Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2014, 07:18 AM   #41
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Some small cars, such as the 2001 to 2005 Toyota Echo have good height which allows easier entry, but not so high as to impede it. I have had a '95 Echo since new, and am very pleased with how well it has held up both in terms of mechanicals and bodywork, not to mention it goes a long way on a gallon of gas.

On the other hand, my son had a 2000 Toyota Corolla, and in there, after struggling to get in, it felt like I was sitting on the pavement.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:11 PM   #42
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Okay, the car problem is solved.
Marie could not get in or out of the passenger seat of her nearly-new Focus (being a former Ford employee, I am partial to many products of Uncle Henry). It has too little leg room for someone not very limber, plus when sitting in it, you feel like your seat is in the street. The solution, after much searching and negotiating, was a new Impala. It is a much larger car, sits higher off the ground, and has much larger doors and front seating area. It is the sport model, and is bright red, so after she can drive again, people will be able to see her coming, and get out of her way. In the meantime, it gets 33 mpg on the road. She likes it, and I will put up with it as long as it makes Marie happy.
Her sister is visiting for the weekend, and gave me the afternoon "off" to get away. She took Marie to old Salem, and the oldest Moravian settlement in America while I was away.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good job, Terry.

Maggie
Old 10-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Terry the truck entry problem may be as simple as one of those small folding stools they sell at camping world. If she can make two or three small steps up into the seat instead of one big haul it should work.

After your accident didn't you use a ramp to get into the Airstream? If you still have it, Marie might be able to use that to make entry and exit safe and comfortable. And if you happen to be towing the Airstream, she could use that for the door there too.

Marie, I'm so glad you're home and recovering. What can we do to help you continue progressing? I'm going to need my skylight replaced before too much longer so I'll plan to come to your neck of the woods again soon. Let's do lunch!

Paula
Old 10-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #45
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
To everyone who has asked, I am doing very well. Able to lift left leg, when walking, not dragging it any more, and left arm and hand pretty much back to normal.

Any one who wants to stop by and see us/me are very welcome. We will not be able to travel for awhile due to home bound therapy, but would welcome others to stop.

I am very thankful for prayers and well wishes as they helped a lot.

Marie
Old 10-26-2014, 11:08 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
You are movin' right along, Marie.

I had told Terry that if you want to come to Alumalina in March, you can share my site as there is plenty of room.

Lots of folks there would love to see you both.

Take care, and keep the updates coming in. We like happy endings here.

Maggie
Old 10-26-2014, 12:02 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Holly Lake Ranch , Texas
Terry

When my mother with post polio syndrome was living with us I made a set of nesting boxes each about 4 inches higher than the previous one and these three made it easier for her to get in my Tundra, then I just tossed them in back of the pickup. They were more stable than stools

Dana

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:15 AM   #48
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Good morning.
We are heading back to the hospital this morning for her first follow-up visit after her release. Hopefully, everything will be okay.
Marie will actually get to ride in her new car...
Old 10-31-2014, 08:03 AM   #49
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
Advance , North Carolina
We hope all goes well with the first check up, Terry and Marie!
WBCCI #5027
TinCloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 05:14 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Terry & Marie,

How'd things go? Waiting for an update on Marie's progress.

Maggie
Old 10-31-2014, 06:12 PM   #51
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Marie & Terry,

Keep the good news coming. Wishing you guys the best.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:24 PM   #52
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Was out at ODM today and I looked for you, Terry...but now I see what you were doing. Hope all continues to go well for you two!
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:25 PM   #53
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
We learned two things today.
First, Marie is coming along pretty well. The doctor complimented her on her progress.

Second, she can't drive one of those handicapped scooters they have in Walmart to save her life. I think they're still cleaning up the carnage from her visit. I know my feet still hurt from where she ran over them...
Old 10-31-2014, 06:29 PM   #54
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Too funny! (Suggest steel toed boots....)
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 06:29 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
We learned two things today.
First, Marie is coming along pretty well. The doctor complimented her on her progress.

Second, she can't drive one of those handicapped scooters they have in Walmart to save her life. I think they're still cleaning up the carnage from her visit. I know my feet still hurt from where she ran over them...
Good to hear, Terry.

Always nice to see that great sense of humor shining through.

Hugs to you both.

Maggie
Old 11-01-2014, 07:33 AM   #56
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Too funny! (Suggest steel toed boots....)
I picked up a pair of steel-toed tennis shoes. My feet should be much safer, though they feel like I have a pair of cement blocks on the end of my feet.
Old 11-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #57
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Marie has been visited three times a week by the home physical therapy person since she has returned home. Today, when I got home, I handed her the cane I modified the other day, and she used that (with me at rear guard position) to walk around the inside of the house. She was pretty tired by the time we got done, but she did it.
The cane will be the preferred method of entering and leaving the house, as the steps leading up from ground level are, at best, not ADA complaint.
Old 11-07-2014, 10:02 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Marie has been visited three times a week by the home physical therapy person since she has returned home. Today, when I got home, I handed her the cane I modified the other day, and she used that (with me at rear guard position) to walk around the inside of the house. She was pretty tired by the time we got done, but she did it. The cane will be the preferred method of entering and leaving the house, as the steps leading up from ground level are, at best, not ADA complaint.
I stumbled across this thread, and it hits close to my heart. 15 years ago my wife had a rare blood disease known as TTP, and as a result she had a hemoragic stroke that left her paralyzed on her right side and she has very limited speech. All told she was in hospital, and two rehab facilities for 7 months. When I brought her home she was unable to walk hardly at all, and it looked as though life was going to be very difficult for us. Long story short she recovered enough that in November 2007 we bought our first Airstream a 1988 limited that I had to upgrade for her limitations, which included removing the gaucho and replacing it with a recliner for me and a lifting chair for her.
We sold our condo put our furniture into storage and October 2008 we headed out to see our wonderful country hoping to be able to stay on the road for 6 months. She came alive and was able to overcome all obstacles and we travelled for 2 years, 36 states. As for getting in and out of the truck we use a small step stool that with my help she can step up on it and then holding onto the door she transfers to the running board, and is able to sit on the seat where I lift her legs and get her the rest of the way onto the seat.
It sounds like your recovery is on a good track for both of you and I wish you lots of success!!! My advice is to get back to streaming it will make you stronger and happier

Regards,

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 10:33 PM   #59
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reganzo View Post
I stumbled across this thread, and it hits close to my heart. 15 years ago my wife had a rare blood disease known as TTP, and as a result she had a hemoragic stroke that left her paralyzed on her right side and she has very limited speech. All told she was in hospital, and two rehab facilities for 7 months. When I brought her home she was unable to walk hardly at all, and it looked as though life was going to be very difficult for us. Long story short she recovered enough that in November 2007 we bought our first Airstream a 1988 limited that I had to upgrade for her limitations, which included removing the gaucho and replacing it with a recliner for me and a lifting chair for her.
We sold our condo put our furniture into storage and October 2008 we headed out to see our wonderful country hoping to be able to stay on the road for 6 months. She came alive and was able to overcome all obstacles and we travelled for 2 years, 36 states. As for getting in and out of the truck we use a small step stool that with my help she can step up on it and then holding onto the door she transfers to the running board, and is able to sit on the seat where I lift her legs and get her the rest of the way onto the seat.
It sounds like your recovery is on a good track for both of you and I wish you lots of success!!! My advice is to get back to streaming it will make you stronger and happier

Regards,

Reganzo
Seriously awe inspiring.......I have no words....
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:30 AM   #60
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like Marie is coming right along, Terry.

Strength will come, as she is able to be up and moving more, but you may be chief cook and bottle washer for quite awhile.

I really admire anyone who is able to face such devastating physical challenges and overcome them, Reganzo, and those who have such good support in their partners are truly gifted.

Hugs to you both, Terry, and keep us posted.

Maggie