly, they had WBCCI number 3. Maybe PeeWee can verify this. It has been a while since I read the article.
I have not seen the article. I have seen an earlier article in the Smithsonian.

Airstream #3 belonged to the McCoys, James L. (Mac and Nina.) They were early Caravanners and Charter Member of the WBCCI. They were good friends of Wally, Stel, my Mother, and mine. They were members of the early Jack Rabbits.

I don't believe this number was issued many years after it was issued to the McCoy's. To verify this you need to contact the Club in Jackson Center, or possibly Mike, my friend, in Nova Scotia can pick this up.

When you say Mr. Thetford, do you mean the founder and owner of Thetford Toilets? If so that is Frank Sargeant, trailer number 1208. He was very active on later Caravans and Club activities. He led a trip in China (#C1).

You may want to contact the Smithsonian for a reprint of the article.

That's about all I can comment on.

Pee Wee
PeeWee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:46 PM   #127
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
Wow Vaughn... We'd kill to find a keyboard player with a Hammond & Leslies... ain't nothing that sounds as sweet as them leslies spinning... we're doing a bunch of Meters stuff - funky stuff and the Hammond fills it up.
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #128
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Thanks Pee Wee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeWee View Post
I have not seen the article. I have seen an earlier article in the Smithsonian.

Airstream #3 belonged to the McCoys, James L. (Mac and Nina.) They were early Caravanners and Charter Member of the WBCCI. They were good friends of Wally, Stel, my Mother, and mine. They were members of the early Jack Rabbits.

I don't believe this number was issued many years after it was issued to the McCoy's. To verify this you need to contact the Club in Jackson Center, or possibly Mike, my friend, in Nova Scotia can pick this up.

When you say Mr. Thetford, do you mean the founder and owner of Thetford Toilets? If so that is Frank Sargeant, trailer number 1208. He was very active on later Caravans and Club activities. He led a trip in China (#C1).

You may want to contact the Smithsonian for a reprint of the article.

That's about all I can comment on.

Pee Wee
Thanks Pee Wee,

It has been a long time ago and I appreciate the clarification. I have looked for this many times and never found anything. As I recall, Mr. Thetford was credited at the inventor of the Porta-a-Potty, so it made sense.

I appreciate your input!!!

Wow, nothing like being able to talk to the institutional memory!
Old 07-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #129
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxon View Post
Wow Vaughn... We'd kill to find a keyboard player with a Hammond & Leslies... ain't nothing that sounds as sweet as them leslies spinning... we're doing a bunch of Meters stuff - funky stuff and the Hammond fills it up.
Hi Bill,

There is nothing like the sound of a Leslie spin’in up. See Brooker T and the MGs or Jimmy Smith. Especially BTMGs. Also see Chicago.

Thanks to you I have started to look at Dobros and Nationals. The left shoulder is still a problem, but the right hand is getting better after nearly 10 years. I think I can play a lap guitar, I think I can, I think I can. As I recall, Leslie made a guitar amp with the spinning deflector.

For those of you who have never seen a Leslie speaker, they had a rotating deflector beneath the down-facing woofer and a pair or rotating trumpets for the high-frequency waves (1 was walled off and therefore was fake) that directed the sound around the room. They could be switched from slow to high independently. They are major pieces of furniture.

An L-100 is huge. It is like a B3 with 6 internal 10” speakers, for those of those of you that know what a B3 is. All it is really missing is pipes, and I am sure Hammond is working on that.

My favorite guitar is a VOX Super Lynx (Like an ES Gibson) paired with a VOX Kingston BASS amp. If the VOX amp had letter/numerical designation (AC30, AC 100, ctc…), they were built in England and were tube amps. If they had a name, Super Beatle is the most notorious, (I have a Kingston BASS, roughly 40 amps with no affects other than a chorus effect that adds shimmering sound that is distinctively VOX) they were transistor amps and were built by (At least mine was) Thomas Organ in Suplivida, Clafornia.
Old 07-26-2008, 04:52 PM   #130
Rivet Master

Moncton , New Brunswick Canada
Loved the Leslies, sound has never been replicated.
Own a Cantorium, my Dad bought it when we moved from Europe back to Canada in the 60's. Double decker, looking for history.
love vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:48 AM   #131
2 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Oroville , California
I am a new air streamer. I have played music for many years. I play guitar, mandolin, bodhran (irish drum) and a swedish folk instrument : nyckelharpa. I also help to produce folk music concerts and work at several different music festivals as well as hosting a monthly radio show. I play in a trio with another guitar player/vocalist and a fiddler. there are a few clips of my music on www.myspace.com/laurelwoodsorrel.
Most of my r.v. time is spent at music festivals, especially Strawberry (near Yosemite) and Kate Wolf Memorial, and Jazz festivals and others. By the way, what does SOB mean to air stream folks? Some Other Brand? I also have a Vixen R.V. and we often call those who are in vehicles other than those manufactured by Vixen and NAV. It means Not A Vixen...(see www.vixenrv.org) Any way i also attend and help to host music jams and would be happy to play at any Airstream gathering, rally, jam or other
get together....
rollin home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 06:26 AM   #132
Rivet Master

Yorkshire , England
Booty Books

Well havin tried & failed to find any " ABC " music books, I went down to our local Sunday mornin car boot sale... & YES I found 2 tutural song books for Keyboards... YES... The privious owner had marked all the songs with the notes, A-B-C-D & so on... To say how chuffed I am, is an understatement... LOL... So I sit in My shed plonkin happily away... The little persons over the garden fence sing along, so now I know the words.. Not bad for $1-50..., now I jus gotta Practice, Practice & More Practice... funny tho, as I started nights this sunday gone, so I can tinkle away for a few hours B4 I go to work..LOL... It's funny how I am tone deaf & put the cats chorus to shame but I know when I hit the wrong notes... LOL !
I had My headfones on the other day, My D/d sneaked up behind Me & pressed the DEMO button... Cor blimey My eyeballs are still rattling, as it kicks in on almost full volume Grrr...Chris.....
Old 08-24-2008, 10:49 AM   #133
2 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Oroville , California
there is a great music site online and many folk musicians from around the world make contact there. www.mudcat.org has a forum, data base of many songs and is a great community. You can meet quite a few musicians from yorkshire there! (i go by the nick name open mike on there.)
Old 10-27-2008, 09:09 AM   #134
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Castaic , California
Poison drummer

I am the original still current drummer of Poison. My wife is an acoustic guitarist/singer/songwriter.
AirHeadRik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:04 AM   #135
2 Rivet Member

2002 19' Bambi
Dorchester , Massachusetts
I am now the full time latin Percussionist for Santa Mamba, "Rhode Island's best latin Act"
as voted by Motif Magazines 2008 Peoples Choice Awards. check out our music and schedule at SANTA MAMBA
i am still a part time conga player for Los Sugar Kings as well. Los Sugar Kings | Boston's Premiere Cuban Son, Salsa, Merengue, Rumba Flamenca, Funk, Jazz, Soul, Rock & Roll Fusion Band
galfoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 11:16 PM   #136
2 Rivet Member

1992 36' Land Yacht
Oroville , California
wow-all these drummers..
i would like to meet and jam with
Bambi's Dad's wife..is she Bambi's
mom?
I go for acoustic music, too.

i also play a drum....bodhran.
Old 10-29-2008, 09:09 AM   #137
2 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
Silverton , Oregon
I've been working on learning the mandolin the last couple of years. Love it, and play some every day, though learning music at age 61 is probably not as easy as starting young. Love bluegrass--which is what got me interested in the mando. Looking forward to taking my Caravel to some bluegrass festivals. Current favorite tunes to play are probably "Whiskey Before breakfast" "Old Joe Clark" "Ashokin Farewell". I look forward to hopefully meeting up with some of you one of these days. (I've only been an Airstreamer for a few months now--so far more restoring my trailer than using it--but it should be roadworthy by Spring.)
Mark
mrauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 09:19 AM   #138
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Hummm Funny this thread should surface again. I have just acquired an Acoustic guitar after maybe 30 yrs of not playing. IT AIN'T EASY! I have also resurrected my 1940' Tenor Banjer . Now that I'm retired I should have time to practice again,maybe I'm aweful busy .Don't know how I had time to go to work.
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:33 PM   #139
2 Rivet Member

1971 23' Safari
Lilburn , Georgia
Howdy folks- new around these parts and still discovering all these great older threads. As my handle implies, I play the big bass fiddle and dabble in a little guitar as well. Check us out on you tube-
bassfiddler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 07:01 AM   #140
1 Rivet Member

1961 24' Tradewind
rockport , Maine
Hey this is something! Missed this thread before and it's great! Bassfiddler, DjBGB is wonderful! If you are ever in the frozen north check in, we have a little five piece pseudo-bluegrass combo, Blue Northern...check us out at...Blue Northern on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads
hwy61 is offline   Reply With Quote