Old 07-23-2013, 10:39 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post

Sure. So they can charge up an unlimited amount every month. I'm a bottomless pit!

I might have done that, had they given me the cash.

BTW, I have donated thousands to one non-profit organization, thank-you.
Dear FaN,
I meant no disrespect.

cwf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #16

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belegedhel View Post
Typically these rebate cards are a debit card only. They may be administered by Visa or Mastercard, but you aren't being handed a limitless credit card, just a debit card with a finite balance (of $80 in this case).

My irritation with these rebate cards is that when you get down to $3, it is very difficult to spend. If you try to buy something worth $5, and you swipe your card, it won't exhaust it like it would a gift card, it will tell you that you have insufficient funds for the purchase. So you have to keep track of what is left on it, and make some kind of very strategic purchase toward the end.
Know the balance (X), instruct the cashier to ring up X on that card and pay the rest in cash. At Target, you can even do that yourself on their card readers, I'm annoyed every time I have to tell it "yes, charge it all to the one card" in fact.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:25 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Beleged, I haven't read the fine print - just threw the card back into the envelope.
You are probably right. I thought it was just another credit card. I was annoyed because the idea behind buying the FaN was to downsize the consumerism.

It seems everyone wants to hand you a credit card these days, to say nothing of those "customer appreciation cards" etc. My wallet is full of them. I get tired of lugging the lot around.

Thanks everyone for the reply. I will know what to expect - next time I apply for a "rebate."
Old 07-24-2013, 12:27 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Dear FaN,
I meant no disrespect.
cwf, no problem. Your heart was in the right place.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:04 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
That is a common way of paying rebates these days. I used one yesterday at Best Buy to buy a new microwave.
Hi, I get them all of the time; I just used one yesterday to help pay for a new weed eater from Sears.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:26 AM   #20
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Beleged, I haven't read the fine print - just threw the card back into the envelope.
You are probably right. I thought it was just another credit card. I was annoyed because the idea behind buying the FaN was to downsize the consumerism.

It seems everyone wants to hand you a credit card these days, to say nothing of those "customer appreciation cards" etc. My wallet is full of them. I get tired of lugging the lot around.

Thanks everyone for the reply. I will know what to expect - next time I apply for a "rebate."
There is an App for that... called Key Chain available for Android, BB and iPhone. For years I had a second key chain with all the little cards on it, rather than carry them in my wallet.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:30 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
I bought a nw set of Michelins for my car several months ago. The $70 rebate came as a MC. I had to enter my phone # as my pin in order to activate the card. Unfortunately, the dealer must have entered the number incorrectly and I couldn't activate the card. No ph# to call and actually reach a human , even one in India. So I sent it back to Michelin with a note. That's been over 2 months. A check would have been better.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:06 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
Quote:
I feel disillusioned and taken advantage of somewhat. Wouldn't any consumer assume "rebate" means "cash"?
Did you open that envelope and expect to see 4 $20 bills? You probably expected a check, which isn't cash either. The debit cards are just the latest iteration of that.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:09 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
When I get one of those rebate debit cards, I usually purchase something that exceeds the card amount an exhaust it in a single purchase.

The annual CostCo rebate comes as a check that can only be used at CostCo. That really limits your spending options.... Last year I was given cash at the main desk for the rebate amount.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:31 AM   #24
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Do as I did.....

Carla,

Just take the stoopid card to your local petrol station, prepay 80 bucks worth and then throw the damn thing away.

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skater View Post
Did you open that envelope and expect to see 4 $20 bills? You probably expected a check, which isn't cash either. The debit cards are just the latest iteration of that.
Skater, a check/cheque is potential cash. A pre-loaded MC is not. I can invest cash. I cannot invest a pre-loaded MC.

I find it ironic that "cashless society" has become today's catch-word. Yep. Society is sure cashless all right; over-extended on credit with little to no cash. Do you know what I would have done with those four $20 bills (had I had them)? I would have deposited them into a tax-free savings account that the federal government has set-up as an incentive for Canadians to save more - spend less on credit.

I would have liked the idea of parlaying it into something later. I like the idea of that fiscal freedom of choice. That is why I am still mad about the pre-loaded MC. That choice was taken away. That is where one finds personal (and fiscal) reward. I don't believe in blabbing about one's finances on a forum, but I will make this one exception. The FaN was purchased from a 25k cash stake which was invested/parlayed into the full purchase price. This was done during the last decade of global economic uncertainty and crisis - the last five being the worse since the Great Depression.

That was challenging and rewarding. Going to WalMart with a pre-loaded credit card is not.

That is why....
I am still disappointed and mad!
(Not at you. At BadYear Tires and MasterDupe!)
Old 07-24-2013, 01:32 PM   #26
JDS
2014 Bowlus Road Chief

Cumming , Iowa
Quote:
Skater, a check/cheque is potential cash. A pre-loaded MC is not. I can invest cash. I cannot invest a pre-loaded MC.

I find it ironic that "cashless society" has become today's catch-word. Yep. Society is sure cashless all right; over-extended on credit with little to no cash. Do you know what I would have done with those four $20 bills (had I had them)? I would have deposited them into a tax-free savings account that the federal government has set-up as an incentive for Canadians to save more - spend less on credit.

I would have liked the idea of parlaying it into something later. I like the idea of that fiscal freedom of choice. That is why I am still mad about the pre-loaded MC. That choice was taken away. That is where one finds personal (and fiscal) reward. I don't believe in blabbing about one's finances on a forum, but I will make this one exception. The FaN was purchased from a 25k cash stake which was invested/parlayed into the full purchase price. This was done during the last decade of global economic uncertainty and crisis - the last five being the worse since the Great Depression.

That was challenging and rewarding. Going to WalMart with a pre-loaded credit card is not.

That is why....
I am still disappointed and mad!
(Not at you. At BadYear Tires and MasterDupe!)
FaN,

You could use the MC to buy $80 worth of gas and then take the cash you would have spent and put in into that tax-free savings account. Just trying to be of assistance.

John S.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 21' Globetrotter
Houston , Texas
The thing that gripes me about these pre-loaded cards is that it is just another example of the banks inserting themselves into every transaction in a way that makes them money and costs the consumer. Had they sent you a check, there are transactions involving banks, but the costs of the transactions amount pennies. They give you a debit card, and when you spend that $80, MC or Visa gets at least 5% right off the top. The retailers have gotten used to paying the banks on every transaction, so now that cost is just built right into the price. I really appreciate businesses that offer a discount for cash--there just aren't very many of them.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:53 PM   #28
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
I've not ever found a rebate worth the offering. It's obviously a come-on. Good service, especially on tires trumps any rebate. A knowedgeable tire store owner pays me, in a manner of speaking, many miles down the road when it comes to an exact choice. The final price is almost moot in comparison.

switz said it best. The commercial contract trumps the social contract (huh, what was that?!)

Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote