Old 10-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #29
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Terry just remember - feeding Marie 3 mudslides and then asking her to do her rehab exercises is NOT considered funny. Of course neither is drinking three yourself and demonstrating how unsteady on your feet you can become.

Think of poor Sophie trying to get out of your way.

Marie, I'm so glad you're getting a little more strength back in your leg every day. Keep up the good work and look forward to some serious Rallying before too long.

Love to both of you, Paula

Old 10-19-2014, 03:30 PM   #30
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Marie is making progress almost daily.
We have encountered a stumbling block--her insurance company. She needs some items for her use at home, in order for her to be safer here. Things an insurance company should normally provide, either through purchase or renting them. Things like a leg brace, shower chair, and a toilet adapter. The insurance company says she hasn't met her deductible yet, and refuses to authorize those things. I'll let everybody ponder that quietly...

After an ambulance ride to the ER, staying in the ER all day, then staying in the hospital for 20 days, so far, she hasn't met her deductible... I guess she is about the only person in this country with a quarter million dollar deductible.

Old 10-19-2014, 03:48 PM   #31
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Terry & Marie,

I just found this thread, glad to hear the progress and seeing some good spirits in yours and Marie's comments.

Wishing the very best to all.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2014, 04:28 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
Marie is making progress almost daily.
We have encountered a stumbling block--her insurance company. She needs some items for her use at home, in order for her to be safer here. Things an insurance company should normally provide, either through purchase or renting them. Things like a leg brace, shower chair, and a toilet adapter. The insurance company says she hasn't met her deductible yet, and refuses to authorize those things. I'll let everybody ponder that quietly...

After an ambulance ride to the ER, staying in the ER all day, then staying in the hospital for 20 days, so far, she hasn't met her deductible... I guess she is about the only person in this country with a quarter million dollar deductible.
Have them give you a denial in writing, Terry, and there will be instructions for appealing.

If those items are needed for her to be safely cared for at home, certainly cheaper than a hospital or nursing home, they would seem necessary to me.

Might also find you could rent them yourself, while dealing with the insurance company, or that there is someplace that provides them secondhand. Whoever is coordinating her discharge from the hospital may be able to help you with that.

Thanks for the update. Hugs to you both.

Maggie
Old 10-19-2014, 04:55 PM   #33
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lily&Me View Post
Have them give you a denial in writing, Terry, and there will be instructions for appealing.

If those items are needed for her to be safely cared for at home, certainly cheaper than a hospital or nursing home, they would seem necessary to me.

Might also find you could rent them yourself, while dealing with the insurance company, or that there is someplace that provides them secondhand. Whoever is coordinating her discharge from the hospital may be able to help you with that.

Thanks for the update. Hugs to you both.

Maggie
I am already on it. I picked up the shower chair and bedside commode from a consignment shop yesterday, and one of my friends is coming over tomorrow evening to install the grab bar in the shower.
I'm still trying to understand their reasoning behind saying she hasn't met her deductible yet. Not only has she met her deductible, she also met her out-of-pocket expenses at the 20% annual patient-pay portion of her insurance on her first day here. Sounds like a stalling tactic.
At any rate, we are moving forward, and planning on her discharge from the hospital Wednesday.
Old 10-21-2014, 07:26 AM   #34
Airstreaming Pagey

2015 31' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Glad Marie gets to come home. Yay!

May your days be filled with love and laughter.
Pagey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 08:01 AM   #35
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Good to hear that Marie is getting better, Terry. She'll be back on the dance floor and soccer pitch before you know it!
Old 10-22-2014, 12:07 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Terry, could Marie use a walker with a seat & hand brakes? I have one, barely used that I'll be glad to give her.

Paula
Old 10-22-2014, 08:34 PM   #37
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Terry, could Marie use a walker with a seat & hand brakes? I have one, barely used that I'll be glad to give her.

Paula
Thanks for the offer, but she says she won't need it. She also doesn't need, nor can she even use, the wheelchair they insisted we rent and take with us.
Marie is now home, and resting comfortably in bed.
I'm taking a couple of days off from work, and making sure she can get around the house without anything getting in her way. Also, to make sure she doesn't try anything stoopid because she isn't as well as she thinks she is.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:08 AM   #38
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good to hear, Terry! Sounds like she is doing really well.

Give Marie a hug for me, and tell her good job.

Maggie
Old 10-25-2014, 07:31 AM   #39
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Good morning.
Marie has had visits from home nurse and homebound PT person. They both say she's doing remarkably well.
I have rearranged the furniture in the house to minimize any potential issues with her moving around, and she has discovered my recliner is not the easiest thing to climb out of. So, there is now a slightly used recliner in the living room, and as soon as my brother shows up, the old recliner is going into the attic.
Issues with her health insurance company are slowly either getting resolved, or they are resigning themselves to the fact they are going to have to pay for most of her care.
We've also discovered she can't easily get in and out of her car, and climbing up into my truck is something I should video and post on Youtube... We're going to be working on that as time and resources allow.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:42 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Good to hear, Terry.

Marie's PT, or maybe an OT, should be able to help with anything adaptive....physical or structural....needed to get in and out of the car.

Pickup trucks are hard to get in and out of on a good day, IMO. You may need to just get behind her and give a hoist.

Sounds like everything is coming along nicely.

XO Maggie
Old 10-25-2014, 08:18 AM   #41
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Some small cars, such as the 2001 to 2005 Toyota Echo have good height which allows easier entry, but not so high as to impede it. I have had a '95 Echo since new, and am very pleased with how well it has held up both in terms of mechanicals and bodywork, not to mention it goes a long way on a gallon of gas.

On the other hand, my son had a 2000 Toyota Corolla, and in there, after struggling to get in, it felt like I was sitting on the pavement.
Old 10-25-2014, 05:11 PM   #42
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Okay, the car problem is solved.
Marie could not get in or out of the passenger seat of her nearly-new Focus (being a former Ford employee, I am partial to many products of Uncle Henry). It has too little leg room for someone not very limber, plus when sitting in it, you feel like your seat is in the street. The solution, after much searching and negotiating, was a new Impala. It is a much larger car, sits higher off the ground, and has much larger doors and front seating area. It is the sport model, and is bright red, so after she can drive again, people will be able to see her coming, and get out of her way. In the meantime, it gets 33 mpg on the road. She likes it, and I will put up with it as long as it makes Marie happy.
Her sister is visiting for the weekend, and gave me the afternoon "off" to get away. She took Marie to old Salem, and the oldest Moravian settlement in America while I was away.