Old 03-23-2004, 10:15 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Denver , Colorado
Any ATV Owners?

Just wondering if any of you are ATV owners.

I finally broke down and bought an ATV last fall after I became the last "traditionalist" hold-out in our hunting camp. For years I scorned ATV'ers for tearing up the countryside and just generally being lazy, sit on their a**es. After some hands-on experience helping a buddy wrestle an elk back to camp, however, I too had to acknowledge the benefits of the ATV - WHEN PROPERLY USED.

So, I did some research and put my money down on an Arctic Cat 500 TRV. It's the tandem two-rider model introduced last year. Been able to do some riding as of late, thanks to our unusually nice March weather, and am finally getting comfortable with it.

Just wonderin' what y'all might be ridin' and your thoughts and opinions on the different makes/models.

Old 03-23-2004, 10:30 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

I have an ATV, but unfortunately am unable to take it out very often. Maybe within the next year. I have a Honda Sportrax 250 EX.

Old 03-23-2004, 10:49 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Denver , Colorado
Joshua,

So your ATV is kind of a racing bike? Do you race it or just ride for fun? Why don't you get to ride often?
Old 03-24-2004, 09:28 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Brandon (near reservoir) , Mississippi
Older Honda 300 4X4 I bought new in 1993. When I replace it, I will probably get another Honda, maybe a Honda Foreman.

Out of all the different brands over the years at my deercamp, the Hondas have proven to be bullet proof.

I remember towing a brand new Polaris back to camp a few years ago. I wouldn't get one of those.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:43 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
I off road but not ATV.

I'm very active in keeping trail systems multi use. Unfortunaly ATV's with uneducated owners are some of the biggest problems we have to fight.

Good to hear everybody here is a responsible rider. I'm tired to seeing trails closed. Right now the closest legal place I have that I can go is over 2 hours away (Tellico). We may have lost the close trail because of people going off trail into the ajoining Wilderness and Wilderness managment areas. I'm sad to say it was mostly ATV damage that the local ECO group was siting as the reason to close. The really sad thing is the biggest offenders are the people that live in the area and can ride right into the area from their own property. They are still inthere doing damage right now with a Gate at the enterances that is locked.
59toaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2004, 10:28 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Denver , Colorado
Toaster,

Gosh that just irks me to no end. It's just that sort of thing that soured my opinion of ATV'ers so bad for so many years. As I said, all of the guys I hunt with in the Fall have had ATV's for a long time. Fortunately, they are all responsible and enviro conscious. Most of the time the ATV's are only used for transport from camp to a hunting spot via established dirt roads. Occasionally it is necessary to divert from an established road in order to retrieve down game. When this is necessary, though, they crawl along in 4-wheel drive so as not to spin a wheel and tear things up and are careful to plot a path that does not trample vegetation. Unformtunately, there sure are alot of other hunters that we have encountered over the years that don't seem to give a s***t one way or the other.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
C_C:

It really is a shame to see these sort of problems. I don't know what so hard about "STAY ON THE MARKED TRAIL".

Tellico has actully banned ATV's from a couple trails. There is a rock garden that you cannot make on a ATV so the irresponsible ATV riders blazed a trail through the woods and have destroyed an area about 150ft wide and 400ft long to create a bypass Now the real problem is there is ZERO enforcement. So they get away with it.

These folks are not affiliated with any clubs. That basicly equated to not being educated for most people. I grab as many as I can and talk to them and educate them to the problem they are creating for everybody. Some honestly don't care.

We have talked about opening our club and amending our bylaws to alow for ATV members. The reason it hasn't happend is we find the club works well at 50 memebers that we seem to have reached a holding point at. We do have memebrs that will drive their ATV's instead of their trucks from time to time.

I would love to see some ATV clubs, like the 4x4 comunity has, for the recreational riders. There are some Like GARTRA but they are more targeted at the motorcyclists. Get them invloved with www.ufwda.org, Blue ribbon and Tread lightly. The hunting clubs and associations seem to do a pretty good job educating and just do not seem to have any problems out of folks involved in group activities. It's the recreational riders that are the problem. Most of them do not know what "Widerness" designations mean.
Old 03-24-2004, 11:29 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Denver , Colorado
During big game season the worst transgression by most ATV riders seems to be excessive speed on the established roads. Things get so dusty on those roads that i have had several near misses with ATV's going way too fast, given the poor visibility. But, I have seen guys just take off cross-country and blaze new trails through the woods and hillsides, either for the heck of it or because they were too lazy to get off the bike and walk there. One of the problems here in Colorado is that some USFS/BLM areas are limited access for motor vehicles while other, often adjoining, areas are open access unless posted (God knows why). Often I think riders don't realize the motor vehicle restrictions in place in some areas and so don't make any attempt to honor them.

I do have to say, however, that the Colorado Division of Wildlife has taken steps to increase ATV rider responsibility. For instance, it is now illegal statewide (as of two years ago, I think) for anyone to carry a loaded, uncased rifle or shotgun on an ATV. This allows you to transport the cased firearm, but makes it much more difficult for someone to actually hunt from an ATV. The wildlife officers are also being more vigilant in stopping an ticketing violators.

Just like anything - gotta respect other preople and their property (including public property) or all the privileges get taken away.
Old 03-24-2004, 09:28 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Denver , Colorado
My Cat

Here's a pick of my Arctic Cat 5oo TRV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thecat.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	5421  
Old 03-24-2004, 09:32 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Denver , Colorado
My Playground

Here's where I've been riding as of late. Near the town of Jefferson about 80 miles Southwest of Denver.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mountain.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	5422  
Old 03-24-2004, 09:37 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' Bambi
Denver , Colorado
My Friend Tim on The Cat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	timatv_driving.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	56.0 KB
ID:	5423  
Old 03-25-2004, 08:21 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1959 22' Caravanner
Atlanta , Georgia
Re: My Playground

Quote:
Originally posted by COLORADO_CAMPER
Here's where I've been riding as of late. Near the town of Jefferson about 80 miles Southwest of Denver.
MAN! I miss that veiw!

When I was a kid we did a LOT of camping in CO. We spent at least 2 weeks a year out there.

If I was in the market for a ATV that is about what I would want. nice 4wd cruise.

I think the problem all comes down to education. Some people are flunking misearably.
I'm glad to hear the FS and BLM are actually doing something about the problems in your area. It's the oposite here. There is only one Enforcement officer for the Forest sytem I use and he retired last week and has not been replaced. Yet and we don't expect to see a replacement for 6 months.
In NC at Tellico the only time I have seen any enforcement is crashes on Trail one (a gravel road betoween Murphy NC and TN.). They drive Ford Expiditions so they NEVER get back into the trail systems and patrol. www.sfwda.org is a group I am also affiliated with and they are pressuring to make a change and have more enforcment that is visiable. Few tickets would do some good.

I hope to get my act together and try to make it out for the Vintage Rally Shari has posted about this year. Maybe We will get to meet then.

Ohh here is a little web site that has about 3 million hits per month that I help Moderate. www.ck5.com Another reason I want to get out that way soon.
I go by Grim there.