Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-29-2012, 03:02 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndfoster View Post
When you go camping looking for peace and quite and their is more dogs in the camp ground than campers. Feel like I 'am at your local dog pound.
I think I have been to that campground, being very carefull where I step. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 03:52 AM   #62
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by colberjs View Post
That's one reason I love driving a 3/4 ton crew cab diesel. I don't intentionally bully anyone but I definitely stand my ground on the road.

I really like when people don't understand the sign that says lane ends and think whatever lane they are in is the correct lane. I always move to the lane that does not end (usually the right lane) and maintain my speed. It is their job to merge not mine to make sure they have a place to go. I've had people nearly run up onto the median before they slow down or still speed up to get by me.
I fail to understand why so many drivers have trouble understanding the concept; unless there are signs or traffic lights to the contrary, the person who is already in a lane has the right of way over anybody trying to merge into the lane, cross the lane, or use the lane to pass.

The problem with driving defensively is that, while you personally may avoid accidents, all of the bad drivers on the road are empowered to keep driving badly, because defensive drivers will get out of their way.
Old 09-29-2012, 12:15 PM   #63
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The problem with driving defensively is that, while you personally may avoid accidents, all of the bad drivers on the road are empowered to keep driving badly, because defensive drivers will get out of their way.
I think that is an excellent point, and, perhaps unfortunately, it still makes sense to get out of the way. If you could have, and didn't, you may be found partially responsible for an accident, and even, worse, have messed up vehicles and worse.

I rarely see people pulled over for bad driving, perhaps because speeding is such an easy ticket.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:40 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Non Illigitimus Carborundum!
Old 09-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #65

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I think that is an excellent point, and, perhaps unfortunately, it still makes sense to get out of the way. If you could have, and didn't, you may be found partially responsible for an accident, and even, worse, have messed up vehicles and worse.
Such as, the person who hit you is uninsured.
Old 09-29-2012, 04:22 PM   #66
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by doug&maggie View Post
People who consume freely at potlucks but don't bring anything to share----minus a legitimate reason such as illness, a broken limb, heart attack, trailer breakdown, etc.

Maggie
Hi Maggie,

Boy, you're bang on with that one. It's not only the cheapees/lazees/I could care less bunch - but it's the way the food is presented. Tends to kill the appetite when they plunk it in faded, stained, Tupperware or a greasy tin-foil pan.

It also bugs me when the dishes are not labelled. A culinary minefield for those with certain allergies or dietary needs. Or, you end up with something on your plate you don't like which is maddening when there are a variety of choices.

Potlucks need some organization or else you end could up with twenty potato salads....and nothing else. This is probably not the case at most Airstream rallies, but I have seen it happen with smaller organizations.

I have been accused of "over-doing" it with my contribution, but I just cannot do it any other way. It's part of my business - special-events. If I cannot make it "special," I am not happy.

Old 09-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #67
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Can you mail me one of those?
Better courier it as the mail is a tad slow.
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
- If I cannot make it "special," I am not happy.

masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #68
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Shaken, not stirred

massey, I'll deliver my grape and wine jelly terrine in person. You're in luck - the shocks on the truck are going. It could go something like this....

Old 09-29-2012, 05:19 PM   #69

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night View Post
It also bugs me when the dishes are not labelled. A culinary minefield for those with certain allergies or dietary needs.
I'll second this one! I'm a diabetic, and I have to dial in my pre-meal insulin pen dose based on (1) what my blood glucose is at the time, and (2) how many grams of carbohydrate I expect to consume. If I guess wrong on the carbs, I might win a trip to the emergency room, and that would spoil everyone's fun.
Old 09-29-2012, 05:28 PM   #70
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I think now days, there are more reasons to flip someone off than to smile at them.
Yes thats true, but I have decided to quit flipping off idiots because nowdays there is a good chance they will be pointing something other than their finger at you.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
Terry....Was that YOU? !!!!
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #72
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I once went to a potluck where everyone brought a desert. It was fun for a while, but then it started making me (and others) feel not so good. That was 35 years ago and I had a steel stomach then; now it would kill me and I'm not a diabetic.

But I do have dietary requirements and have to avoid things where I can't tell what is in them. I also avoid things that are fatty and sugary. Where we live, a lot of people think marshmallows are one of the basic food groups. So I eat some good food before we go so I won't starve and hope for the best at the potluck. It used to be everyone ate the same stuff, but now we have diabetics, vegetarians, vegans, gluten free, and so on.

Labels would be great and some people bring them but I have seen few potlucks where it is done for all the food. I don't much like potlucks because of poor food, moochers (a bag of chips and some canned salsa is not a great contribution), unknown contents, and difficulty in getting a balanced, healthy meal. I know some people don't have time or are awful at preparing food, so if they don't bring anything on occasion, ok, but not all the time. A few beers make it all look better, though. A few beers also can make me say what I really think (i.e., don't ask me what I thought of your potato chip and marshmallow casserole with fake whipped cream on top, or I'll tell you).

Gene
Old 09-30-2012, 04:24 AM   #73

2012 Interstate Coach
It may seem weird, but given my dietary needs, if I don't know what people are bringing, I'll brown-bag to a potluck, so I can eat with everybody but not have to trust food I don't know OR inflict my dietary restrictions on other people.

Besides, it keeps me from being a mooch.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:46 AM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
When drivers in the far left lane carelessly veer right, cut you off and get off at the right ramp you are already passing while you are towing.
Old 09-30-2012, 06:37 AM   #75
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
2. Customers who leave their vehicle pumpside and do a little shopping, especially when I am towing my Airstream.
Sign posted on the gas pump:
"DO NOT MOVE YOUR VEHICLE UNTIL YOU PAY FOR YOUR FUEL"
So, you get in line and wait for 20 minutes to pay, and the guy behind you at the pump is ready to strangle you.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:57 AM   #76
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by StreamNTyme View Post
When drivers in the far left lane carelessly veer right, cut you off and get off at the right ramp you are already passing while you are towing.
On our recent trip most of our travel was on interstates. It was extremely common for passing vehicles to pull back in front of us so close that we could not possibly have avoided hitting them had something caused them suddenly slow. That is not just annoying but is extremely dangerous. It is just one of many things happening more and more frequently that demonstrate what a large percentage of our population goes through life either totally oblivious of, or uncaring about, the effect their actions have on others around them. It makes me more sad than angry.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 11:12 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
It may seem weird, but given my dietary needs, if I don't know what people are bringing, I'll brown-bag to a potluck, so I can eat with everybody but not have to trust food I don't know OR inflict my dietary restrictions on other people.

Besides, it keeps me from being a mooch.
You wrote one important word - "trust." You can add "liability" to that.

All a club, association, or non-profit organization needs is a lawsuit arising from contaminated food. It is difficult to secure insurance for that "what if?" risk. For those reasons, I have advised several organizations not to host a potluck - or seek other options. Many local governments are also cracking down on events involving food not prepared in a commercial kitchen.

I'm not trying to be a party pooper or ruin tradition, but all you need is one bad dish affecting dozens, and those traditions will be spoiled for all forever.

So, what are those options:

- Gene mentioned a dessert potluck. There is little risk of food contamination with baked goods. Make sure there are sugar/gluten-free alternatives and a big fruit tray. I have organized a couple dessert potlucks. One was for a flying club. We had so much left over - it was donated to our airport neighbours: flying schools, maintenance, a company building jet simulators etc. I delivered the left-overs from another one to a soup kitchen. It was gratefully received and enjoyed by many. When organizing an event for the privileged (and Airstreamers are indeed privileged) it's nice to share with those who are not.

- focus on one low-risk foodstuff. KISS or "keep-it-simple stoopid."
Have everyone bring a baked potato and one fixing - chives, bacon bits, a can of chili, etc. to contribute to the fixings station. If you want to do the glamping thing, how about a mashtini bar? A big pan of mashed potatoes with fixings served in a martini glass. For a large group or event in the boonies, get the plastic glasses at a party-rental store beforehand. (These things go better when there is one person in charge to attend to these details).

- have everyone donate monetarily to the pot and have take-out delivered or picked-up. A Chinese food feast, pizza, whatever.

- people eat with their eyes. Do a really good presentation!

Sorry for getting carried away (again) but it doesn't take much to get my gears in full event mode.

Mashtini with cream-cheese, butter, and dill "olive." These are soooooooo good!
Old 09-30-2012, 11:54 AM   #78
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I have never gotten sick from a potluck, but I have from restaurants with supposedly clean, Health Dep't approved kitchens. But outdoor potlucks have some dangers—potato salad or other dishes with eggs, mayo and other items that deteriorate quickly in the sun. Chicken also goes bad fast (a chicken sandwich box lunch when I was a kid has not been forgotten, or actually the results of chicken gone bad have not been forgotten).

So, I suppose potluck food is prepared by people who have a higher regard for cleanliness than some people who work in restaurants. That's not foolproof, however.

And a thought about words—I don't have dietary restrictions. I have dietary choices. I choose not to eat processed foods, meat and things that spoil quickly. I am much healthier than my parents who didn't choose my way. They lived a long time, but they didn't have the quality of life I do. Now if I didn't eat so much of that healthy food, that would be good, especially those baked goods that don't spoil and taste so yummy. Though I read chocolate is good for you.

Gene
Old 09-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #79
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
With all the complaints about the RV fridges not keeping cool in the heat, I am not sure pot luck is the way to go.

I like to get together and chat, but good old (Canadian) beer is all one really needs for that.

However, after that I will eat anything.

Dave
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, one thing about potlucks, that I feel is different from a lot of restaurants, is the fact that the cooks eat what they make. [and give it to their own family members] And if the makers don't get sick, you shouldn't either. I like to pick simple looking food items and try to stay away from hot spicy things. I will ask people if this is hot or spicy so I don't put anything on my plate and have to trash it, especially if the person who made it is sitting right next to me.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote