Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2006, 02:17 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Savannah , Georgia
Any discounts from A/S Dealers?

Does anybody have a good idea about dealers discounting new A/S?
I know the sticks can be had for 30-40% off list prices.
Also I see several dealers that say their prices won't be beat. So they must give something off. Just not sure how much to expect!
Thanks, Scott
sb201@aol.co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 02:23 PM   #2
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
19% on average is what's out there. Some get better, some don't. There are several factors in getting a good price on an Airstream:

1) How hungry is the dealership
2) Time of year
3) Trade in
4) Negot skills

One thing to consider beside the discount you can get, is if the dealer is any good at service and will they help you in the long run. In my case, our local dealer not only didn't have a good price, but his service was poor. If his service had been good, it might have made a difference. Now the dealer I went with the 2nd time around gave me a good price and a great trade price too. Problem was it didn't matter if his service dept was good or not since the factory was 15 miles away from him.

I've talked to the dealership since getting a great deal on the Safari I have. They changed mgmt and it was never the same since.....

Reader's digest of all this is that if it's a good dealer worth having a "relationship" with, cost should be somewhat secondary.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:19 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Even more factors...

Scott-

Silvertwink's advice was good, but there are even more factors to consider...

5) How popular or unpoular is the model you want to buy? <If dealer thinks others will grab it because it's hot, your discount will be small...>
6) Is unit in inventory (and for how long) or are you ordering a new one from factory? <Dealer is much more likley to deal on unit aging in inventory than on new unit ordered from factory..>
7) Geography and competition? <Some dealers have entire state to themselves. Others have 3 dealers within an hour drive... That makes a difference also..>

Finally, many of the super deals advertised for other brands of trailers and motorhomes are for units that have changed hands a few times between dealers and flooring companies. Dealers that acquire inventory from auctions and other distressed dealers can offer at very low prices, but units have some history, even if never titled...

Ranges for new units seem to be ~12% to ~20%+ with some outside that range, depending on factors above... Without naming names, you can read some of the threads here and find members who would gladly have paid another $1000 or more NOT to be treated as they were by the selling dealers.. Some may have contributed to lack of good relationships, but some were just plain treated poorly. Bad service and a horrible delivery experience are not fun..

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 03:54 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
Scott, FYI - I bought a 2006 Safari SE last month and got exactly the average off sticker price Silvertwinkie reports. I understand the markup in motorhomes is significantly more than in travel trailers, so it's not unusual to get a much higher percentage off sticker for a motorhome - even that 40% you mention might not be out of line. I spent several months and several trips to the dealer (and lots of time on this Forum) before negotiating the price so the dealer knew I was a serious buyer not just a looker and a dreamer (not that there's anything wrong with that.) I feel like I made a pretty strong effort at getting the price down and was happy with the final deal but it did take some effort to get there.
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 05:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbradhstream
Scott, FYI - I bought a 2006 Safari SE last month and got exactly the average off sticker price Silvertwinkie reports. I understand the markup in motorhomes is significantly more than in travel trailers, so it's not unusual to get a much higher percentage off sticker for a motorhome - even that 40% you mention might not be out of line. I spent several months and several trips to the dealer (and lots of time on this Forum) before negotiating the price so the dealer knew I was a serious buyer not just a looker and a dreamer (not that there's anything wrong with that.) I feel like I made a pretty strong effort at getting the price down and was happy with the final deal but it did take some effort to get there.
Actually, most major motor home manufacturers (Monaco, Newmar, Fleetwood, etc) use a pretty standard 35% margin to MSRP from dealer cost. The more expensive you go (Newell, Prevost conversions) the smaller the margins! But one would expect that, as you would never buy a $1.5 million coach if it had a $500,000 profit magrin in it!!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:07 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Our discount was approximately 18%, which I think was pretty good considering it had recently arrived at the dealership, they were the only Airstream dealer in the state, and there seems to be steady demand for the 19 footers. I did a fair amount of research, so I had a pre-conceived idea of what the price should be, and what I wanted to pay. After considerable negotiation, the dealer met that price to the dollar.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:32 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2005 22' Interstate
Afton , Virginia
(This is probably what you've already done, but if not, it's worth a try.)
Most dealers have a web site. You can log onto them, check out the inventory, prices, etc., and shoot the dealer an email with your question and what you think the unit is worth. Most will respond, and you can use what they quote as a basis for further dialog.
herrgirdner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
If you're ready~

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb201@aol.co
Also I see several dealers that say their prices won't be beat. So they must give something off. Just not sure how much to expect!
Thanks, Scott
Scott,
Okay here's the deal..
You tell me what you're looking for..A decent cash price range you're willing to pay...We might, depending on what you're looking for, get you into a brand new A/S that you'll feel good abt. I know where there's 4 new A/S of various size leftover from a defunt dearlship..
It's your call now..
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 07:43 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
There is a secret society named "The Aluminati" that you can join. Once initiated, you will receive deep deep discounts. The dealer will know you're a member from doing the "handshake".

Sorry... I couldn't resist.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 08:11 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmotini
There is a secret society named "The Aluminati" that you can join. Once initiated, you will receive deep deep discounts. The dealer will know you're a member from doing the "handshake".

Sorry... I couldn't resist.
Oh GAWD, that is so funny~!
But, you know ? I think he has a point there...
roflmao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 05-23-2006, 08:41 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Savannah , Georgia
53FC...are you affiliated with a dealer? I was looking at a 25 or 28 footer..
One that I could pull with a 2006 F-150...either international or safari. Thanks, Scott
Old 05-23-2006, 08:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Nope..

Quote:
53FC...are you affiliated with a dealer? I was looking at a 25 or 28 footer..
One that I could pull with a 2006 F-150...either international or safari. Thanks, Scott
Scott,
I used to work at the dealership here in NH, sort of an after hour thing..(That's another story)
Before the owner closed the business down, I used to work in sales and, did all of the arrival inspection for the A/S units. So, you might say I know the unit fairly well..
I'll check with the owner and, see what he has left..
You just might be in luck..
I'll get back to you via PM, if there's anything worthy of your consideration.
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 05-23-2006, 09:21 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Scott,
check your aol email...Good news`
that was sb201@aol.com ???
Vern
NEU #64
New England Unit
Old 05-23-2006, 01:58 PM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Thanks, Scott
Where do you "know" they are available for 30-40% off list price? Inquiring minds want to know.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 02:26 PM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Savannah , Georgia
30-40% off

That 30-40% off is what you can receive if you by a wood travel trailer.
I live in Georgia and you can buy them easily for 30% off... Scott
Old 05-23-2006, 03:01 PM   #16
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
That 30-40% off is what you can receive if you by a wood travel trailer.
I live in Georgia and you can buy them easily for 30% off... Scott
Thanks for the clarification. Airstreams don't fall into the same category. Not that the mark-up isn't the same, just the discounts aren't as much. Supply and demand. There are Airstreams and there are SOB's (some other brand). Uniqueness of the product...monopoly, etc.
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote