Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-07-2014, 07:10 PM   #57
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Marie has been visited three times a week by the home physical therapy person since she has returned home. Today, when I got home, I handed her the cane I modified the other day, and she used that (with me at rear guard position) to walk around the inside of the house. She was pretty tired by the time we got done, but she did it.
The cane will be the preferred method of entering and leaving the house, as the steps leading up from ground level are, at best, not ADA complaint.
__________________

__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:02 PM   #58
3 Rivet Member
 
Reganzo's Avatar
 
2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Marie has been visited three times a week by the home physical therapy person since she has returned home. Today, when I got home, I handed her the cane I modified the other day, and she used that (with me at rear guard position) to walk around the inside of the house. She was pretty tired by the time we got done, but she did it. The cane will be the preferred method of entering and leaving the house, as the steps leading up from ground level are, at best, not ADA complaint.
I stumbled across this thread, and it hits close to my heart. 15 years ago my wife had a rare blood disease known as TTP, and as a result she had a hemoragic stroke that left her paralyzed on her right side and she has very limited speech. All told she was in hospital, and two rehab facilities for 7 months. When I brought her home she was unable to walk hardly at all, and it looked as though life was going to be very difficult for us. Long story short she recovered enough that in November 2007 we bought our first Airstream a 1988 limited that I had to upgrade for her limitations, which included removing the gaucho and replacing it with a recliner for me and a lifting chair for her.
We sold our condo put our furniture into storage and October 2008 we headed out to see our wonderful country hoping to be able to stay on the road for 6 months. She came alive and was able to overcome all obstacles and we travelled for 2 years, 36 states. As for getting in and out of the truck we use a small step stool that with my help she can step up on it and then holding onto the door she transfers to the running board, and is able to sit on the seat where I lift her legs and get her the rest of the way onto the seat.
It sounds like your recovery is on a good track for both of you and I wish you lots of success!!! My advice is to get back to streaming it will make you stronger and happier


Regards,


Reganzo
__________________

__________________
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #59
Site Team
 
reinergirl's Avatar

 
1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,639
Images: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reganzo View Post
I stumbled across this thread, and it hits close to my heart. 15 years ago my wife had a rare blood disease known as TTP, and as a result she had a hemoragic stroke that left her paralyzed on her right side and she has very limited speech. All told she was in hospital, and two rehab facilities for 7 months. When I brought her home she was unable to walk hardly at all, and it looked as though life was going to be very difficult for us. Long story short she recovered enough that in November 2007 we bought our first Airstream a 1988 limited that I had to upgrade for her limitations, which included removing the gaucho and replacing it with a recliner for me and a lifting chair for her.
We sold our condo put our furniture into storage and October 2008 we headed out to see our wonderful country hoping to be able to stay on the road for 6 months. She came alive and was able to overcome all obstacles and we travelled for 2 years, 36 states. As for getting in and out of the truck we use a small step stool that with my help she can step up on it and then holding onto the door she transfers to the running board, and is able to sit on the seat where I lift her legs and get her the rest of the way onto the seat.
It sounds like your recovery is on a good track for both of you and I wish you lots of success!!! My advice is to get back to streaming it will make you stronger and happier


Regards,


Reganzo
Seriously awe inspiring.......I have no words....
__________________
Shelly : TAC NH-6 | AIR 41359
Visit my blog!
Parts needed : Braund Antenna front tube fold down model!
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:30 AM   #60
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13,569
Sounds like Marie is coming right along, Terry.

Strength will come, as she is able to be up and moving more, but you may be chief cook and bottle washer for quite awhile.

I really admire anyone who is able to face such devastating physical challenges and overcome them, Reganzo, and those who have such good support in their partners are truly gifted.

Hugs to you both, Terry, and keep us posted.


Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:36 AM   #61
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
I was in a not dissimilar position to where Marie is now, almost 8 years ago. I cringe to think were we would be now, if I had just accepted my circumstances and stayed in a wheelchair.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member
 
Reganzo's Avatar
 
2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 178
[QUOTE="Lily&Me;1536875"

Reganzo, and those who have such good support in their partners are truly gifted.

My wife through her struggles to recover has taught me how to be a better person. Franny wakes up every day with a smile on her face, and is ready to take on the days challenge with grace and dignity.

We both believe that Streaming together has given us our lives and freedom back...

I feel truly blessed that I've been given the strength to care for the love of my life...

Regards

Reganzo
__________________
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:22 PM   #63
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reganzo View Post

My wife through her struggles to recover has taught me how to be a better person. Franny wakes up every day with a smile on her face, and is ready to take on the days challenge with grace and dignity.

We both believe that Streaming together has given us our lives and freedom back...

I feel truly blessed that I've been given the strength to care for the love of my life...

Regards

Reganzo
I have learned to give our loved ones a hug and (at least the human family members) a kiss, and tell them we love them every day.
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:26 PM   #64
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
Marie was able to accomplish another milestone today. I took her and my brother to our local warehouse club, and she was able to walk from the car into the store, using only her cane. I was less than a foot away from her at all times, just in case, but I was not needed. Of course, now she is whupped, and will spend the rest of the evening in her recliner.
She did get to ride in her new car again today...
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 05:27 PM   #65
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I have learned to give our loved ones a hug and (at least the human family members) a kiss, and tell them we love them every day.
Yes.

It cannot be done too soon, because you never know when it might be too late.

Hugs,


Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:12 PM   #66
Slide Out Society #001
 
GCinSC2's Avatar
 
2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,054
Marie, you go girl!
__________________
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:53 AM   #67
Rivet Master
 
Lily&Me's Avatar

 
2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 13,569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reganzo View Post
I feel truly blessed that I've been given the strength to care for the love of my life...

Regards

Reganzo

Caring for our loved ones, and being there for them during their most vulnerable times, is part of the human experience and the relationships we cherish, if we are fortunate enough to have those.

Doug and I used to say we took turns.

Caregiving isn't something we ask for or seek out, just ...one day...it is there, and becomes the ultimate act of love and comittment.


Maggie
__________________
🏡 🚐 Cherish and appreciate those you love. This moment could be your last.🌹🐚❤️
Lily&Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:41 AM   #68
Well Preserved

 
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 20,193
There is no more helpless feeling than to watch a loved one suffer, and know there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.
Luckily, I am watching Marie improve nearly daily. This is good for us, as well as the stock people at Walmart...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	226061  
__________________
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
Terry
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 01:48 PM   #69
Rivet Master
 
Foiled Again's Avatar
 
2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 5,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
There is no more helpless feeling than to watch a loved one suffer, and know there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.
Luckily, I am watching Marie improve nearly daily. This is good for us, as well as the stock people at Walmart...
You are BAD Terry! Earthquake Marie? Watch out, she's got a cane and isn't going to be afraid to use it!

Paula
__________________
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 07:32 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member
 
Reganzo's Avatar
 
2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
There is no more helpless feeling than to watch a loved one suffer, and know there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Luckily, I am watching Marie improve nearly daily. This is good for us, as well as the stock people at Walmart...
In my experience as care giver I found that having a good sense of humor will help you and your wife deal with her recovery, and all that may be ahead for both of you. I read my wife your post and showed her the photo and she cracked up laughing !!!

Regards

Reganzo
__________________

__________________
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
A New Challenge-1963 Overlander rehab project overlander63 1960 - 1964 Overlander 896 04-07-2017 05:48 PM
Anyone up to the challenge? Warbs General Motorhome Topics 8 01-12-2007 01:53 PM
Deck the Halls - challenge! Janet H Our Community 3 12-20-2003 01:02 PM
An ID challenge afrangos Airstream Motorhome Forums 13 07-14-2003 06:40 AM
take the VIN# challenge femuse Our Community 1 03-17-2003 02:18 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.