Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2014, 05:36 AM   #61
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I was in a not dissimilar position to where Marie is now, almost 8 years ago. I cringe to think were we would be now, if I had just accepted my circumstances and stayed in a wheelchair.
Old 11-08-2014, 12:20 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
[QUOTE="Lily&Me;1536875"

Reganzo, and those who have such good support in their partners are truly gifted.

My wife through her struggles to recover has taught me how to be a better person. Franny wakes up every day with a smile on her face, and is ready to take on the days challenge with grace and dignity.

We both believe that Streaming together has given us our lives and freedom back...

I feel truly blessed that I've been given the strength to care for the love of my life...

Regards

Reganzo
Reganzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 04:22 PM   #63
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reganzo View Post

My wife through her struggles to recover has taught me how to be a better person. Franny wakes up every day with a smile on her face, and is ready to take on the days challenge with grace and dignity.

We both believe that Streaming together has given us our lives and freedom back...

I feel truly blessed that I've been given the strength to care for the love of my life...

Regards

Reganzo
I have learned to give our loved ones a hug and (at least the human family members) a kiss, and tell them we love them every day.
Old 11-08-2014, 04:26 PM   #64
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Marie was able to accomplish another milestone today. I took her and my brother to our local warehouse club, and she was able to walk from the car into the store, using only her cane. I was less than a foot away from her at all times, just in case, but I was not needed. Of course, now she is whupped, and will spend the rest of the evening in her recliner.
She did get to ride in her new car again today...
Old 11-08-2014, 04:27 PM   #65
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
I have learned to give our loved ones a hug and (at least the human family members) a kiss, and tell them we love them every day.
Yes.

It cannot be done too soon, because you never know when it might be too late.

Hugs,

Maggie
Old 11-08-2014, 06:12 PM   #66
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Marie, you go girl!
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 05:53 AM   #67
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:

Regards

Reganzo

Caring for our loved ones, and being there for them during their most vulnerable times, is part of the human experience and the relationships we cherish, if we are fortunate enough to have those.

Doug and I used to say we took turns.

Caregiving isn't something we ask for or seek out, just ...one day...it is there, and becomes the ultimate act of love and comittment.

Maggie
Old 11-09-2014, 07:41 AM   #68
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There is no more helpless feeling than to watch a loved one suffer, and know there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.
Luckily, I am watching Marie improve nearly daily. This is good for us, as well as the stock people at Walmart...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	226061  
Old 11-09-2014, 12:48 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
There is no more helpless feeling than to watch a loved one suffer, and know there is absolutely nothing you can do about it.
Luckily, I am watching Marie improve nearly daily. This is good for us, as well as the stock people at Walmart...
You are BAD Terry! Earthquake Marie? Watch out, she's got a cane and isn't going to be afraid to use it!

Paula
Old 11-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Quote:
There is no more helpless feeling than to watch a loved one suffer, and know there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Luckily, I am watching Marie improve nearly daily. This is good for us, as well as the stock people at Walmart...
In my experience as care giver I found that having a good sense of humor will help you and your wife deal with her recovery, and all that may be ahead for both of you. I read my wife your post and showed her the photo and she cracked up laughing !!!

Regards

Reganzo
Old 11-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Terry, A word of advise. Be careful of what you do or say from here on out. You'll be surprized what a cane can do when giving a loved one some lip. My mother used a yard stick when chasing me. You know.. it's hard to run while laughing. Silver therapy is the best therapy.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2014, 08:13 PM   #72
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
In my experience as care giver I found that having a good sense of humor will help you and your wife deal with her recovery, and all that may be ahead for both of you. I read my wife your post and showed her the photo and she cracked up laughing !!!

Regards

Reganzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Terry, A word of advise. Be careful of what you do or say from here on out. You'll be surprized what a cane can do when giving a loved one some lip. My mother used a yard stick when chasing me. You know.. it's hard to run while laughing. Silver therapy is the best therapy.
I really don't want my eulogy to be "He was a brave man, but a stupid man. At least he died laughing!"
Old 11-11-2014, 06:04 AM   #73
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
So encouraging to hear of Marie's good progress, Terry.

Finding humor in the darkest days helps lift us out of them.

Hugs to you both, and keep us posted.

Maggie
Old 11-16-2014, 07:20 AM   #74
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Good morning.
Friday marked the tenth and last visit of the "house call" physical therapy person. Marie could use more visits, but ten is all the insurance company says she needs.
She is moving around the house using her cane during the day, and for the most part is doing fairly well with it. Night time, or when she is tired, she still has to use her walker.
Of course, in the grand tradition of. Murphy's Law, as I was typing this, I was interrupted by Marie letting out a rather undignified squawk, and an urgent request for assistance. She was carrying a covered mug of hot coffee to the living room, and managed to dump it all over the floor, a bunch of important papers, her laptop, cell phone, and some other stuff that had the misfortune to be within the blast zone. At least she didn't dump it on herself or Sophie.
The good news is, the floor doesn't need to be mopped now...
Old 11-16-2014, 07:49 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Gaining strength is a process, not an event, so don't forget that.

PT probably left Marie exercises to do on her own, which she should diligently comply with, as it will make all the difference in her recovery.

Glad to hear she is coming along.

Hugs to you both.

Maggie
Old 11-16-2014, 10:06 PM   #76
3 Rivet Member

2006 34' Classic S/O
Lakewood , New Jersey
Quote:
Good morning. Friday marked the tenth and last visit of the "house call" physical therapy person. Marie could use more visits, but ten is all the insurance company says she needs.

My wife's policy allowed for a specified amount of home therapy per benefit year. This reset each year, so possibly with the end of this year come January your wife might be eligible for another ten visits, might be worthwhile to call your case worker.

Regards

Reganzo
Old 11-22-2014, 04:35 PM   #77
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Good evening. I thought I'd give an update on how Marie is doing. Over the past week, she has undergone two sleep studies for her problem of stopping breathing when she goes to sleep. The first sleep study showed she stopped breathing up to 27 times in a single hour. Her return visit was with a CPAP machine, and she did much better. In fact, the only problem was with the machine keeping track of her. Now comes the next hurdle, which is getting the insurance company to authorize one of these pieces of equipment for use at home.
Today we made a trip to our local discount retail emporium, and she managed to only knock down a single display. This was a vast improvement, though I am still having to perform evasive maneuvers when I am nearby.
She also went to see the doctor for a follow-up visit, and he was impressed with how much she has recovered. Hopefully, this trend will continue for a long time.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:41 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Sounds like things are moving well along, Terry.

Thanks for the update, and hugs to you and Marie.

Maggie
Old 12-02-2014, 05:28 AM   #79
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I thought it would be a good thing to post an update on Marie.
We had a good Thanksgiving, and Marie thought it would be good to visit her sister in Asheville for the weekend. We loaded up Sophie and Marie, and drove several hours to get there. Along the way, Sophie got carsick, and Marie discovered something she ate for Thanksgiving didn't agree with her.
So, we arrived in Asheville with the inside of the car smelling like dog puke, and other things. But we arrived.
Marie's sister insisted on dragging her to several stores on Friday and Saturday, even though her sister was also under the weather.
We returned Sunday afternoon, I did several days' worth of housework in a few hours, and Marie crashed in her recliner for the next two days. She now admits maybe traveling, at least for the near future, may not be something she does.
Old 12-02-2014, 05:44 AM   #80
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Still a learning curve.

XO Maggie