Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-24-2013, 04:30 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
I bought a nw set of Michelins for my car several months ago. The $70 rebate came as a MC. I had to enter my phone # as my pin in order to activate the card. Unfortunately, the dealer must have entered the number incorrectly and I couldn't activate the card. No ph# to call and actually reach a human , even one in India. So I sent it back to Michelin with a note. That's been over 2 months. A check would have been better.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
I feel disillusioned and taken advantage of somewhat. Wouldn't any consumer assume "rebate" means "cash"?
Did you open that envelope and expect to see 4 $20 bills? You probably expected a check, which isn't cash either. The debit cards are just the latest iteration of that.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:09 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When I get one of those rebate debit cards, I usually purchase something that exceeds the card amount an exhaust it in a single purchase.

The annual CostCo rebate comes as a check that can only be used at CostCo. That really limits your spending options.... Last year I was given cash at the main desk for the rebate amount.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #24
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Do as I did.....

Carla,

Just take the stoopid card to your local petrol station, prepay 80 bucks worth and then throw the damn thing away.

Bob
Old 07-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Did you open that envelope and expect to see 4 $20 bills? You probably expected a check, which isn't cash either. The debit cards are just the latest iteration of that.
Skater, a check/cheque is potential cash. A pre-loaded MC is not. I can invest cash. I cannot invest a pre-loaded MC.

I find it ironic that "cashless society" has become today's catch-word. Yep. Society is sure cashless all right; over-extended on credit with little to no cash. Do you know what I would have done with those four $20 bills (had I had them)? I would have deposited them into a tax-free savings account that the federal government has set-up as an incentive for Canadians to save more - spend less on credit.

I would have liked the idea of parlaying it into something later. I like the idea of that fiscal freedom of choice. That is why I am still mad about the pre-loaded MC. That choice was taken away. That is where one finds personal (and fiscal) reward. I don't believe in blabbing about one's finances on a forum, but I will make this one exception. The FaN was purchased from a 25k cash stake which was invested/parlayed into the full purchase price. This was done during the last decade of global economic uncertainty and crisis - the last five being the worse since the Great Depression.

That was challenging and rewarding. Going to WalMart with a pre-loaded credit card is not.

That is why....
I am still disappointed and mad!
(Not at you. At BadYear Tires and MasterDupe!)
Old 07-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #26
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Skater, a check/cheque is potential cash. A pre-loaded MC is not. I can invest cash. I cannot invest a pre-loaded MC.

I find it ironic that "cashless society" has become today's catch-word. Yep. Society is sure cashless all right; over-extended on credit with little to no cash. Do you know what I would have done with those four $20 bills (had I had them)? I would have deposited them into a tax-free savings account that the federal government has set-up as an incentive for Canadians to save more - spend less on credit.

I would have liked the idea of parlaying it into something later. I like the idea of that fiscal freedom of choice. That is why I am still mad about the pre-loaded MC. That choice was taken away. That is where one finds personal (and fiscal) reward. I don't believe in blabbing about one's finances on a forum, but I will make this one exception. The FaN was purchased from a 25k cash stake which was invested/parlayed into the full purchase price. This was done during the last decade of global economic uncertainty and crisis - the last five being the worse since the Great Depression.

That was challenging and rewarding. Going to WalMart with a pre-loaded credit card is not.

That is why....
I am still disappointed and mad!
(Not at you. At BadYear Tires and MasterDupe!)
FaN,

You could use the MC to buy $80 worth of gas and then take the cash you would have spent and put in into that tax-free savings account. Just trying to be of assistance.

John S.
JDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:55 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The thing that gripes me about these pre-loaded cards is that it is just another example of the banks inserting themselves into every transaction in a way that makes them money and costs the consumer. Had they sent you a check, there are transactions involving banks, but the costs of the transactions amount pennies. They give you a debit card, and when you spend that $80, MC or Visa gets at least 5% right off the top. The retailers have gotten used to paying the banks on every transaction, so now that cost is just built right into the price. I really appreciate businesses that offer a discount for cash--there just aren't very many of them.
Belegedhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:53 PM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I've not ever found a rebate worth the offering. It's obviously a come-on. Good service, especially on tires trumps any rebate. A knowedgeable tire store owner pays me, in a manner of speaking, many miles down the road when it comes to an exact choice. The final price is almost moot in comparison.

switz said it best. The commercial contract trumps the social contract (huh, what was that?!)

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:51 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
BTW, I have donated thousands to one non-profit organization, thank-you.
Quote:
I don't believe in blabbing about one's finances on a forum, but I will make this one exception. The FaN was purchased from a 25k cash stake which was invested/parlayed into the full purchase price.
2nd exception.

Point made. you want to save instead of spend. Take the $80 cash you would have spent at the gas station and invest it; use the pre-paid card for gas instead. at some point you have to buy something unless you don't travel, grow your own food, raise your own cotton to weave your own fabric to sew your own clothes, etc.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:24 PM   #30
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
After they start putting chips in everyone you wont have to worry about cash or credit-debit cards.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:25 PM   #31

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
I've not ever found a rebate worth the offering. It's obviously a come-on. Good service, especially on tires trumps any rebate. A knowedgeable tire store owner pays me, in a manner of speaking, many miles down the road when it comes to an exact choice. The final price is almost moot in comparison.

switz said it best. The commercial contract trumps the social contract (huh, what was that?!)

However, if the manufacturer is offering the rebate, and they make the tires you want, the rebate should be available at the vendor of your choosing. Michelin seems to have the rebate everywhere when they have it, seems like one month per quarter (I haven't been writing it down, that's just the impression I get) at both Discount Tire and Costco, for example. Maybe the local shops with more knowledgeable owners get the same offer from Michelin?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:30 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJtoNC View Post
2nd exception.
LOL! I wuz mad. People who are mad tend to contradict themselves.

BTW, are you keeping track of these "exceptions?"

Please tell me where else I dunnit....spouted-off my Dun and Broadstreet.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:39 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDS View Post
FaN,

You could use the MC to buy $80 worth of gas and then take the cash you would have spent and put in into that tax-free savings account. Just trying to be of assistance.

John S.
Bob and John,

Always appreciate any assistance from you and others on the Forum.

What I've decided to do is this: I really need new "unmentionables."
So, that is what I am going to spend my "rebate" on.

It will be so apropos too. A way to exercise my rebellion. I will think of Badyear and Master Dupe everytime I drop my drawers.....

Old 07-24-2013, 09:58 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Uh-oh. I mentioned unmentionables.

NJ to NC....is that my third, fourth, fifth or ????? exception?

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Old 07-25-2013, 04:47 AM   #35
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Bob and John,

Always appreciate any assistance from you and others on the Forum.

What I've decided to do is this: I really need new "unmentionables."
So, that is what I am going to spend my "rebate" on.

It will be so apropos too. A way to exercise my rebellion. I will think of Badyear and Master Dupe everytime I drop my drawers.....

OMG.....photo's?

Bob
Old 07-25-2013, 12:02 PM   #36
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
Quote:
hehe.. i lol'ed.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:14 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
NJtoNC, you're slipping.

One exception/demerit point to Bob for mentioning unmentionables!