Old 02-23-2004, 11:04 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Porky Pig
I Since we will be fulltiming soon ... I won't be able to take my beloved piano with me ... so we're gonna store it ... I'll never find another one like it. I've been eyeing one of those 76 weighted-key portables by Yamaha.

Gonna have to do something .. as piano is my strongest instrument ... but if I don't play every day ... I get lousy real quick
Have you seen the new computer program, "GarageBand"? It will provide hours of fun and won't take up much space in your Airstream. You connect a keyboard to your laptop computer, then connect that to your stereo. The quality of the sound is great. If your songs are good enough to record, you can do that, then edit them if you desire and burn them onto a CD. GarageBand costs about $50.

- Charlie

Old 02-23-2004, 11:14 PM   #16
Cartoon Character

2004 34' Classic
On The Road , U.S.A.
Quote:
Originally posted by idahosafari
Have you seen the new computer program, "GarageBand"?
Charlie ..

I recall seeing something about that on Tech TV ... it's on my Toy Shopping List.

Gee .. does anyone think my Klipsch speakers will be too heavy to haul around or "too big for the room?"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	music gear.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	4921  

TrailerGypsies.com
WBCCI #3405 Escapees #80360

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
-- Willie Dixon
Porky Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 11:34 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
mandolindave,
Yes, the WBCCI has two bands at the International rally.
The Concert band plays primarily 'traditional' concert venue: marches, show tunes, patriotic, & concert medalies.
It is composed of full concert intrumentation (depending on who shows up to participate.)
The Dance band (my personal favorite to play with) is assembled in typical stage band, jazz band, big band form. They play popular, big band, & show tunes; even some polkas & big band style waltz music.

WBCCI #4568
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2004, 11:41 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
WTM

mandolindave,
I forgot to mention that these bands rehearse pretty intensively for about 10 days prior to the rally. So, their performances are often pretty polished at the International.
WBCCI #4568
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 12:20 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

Round Rock , Texas
All right guys. All this music talk is making me jealous. I don't play, but I used to be a staff photographer at the Kerrville Folk Festival. Lemme know if'n when y'all get together for a music rally. I'll bring my camera gear.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:35 AM   #20
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Love Kerrville

I've played at the kerrville festival - loads of fun and no time to sleep. Next time I go - it'll be in Argosy comfort - no more tents for me!

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 01:43 AM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Round Rock , Texas
Janet, When did you play Kerrville? Do you know Anni Clark?
Old 02-24-2004, 07:27 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
Wow big band - orchastra this is a bit okay not a bit alot out of my league. I just play for my own listening pleasure and not from any music sheet - self composed and certainly not any tunes anyone would know

Being the straggle end of the baby boomers - that have no real clear direction in life - that about sums up my music .

I'ts not a new thought but by what you are saying these bands are pretty good......WBCCI should put together annual CD's from the Internationals/Ralys and sell them as fundraisers (around the world!) pick a cause (like helping the child labour/Ikea issue I read about on this forum- get Ikea to match the proceeds in further donations as a partnered sponsor with A/S and have them also supply our own causes i.e. vintage "retro-fit needs or further design influance in the new AS re storage and organization capabilities. We could buy up some oldies and make it a big community restore with all material donated and then auction off or sell draw tickets for the cause - a great fun way in helping the unfortunate "one brick at a time")

Then the other half of the proceeds can go towards the WBCCI - which would greatly assist their organization to improve in the way many on this board have expressed. I am not a member yet and I am starting to understand a bit of the problem - I think it is nuts that it takes so long and a bit of a run around to sign up at your National or local unit. 9 days now and counting....
To make things better it always takes money and Volunteers....I intend on volunteering for my local unit of WBCCI - Region 2. (on the Candian side of things)

Not sure if on the State side it would be this slow - probably would have a package of info and my money long gone by now

Anyway - a bit off the music mark - but helping people is like "music to the soul".

SPK
Old 02-24-2004, 09:02 AM   #23
Rivet Master

For about 8 years I've run a tradiional Celtic music band in Cornwall, England. We played for traditional set and circle dancing until last year, when my main playing partner died suddenly, aged 47. My main instrument has been fiddle, but an over-use injury to my bowing arm has stopped me for the last year, so I have reverted to my tin whisles and wooden Irish flute, backed up by the bagpipes. (Gallician Giata) My wife plays the bodrahn (Irish single drum), and calls the dances. I don't usually play outside at campgrounds, out of respect for others tastes. I played a slow Irish air late one night at a State Park round the camp fire last month, and got a great reaction, but I'm wary of others desire for quiet. Nick.
Old 02-24-2004, 09:16 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
St Cloud , Minnesota
Pickin' and grinin'

Hey Porky,

When you get to the Airstream Park in MN, I see some serious, (or not so serious), pickin' . I play the bass guitar and some acoustic. Also in the park we now have one of the best country drummers I have ever worked with. 3 cheers for George Strait and Asleep at the Wheel.
WBCCI #7528
MN Unit
pyanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2004, 09:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Talking

Janet and I own a sound company .Precision Sound and do sound for lots of events. When were not providing sound, Janet plays with the Group "Humphrey and Hartman" H & H
I play a little guitar for my enjoyment.
We Love music of all different types. We keep discussing where we are going to store the instuments in the trailer, just not enough room for the 2 OM models 2 Dreanoughts, a Banjo, a Guitar Banjo, and a Jumbo guitar, and don't forget the Resonator.
Hand Drum, shaker egg, guitar stands.....
Maybe we need two Airstreams one for us and one for the instuments.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:01 PM   #26
nds
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Janet's Husband
Janet and I own a sound company .Precision Sound and do sound for lots of events. When were not providing sound, Janet plays with the Group "Humphrey and Hartman" H & H
I play a little guitar for my enjoyment.
We Love music of all different types.
I sent a link to this website, to Janet sometime back, when I realized she was into folk music. The show is produced here in Lexington and is syndicated world-wide. They have some excellent musicians. It's primarily folk and Bluegrass music.

Woodsongs Old Time Radio Hour
Old 02-24-2004, 12:43 PM   #27
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Tap your foot

Music festivals are great places to camp for a weekend. There are acoustic, jazz and bluegrass festivals across the country that are family friendly places. Often festival organizers and performers show up a day or two early to relax and rehearse. Parking lot jams are the order of the day and usually casual players and idle listeners are welcome. A side note - generators are often prohibited at these events - some of them can drown out banjos. Festivlas can be found on-line by searching for your favorite topic e.g. "bluegrass festival and washington" In the Northwest it is common to find Dutch oven societies at festivals as well - their end of the campground always smells great!
Consider adding a music weekend to your travel plans.

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 08:36 AM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Music Makers

I play guitar, 5 string banjo, mandolin, and ducimer. Usually take along only the guit box when camping.

The most requested song around the campfire seems to be "This Land Is Your Land" and second place is the "Red River Valley".

Favorite...Dueling Banjos.