Old 04-11-2015, 09:47 PM   #1
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Any gardeners here??

I was wondering if there are any gardeners here.

I have a large vegetable garden, approx 40' x 150'. I have several garden tractors and a TroyBilt tiller that I use to take care of it.

Yesterday, I pulled out the Speedex 1631 to plow the garden:

Spent the morning today tilling with the TroyBilt to get it all smoothed out. I have an old (1966) Cub Cadet model 123 that has a tiller on it that I really like to use, but the Cub is down at the moment.... needs some starter/battery work done.

Anyway, I grow a LOT of stuff..... pressure can most of it, unless it's eaten fresh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF3658 (Medium).JPG
Views:	66
Size:	142.0 KB
ID:	236096   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF2268.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	236097  

Name:	DSCF2918.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	236098  

1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke
PaulnGina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
I love those old tractors!!! I also got the tiller out today and tilled up a small area. The wife wants to set out some broccoli tomorrow. It's still too early up here, so it'll probably freeze, but we're not out a lot if it does. We've got almost a month before we can plant much yet. I'm probably going to start building some raised beds tomorrow. My dad lives really close to you (Rogers). He's already got tomatoes out. I'm jealous.

Old 04-11-2015, 10:41 PM   #3
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Thank you!

Since I'm a pretty good handy-man, I really like the older stuff because I can keep them running. They sure don't build them like they used to!

Yep, Rogers is just next door. There used to be a definite divide between towns, but not any longer. NW Arkansas is a great place to live!

I need to get my garden started soon, especially the taters and cool-weather stuff like greens, lettuce, cabbage, etc. Might hold off on the tomatoes a bit longer.
Old 04-12-2015, 05:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
That is a serious garden , and love the old tractors.

I have raised a few vegetables, when I was home all summer to tend to them, now stick mostly with pretty perennials.

Maggie
Old 04-12-2015, 06:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Yes, I love gardening. I don't have as big a garden as we did at one time but still enjoy the fresh vegetables and some flowers.

Being retired I thought I would have bigger gardens but we are often traveling in the summer and thus not taking care of the garden. A successful garden requires attention.
Old 04-12-2015, 06:49 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
My wife just pulled the last of the rutabagas, cabbage, and kale from her garden before we left for Springstream. Planted corn and potatoes the same day. Carrots and parsnips finished up a week ago. I just eat the food, she gardens. Peace,jim
Old 04-12-2015, 11:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1962 24' Tradewind
Buffalo , Wyoming
Snowed this morning. No plantin' today.
Old 04-12-2015, 01:48 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
not bragging, but...Plus Jersey tomato (one of the only good things about NJ. Sal
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0880.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	202.3 KB
ID:	236127   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0881.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	221.3 KB
ID:	236128  

TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 02:12 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 20' Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Great garden! Lots of love there!

We put in a micro-farm in the front yard: four antique Apples, vintage pears, Riesling grapes, black raspberries, blackberries, plus the raised beds with lots of veggies. We can the tomatoes and the beets eat everything else fresh! I'm lazy though, it's all no-till, lasagne-layered beds.

WBCCI #7246 Michigan Unit,Texas Hill Country Unit (associate member), AIR #91367
Old 04-12-2015, 02:16 PM   #10
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Nice looking bunch of tomatoes, Sal. That's one of my favorite things out of the garden, along with okra, collard greens, lettuce, Italian flat green beans, sweet potatoes, eggplant, peppers (hot and mild), cantaloup, summer and winter squash.

I found out recently that a family at church LOVES collard greens, even the younger kids! Sounds like I'll be swapping greens for eggs this season! It's nice to know that I have a place to send the extra. I usually plant a 30' row, and once it gets going we're inundated with greens. In their peak, I can pick enough at one time to cook down and fill one of those blue water-bath canners. That's 2 5-gallon buckets STUFFED full. Cooked down, that'll make 14 quarts of canned greens. Do it all again in a week and a half or so. Kale does the same way, and is real close to collard greens. Compared to what the local Natural Foods store charges for a bundle of greens, I have a GOLD MINE in my back yard!
Old 04-12-2015, 02:22 PM   #11
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCwheels View Post
Great garden! Lots of love there!

We put in a micro-farm in the front yard: four antique Apples, vintage pears, Riesling grapes, black raspberries, blackberries, plus the raised beds with lots of veggies. We can the tomatoes and the beets eat everything else fresh! I'm lazy though, it's all no-till, lasagne-layered beds.

WBCCI #7246 Michigan Unit,Texas Hill Country Unit (associate member), AIR #91367
Sounds real good! I forgot to mention beets in my list. I LOVE those!! Cooked, and also chopped raw and added to a salad.

The main reason I have a large garden spot is because I have the room, which makes it handy to keep tilled with the garden tractors. I can space the rows so that I can drive the garden tractors between them. Nothing like sitting and letting the machine do the work! My original plot was about 12' x 12' and kept growing each year until it reached what it is today. When everything is producing, it's all I can do to keep up with it, plus go to work for rest!

Keeps me out of the bars, I guess!!

Otherwise, I like the raised bed idea.
Old 04-12-2015, 02:41 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen&sal View Post
not bragging, but...Plus Jersey tomato (one of the only good things about NJ. Sal
But....why not?

Beautiful tomatoes.

Maggie
Old 04-12-2015, 02:47 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
Nice looking bunch of tomatoes, Sal. That's one of my favorite things out of the garden, along with okra, collard greens, lettuce, Italian flat green beans, sweet potatoes, eggplant, peppers (hot and mild), cantaloup, summer and winter squash.

I found out recently that a family at church LOVES collard greens, even the younger kids! Sounds like I'll be swapping greens for eggs this season! It's nice to know that I have a place to send the extra. I usually plant a 30' row, and once it gets going we're inundated with greens. In their peak, I can pick enough at one time to cook down and fill one of those blue water-bath canners. That's 2 5-gallon buckets STUFFED full. Cooked down, that'll make 14 quarts of canned greens. Do it all again in a week and a half or so. Kale does the same way, and is real close to collard greens. Compared to what the local Natural Foods store charges for a bundle of greens, I have a GOLD MINE in my back yard!
Putting that much food by would be a full time job. It exhausts me to think about it.

I never canned anything, being afraid to eat anything I canned myself.

I would make pasta sauce to freeze in pint containers with extra tomatoes, freeze shredded zucchini for breads, make freezer pickles out of excess cucumbers......unless there is a prolonged power outage, freezing is a safe way to preserve.

I still love to make homemade jams when summer fruits are plentiful......but freezer jams.

They make wonderful gifts at Christmas.

Maggie
Old 04-12-2015, 02:57 PM   #14
Riveting Travels

2013 30' International
Portland , Oregon
Our 2 Aerogardens will provide a small amount of food whilst on the road!

The bare necessities of life will come to you!"
MichelleNC is offline   Reply With Quote

« Ticks | Top | Airbnb »