Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-06-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Any Big Green Egg Owners?

Anybody on here own a Big Green Egg?

Gotta say mine is one of the best investments I've made. I've got fajitas on it as we speak and figured I'd check to see if there any fellow streamers that were also fellow eggheads.

If I could only bring it with me when I'm camping. Having one at home makes it very hard to cook on gas at the campsite.

If you don't know what I'm talking about google Big Green Egg.
Old 11-06-2011, 04:04 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Here's a pic of my setup. My pointer Danny wanted to be included too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2498162262.png
Views:	186
Size:	860.4 KB
ID:	144694  
Old 11-06-2011, 04:13 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Big Green Egg

Ronnie:

We have had our BGE for about 8 years now. We love cooking on it but also have a Weber Genesis with sear station that we really like. Like you, it is hard to do without the BGE on trips--we carry a Weber Q 120 with the AS and have found it to be very good for us.

Nothing like the smoke and slow, though. Great steaks with a couple minutes at 700 on each side then shut it down to finish.

Tom and Deborah
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
green egg

I have a green egg and love it !
Old 11-06-2011, 05:16 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
I've been an Egg owner for about six years now and currently own two, a large and a small. Love them for grilling and smoking. My favorite has to be roasting the holiday turkey, but I've done briskets that have cooked for 24 hours on a single load of lump charcoal. I have yet to take one camping as they are pretty heavy, even the small.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:27 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2009 30' SO Classic
Suwanee , Georgia
Thumbs up Any Big Green Egg Owners

We have a regular size egg for use at home and the smallest one they make (the Mini I believe it is called) for use with the AS. It travels very nicely in the bed of the pick up. A little bulky to handle frequently, but is manageable for short period of time. Everything we have cooked on it has been outstanding but the pork tenderloin was probably the best. I highly recommend the BGE.

They are made in the Atlanta area and a visit to the company store is quite interesting. There is a large array of associated accessories available on site.

Barbara, Walter and Coco (fur child)
'09 - 27 ft Classic Limited
'08 - Ford F250 Super Duty Diesel
Maybe Later is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:04 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe Later
We have a regular size egg for use at home and the smallest one they make (the Mini I believe it is called) for use with the AS. It travels very nicely in the bed of the pick up. A little bulky to handle frequently, but is manageable for short period of time. Everything we have cooked on it has been outstanding but the pork tenderloin was probably the best. I highly recommend the BGE.

They are made in the Atlanta area and a visit to the company store is quite interesting. There is a large array of associated accessories available on site.

Barbara, Walter and Coco (fur child)
'09 - 27 ft Classic Limited
'08 - Ford F250 Super Duty Diesel
How do you secure the mini for travel? I'd be worried about it tipping over and breaking. Do you have it in the BGE nest?
Old 12-31-2011, 05:35 PM   #8
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Big Green Egg

I've owned and used a Green Egg for over 10 years now. I bought the next to the smallest, not sure what they offer now. I have hauled it all over the country, packed into the rear of my cab and 1/2 wedged snuggly behind the passenger seat. I do have the nest and carry it in the bed. It is still heavy, I believe 60+ lbs, but we have had so much fun with it that it makes up for the hassle. The last couple of years it has not made many trips, we have a Baby Q Weber and it does an excellent job. Everything is excellent on the BGE, but our favorites are baby back ribs, and brisket, although a whole chicken is to die for. 20 lbs of lump charcoal lasts all year. I did replace the cheap thermometer with a better one and need to replace the gasket sometime, but they are absolutely the best grill/smoker.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 06:36 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Jefferson Co , Ohio
What type of thermometer did you purchased?
Do you have a link for the product
Old 12-31-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Eureka Springs , Arkansas
I love mine! Natural charcoal and home grown hickory, that's the smell of heaven!!
triplenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 02:11 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
When I was a lad, back in the late 50's, our next door neighbor was a stevedore at the Port of San Francisco...One day he came back from work with a couple of these egg-shaped 'cookers' in crates from Japan...

This might have been the introduction of the 'egg' to the U.S., don't know for sure...they were a burnt orange color in those days...It had the cup shaped 'top' to cover/adjust the outlet, a wedge shaped piece to adjust the intake air, a clay disc with holes to lay the charcoal on, and the heavy clay body with the hinged, dome shaped 'lid'...

My folks used that 'egg' for many years - it was indestructible, save for the wire grille, which was replaced several times during their ownership...

It was passed along to me when they downsized, after about 40 years...I used it several years before passing it along to a friend, as it was still in good usable shape...

I've often wondered if Weber developed it's egg-shaped BBQ after the ceramic 'egg'...? In any event, a timeless design that's probably been used in Asia for hundreds of years...
Old 01-01-2012, 04:48 AM   #12
rbs
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
Decatur , Illinois
Thermometer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonymo View Post
What type of thermometer did you purchased?
Do you have a link for the product
I bought a Tel Tru, made in USA with a glass cover. They make all sorts of thermometers, very accurate as the original ended up being unreliable.
rbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:36 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1970 29' Ambassador
Evergreen , Colorado
Big Green Egg MiniMax Mounted to Airstream

Below is a stand design that swivels in and out for grilling. It has a lockable pin for the stowed position. Stand is welded to the frame of trailer. Weight distribution hitch shifts the extra weight (~100 lbs) to TV front and trailer wheels. Use polyfoam to cushion the BGE ceramic insides when traveling. MiniMax frame is bolted to the mount platform.

Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BGE mounted.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	262022   Click image for larger version

Name:	BGE Stowed.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	262023  

Name:	Stand Design.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	262024  
CCKlein1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:48 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Wow you must love the BGE to go to this modification. I have the Mini, which we borrowed from my father-in-law. Maybe its because of the size but I can't regulate the temperature very well. The only thing I cook on it is burgers because on my portable propane grill they leave such a mess to clean up and I don't want to risk more expensive meats.

Kelvin