Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
I think it's kind of pretty. Too bad the owner who spent all the time and bucks to get it into this unaffordable condition didn't end up enjoying all that it (maybe) had to offer.
Old 08-22-2008, 10:11 PM   #22
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Something the might help it sell, would be removing the generator and fuel tank from the front, and installing a more stock-appearing tongue assembly.
IF I had the money, and was looking for something like it (knowing what I know about these coaches), I would be leery of this one, for the reasons stated above about the added tongue weight.
From all the money spent on it, spending another $1000 or so to remove and put the tongue back to rights may be worth it to sell.
It is the most obvious alteration, and probably the easiest to "fix".
Of course, my free advice is worth what you paid for it...
Old 08-22-2008, 11:01 PM   #23
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I might as well jump in here...........

I've worked on lots of high end motor homes......$500K and up are my main stock in trade. The folks who have them custom built usually do so within certain 'parameters' that maintain the re-sale potential of the unit when they 'tire' of it and move on to a newer, bigger, better whatever.....'cause they CAN!

This trailer is SO OVERDONE that I would be surprised if anyone bought it. The huge tow weight is a certain drawback for the sale....unless the potential buyer happens to own an F-450 dually or Freightliner Sport Chassis tow monster. And like Gary says.....who thought up the generator placement and outrageous tongue weight? Obviously.....they weren't thinking at all!!

Plus, for the kind of $$$$$ the owner spent (probably 'cause he could!) he had the option of having a custom motor home interior done on a diesel pusher chassis..........with a far better resale potential and no towing issues at all!!!!

Might make a nice beach house or cabana for someone....though!

I sure wouldn't tow it....even if I could!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:47 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post

Might make a nice beach house or cabana for someone....though!

I sure wouldn't tow it....even if I could!
you might be on the money. if left at a site, the fuel tanks could be kept empty/low an been filled on site. with $$$ not being a factor, the tv could have been a peterbilt!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 08:29 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1963 28' Ambassador
Smiths Grove , Kentucky
Left intact I would have major concerns that the frame has been reinforced enough to handle the extensive amount of weight. I think it is pretty sharp but frightening to pull down the road. More than adequate as a park model but no towing.

63silver
63Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 10:17 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Man for $250,000 minus the $5,000 i paid for my airstream... I could deck mine out for probally $50,000 and have more taste in my little finger than that thing does.

But thats my little finger and my taste, to each his own..

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 01:52 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcmotorcars View Post
This is my clients airstream. He had it customized the way he wanted. Some people like it, others hate it. Everyone customizes to their own taste, and their own price. Ever take a look at the Lamborghini's on ebay? They are over 200k and selling like crazy still. The local dealership here is ordering new ones constantly. The economy doesn't affect everyone the same. He's put over 500k into it and selling for less than half that and it was only used 1 time. So it may be way overpriced to some, but not to everyone.
It just goes to show that having money is no guarantee of either good taste or common sense. You may find another fool buyer like the one who had this White Elephant built and then when they get bored and tire of it you can start the whole process over again. Put over $500K in it and used it one time you say. Delusional I'd say.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 02:12 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
There all overpriced, they are only worth what you will pay for one.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:49 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
$450,000 Airstream

Anyone who can afford to buy one of these should just give it to charity and take a tax write off..... signed Tommi "charity" .......aka Msmoto
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 03:51 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1994 34' Excella
Mount Vernon , Kentucky
I'm not going to debate whether it is worth the price or not......don't see it to be any worse than paying a man millions of dollars to knock a ball around a court, field, etc. Just glad that the common man like 63silver can afford one.
94Tri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:28 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Spokane , Washington
Playing the devils advocate here, but I don't see any problem with the seller asking for what he/she wants out of this unit. If someone has that much money to put into upgrades on a trailer, then they're rolling with a much bigger wallet than I have.
To bmcmotorcars, I suspect that if you did the renovations to the trailer for your client, then you must have pocketed quite a bit yourself. It's the capitalistic way our society is set up. If you don't like it, move on and find something else, even something affordable.
Pertaining to the trailer though, all I can say is wow... The unit is basically decked out in the nicest stuff that someone can find, but the likelihood of finding another person, with money, that has that same taste is about the same as finding a needle at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean...

I've seen on Unique Whips that they did a trailer for Pamela Anderson. I can only surmise that insidious amounts of money were put into the upgrades and renovation, and if she ever goes to sell, it's most likely going to be hugely expensive, but again, the likelihood of finding the correct buyer, other than a Pamela Anderson stalker, would be slim to none...

Of interesting note, it would be interesting in knowing who owns this trailer and finding out the reasons for the sale... :~)
FlytoFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #32

atlanta , Georgia
Quote:
Playing the devils advocate here, but I don't see any problem with the seller asking for what he/she wants out of this unit. If someone has that much money to put into upgrades on a trailer, then they're rolling with a much bigger wallet than I have.
To bmcmotorcars, I suspect that if you did the renovations to the trailer for your client, then you must have pocketed quite a bit yourself. It's the capitalistic way our society is set up. If you don't like it, move on and find something else, even something affordable.
Pertaining to the trailer though, all I can say is wow... The unit is basically decked out in the nicest stuff that someone can find, but the likelihood of finding another person, with money, that has that same taste is about the same as finding a needle at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean...

I've seen on Unique Whips that they did a trailer for Pamela Anderson. I can only surmise that insidious amounts of money were put into the upgrades and renovation, and if she ever goes to sell, it's most likely going to be hugely expensive, but again, the likelihood of finding the correct buyer, other than a Pamela Anderson stalker, would be slim to none...

Of interesting note, it would be interesting in knowing who owns this trailer and finding out the reasons for the sale... :~)
I agree with you. I didn't build this or have anything to do with it besides helping him list it for sale. I agree there may never be a buyer with the same taste and same type of money for something like this. If he never finds a buyer, thats fine, he will keep it. But your absolutely right that he has every right to ask what he wants for it. It's not my taste either, but I won't bash his personal character like others have done because of it.
bmcmotorcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 04:51 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
things like death or illness often change lives. whatever the reason, so what?

it might be a quick sale if it came with a lot somewhere :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 05:36 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2007 25' Classic
Hydes
I think when the most expesive Airstream from the factory lists for just over $100,000.00. and you see that someone has a half a millon invested in a renovation and has used it once and has it up for sale for half that ,you have to question their judgment.
craftsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 07:34 PM   #35
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftsman View Post
I think when the most expesive Airstream from the factory lists for just over $100,000.00. and you see that someone has a half a millon invested in a renovation and has used it once and has it up for sale for half that ,you have to question their judgment.
Judgement is one thing.....getting raked over the coals is quite another. I don't care if they have solid gold fixtures in the bathroom.........someone made a huge pile of cash on that restoration. I've been in 45' motor homes where the owners spent 100K and had superior finishes, design AND equipment to what is in this trailer.

One could commission a design and engineering firm to build a trailer with a titanium frame, custom interior using the latest and greatest materials and appliances and still have a large chunk of change left over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of luck finding ANYONE who will buy this for over 100K!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2008, 11:29 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Some things I like about this trailer and some I don't. Not really an issue though as I can't afford it.

I do have friends and relatives who could easily buy this unit without it causing a blip to their overall net worth.

Many people in that rarified financial level spend for what they want whether you or I think it's foolish or not.

A friend of ours has a $150,000 moho because she likes it. She also just added a Bentley convertable ($350,000 ish) to her garage full of high end MB's and BMW's.

If she wanted an A/S and liked this one. She'd buy it and a tow vehicle and be happy. If she asked my opinion I would recomend removing the tongue additions and wish her well.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:31 AM   #37
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
While they report replacing the axles with heavier duty axles, I would still be afraid of the weight on the frame. It seems that the semi-monocoque system design that Airstream uses wasn't engineered to carry that much weight even with heavier axles.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:57 AM   #38
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Seems to be very small but growing number of these types of units out there. Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous I suppose.

Too rich for my blood, but maybe not for someone else. In the meantime, I'll just have to make due with my plain old production Safari.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 08:49 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Lenoir City , Tennessee
Why the attitude?

I ordered a 2008 Classic 31 shell and am having it custom outfitted. I've been warned that it will be commonplace for people to ask to see the inside. After reading these posts I will be reluctant to do so - even at AS gatherings. People buy AS's because they have a unique outside appearance. Is there some unwritten rule that if you take one and outfit it as you wish - regardless of the price - that you've committed some sort of "neighborhood" sin? I'm putting exactly what I want in my AS (within weight limits, of course) because I plan to spend a lot of time in it and I can afford it. I'm not buying it as an investment, or for resale, or to impress anyone or to prove a point. Just to enjoy it.

My .02.
kfrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 09:53 AM   #40
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Good for you.... Do what you want with the inside... I'm gonna redo mine and I'm sure not everyone will like it as we all have different taste...

and you are gonna use it and enjoy it. Good for you..... It's not a sin to redo the inside..."It is however a sin to do it and use it once... (thats a joke bmcmotorcars).."

I just think it is a waste to buy it and leave it parked... Get out and enjoy it...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote