Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-02-2014, 05:56 AM   #81
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Good attitude and persistence are the key to almost everything. Good luck. Peace. Jim
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:40 AM   #82
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I thought it would be a good thing to post an update on Marie. We had a good Thanksgiving, and Marie thought it would be good to visit her sister in Asheville for the weekend. We loaded up Sophie and Marie, and drove several hours to get there. Along the way, Sophie got carsick, and Marie discovered something she ate for Thanksgiving didn't agree with her. So, we arrived in Asheville with the inside of the car smelling like dog puke, and other things. But we arrived. Marie's sister insisted on dragging her to several stores on Friday and Saturday, even though her sister was also under the weather. We returned Sunday afternoon, I did several days' worth of housework in a few hours, and Marie crashed in her recliner for the next two days. She now admits maybe traveling, at least for the near future, may not be something she does.

My wife had her stroke in January 2000 and our first attempt at a trip was to visit our son at college. The ride normally took about two and a half hours, but it took us almost nine hours as we had to stop every 30 minutes or so to let her stand up due to her not being able to sit very long in the car seat. Going home was about the same, but we kept persevering and her ability to travel got better, so much so we rented a motor home in 2005 and spent a week in Maine. She got stronger and we bought our first Airstream in 2007 and we have logged over 50,000 miles and seen 42 states.

My advice for what it's worth, is take small trips, rest periodically, and keep the faith, it will get better, it just takes time...

Bless you both

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 07:46 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good for you, Reganzo, and thanks for sharing such an inspirational experience.

One of the things we have to remind ourselves during hard times is that tomorrow is another day, and things get better with time.

Not necessarily just the way we would like, as we have no control over anything but ourselves. It's just the way it is.

Get up every day, do your part, keep moving in a positive direction, and trust that it will all work out.

XO Maggie
Old 12-03-2014, 02:26 PM   #84
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Good for you, Reganzo, and thanks for sharing such an inspirational experience. One of the things we have to remind ourselves during hard times is that tomorrow is another day, and things get better with time. Not necessarily just the way we would like, as we have no control over anything but ourselves. It's just the way it is. Get up every day, do your part, keep moving in a positive direction, and trust that it will all work out. XO Maggie

Thanks for the kind words Maggie, and as you know the universe has a way of throwing curve balls that changes lives in an instant. I feel blessed that my wife has the strength and patience to allow me to help and care for her. She teaches me everyday how to be a better person, and I thank her for that...

Keep the faith

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #85

1955 16' Bubble
Santa Rosa beach , Florida
I haved just joined, and I have absolutely no clue if I am posting in the right place or not. Happy Holidays& Merry Christmas!
We have a beloved 1955 Bubble, which is used for our shave ice business, and it's been very, very good to us!!!! I am in search of a business/company/very talented individual who does light refurbishing; polishing, repair/patching of some inside walls, that sort of thing. We are in the Florida Panhandle, and ( once again) are clueless as to where to find this type of help. We have only the winter months to accomplish this, as we reopen for Spring Breakers in march. Thoughts, suggestions, prayers, lol!!! Thank you in advance for any and all input!!!
Bondgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 05:06 AM   #86
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Good morning.
I thought it was time for another Marie Report. She's had an eventful few days, what with getting fired from her job last Friday, and scrambling to get some kind of insurance to cover her. It seems the company she worked for decided they didn't want to continue paying their share of her health insurance premiums, and their team of lawyers decided it was not against the law to do this. It's unethical, but not illegal. So, among other things, she is going to be without insurance for a while. Not a comfortable feeling...
Since she had to take an early retirement, she will be getting Social Security check, at a reduced amount, and Medicare, which will have the premiums deducted from her reduced Social Security.

She also went to her new primary care doctor for a follow up from the stroke. He determined she has come a long way, but needs to go even further to recover enough to drive, work, or travel. Her next appointment is in March, when he will evaluate her again.
I am getting her a weight set, so she can practice lifting the weights (up to 10 pounds), and she has requested a treadmill, since I really don't want her going on the long walks she needs to build up her weak leg, unless I am here with her. Since I get home from work well after dark every day, that part is not really a viable option, so I am on the hunt for a treadmill.

Other than that, we're having a great time, and wish y'all were here.
Old 12-11-2014, 05:57 AM   #87
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Terry, Terry.....you're the best.

Hugs to you both.

Maggie
Old 12-11-2014, 05:57 AM   #88
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
You might check SA, Goodwill, etc. thrift stores for a treadmill. Lots of those get donated, judging by what I see when I drop off donations.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 06:20 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Terry:

IF Marie's company provided health coverage for her she is entitled by law for COBRA coverage. It's never cheap as it usually ends up being the full premium cost (your share plus the companies plus a little extra for paperwork), but if affordable it's an option for up to 18 months.

You don't need a lawyer to secure this benefit, simply call the Human Resources office and tell them that you would like Marie's COBRA package. I had the opportunity to run two different companies in my career and had the ultimate HR responsibility so this came up quite often with people leaving, fired etc. So, I urge you to at least check into it, as noted it's not cheap.

You might even try to get the company to kick in something for six months or so as a severance package settlement. I've not been involved for a while but under the new laws termination for illness may be a illegal.

My Best
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 07:27 AM   #90
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
I wondered about COBRA, too, but figure Terry and Marie are aware of that.

There may be an appeal process.

I also wondered about applying for Unemployment. Don't know that she is eligible, but they may have some good information about her rights.....and the responsibilities of her employer.

Maggie
Old 12-11-2014, 08:55 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Maggie good thoughts on unemployment. Terry if you don't know about COBRA and if Marie's employer failed to give her the Federally required COBRA "package" they have violated several statutes. Probably not worth any kind of law suite BUT is certainly a negotiated position if you decide to pursue this, in my opinion, unethical firing. Most companies and company executives I know and have known would not consider such a move. Keep in mind Marie's HR department MUST have provided her with this information at or within 30 days of termination in writing, at least that it what my lawyers always told me and we always had a package ready if we got two weeks notice and or terminated the employee.

My Best
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 09:32 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sometimes going to these kinds of people armed with information makes all the difference.

Maggie
Old 12-11-2014, 10:28 AM   #93
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Cobra would cost 3/4 of Marie's social security.
In order to file an unemployment clami, she has to be able to work, and able to go out and look for work.
Worker's comp doesn't cover strokes that occur on the job.
The minimum time employers must "hold" a job under the FMLA is 90 days. It's been almost that now, and by the time her termination is effective, it will have been exactly 90 days.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:03 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Bummer, Terry.

Stay the course.

Maggie
Old 12-25-2014, 06:12 PM   #95
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Good evening, and Merry Christmas.
I thought it would be a good time for a Marie Update. She has graduated from a walker at night to only a cane almost all the time. This is good, and she continues to gain confidence with her walking. I picked up a couple of video games for her computer, as well as a small indoor remote control helicopter. She now has these to help redevelop her eye/hand coordination. I don't know about the video games, but flying a helicopter without crashing into stuff is not easy. I've been trying it out when she isn't using it, and have so far managed to terrorize my brother and Sophie with it. The blinds in the living room are a little worse for wear, as well. Marie has only tried to take out the star on the Christmas tree so far.
For breakfast Christmas morning, I asked Marie what she would like me to make. She replied, "surprise me". From her response to what I gave her, I'm guessing she didn't really want me to give her leftover pasta salad...
Old 12-25-2014, 06:31 PM   #96
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
it was nice of you to save the popcorn garland from the tree for new year's day :-) Merry Christmas!
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2014, 05:19 AM   #97
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois

You can pick up small, inexpensive, remote control toys for the floor, Terry, at TJMaxx and Tuesday Morning. I

I kept several of these for the grands....ladybugs with flapping wings, etc...... and they at least are not airborne.

Sounds like everything continues to keep moving in a positive direction.

Am saving my unused space at Alumalina for you two, in hopes you will be able to come down, so think about that. Everyone would love to see you, and the roads are nice and level for Marie to walk on.

Hugs to you both.

Maggie
Old 12-31-2014, 05:17 PM   #98
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Okay, it's time for the end-of-year Marie Report.
She is continuing to do a little better and is attending her therapy sessions regularly. The PT person says she is doing well, and she is pretty much completely doing without her walker. I've caught her a couple of times staggering across the kitchen, sans cane.

I was talking to a friend about her being stuck at home, able to do "work-at home" stuff, but she can't get out to find one. After some back-and-forth, she was offered, and accepted, a part-time position answering phones as part of a reservation service for an RV-oriented publication most of us are familiar with. She likes her new job, her new employer likes her, and her self-esteem has risen dramatically.
So, if anybody wants to make a phone reservation for one of the rally-type events sponsored by the publication, she may be the one that answers the phone.
Old 12-31-2014, 07:24 PM   #99
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Okay, it's time for the end-of-year Marie Report.
She is continuing to do a little better and is attending her therapy sessions regularly. The PT person says she is doing well, and she is pretty much completely doing without her walker. I've caught her a couple of times staggering across the kitchen, sans cane.

I was talking to a friend about her being stuck at home, able to do "work-at home" stuff, but she can't get out to find one. After some back-and-forth, she was offered, and accepted, a part-time position answering phones as part of a reservation service for an RV-oriented publication most of us are familiar with. She likes her new job, her new employer likes her, and her self-esteem has risen dramatically.
So, if anybody wants to make a phone reservation for one of the rally-type events sponsored by the publication, she may be the one that answers the phone.
I'm so happy to hear this. There are lots of home based telecommunications jobs, but some are very stressful. This one sounds perfect, and most of the callers will be happy.

Paula
Old 12-31-2014, 07:31 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So good to hear, Terry.

Hugs to you both, and Happy New Year!

Maggie