Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2012, 07:31 PM   #101
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumatic View Post
So how's this for annoying? You are on an interstate. The traffic is at a complete standstill. You are getting off at the next exit which is a couple of hundred yards down the road but someone has decided to play traffic cop and has the shoulder blocked off.
I don't think he is playing traffic cop, I think he has to pee and has waited as long as he can. If that's not the case look at it as a chance to practice the important virtue of patience.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #102
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
When pulling into a parking place and finding that someone left a shopping cart in that space and the cart return is only a few steps away.

A couple of weeks ago that happened to us, but there was a cold case of Alaskan Amber on the bottom shelf of the cart. If that person had taken the time to return the cart to the proper place, they would no doubt have noticed they had not unloaded that case of Alaskan Amber.

I have one bottle left.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:49 PM   #103
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Ken, you are overlooking the average socio-cultural demographics within the geographical driving matrix.

Speaking as an ex NYC gypsy cabbie, patient drivers are at the top of the annoying list. Not to mention downright dangerous.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:55 PM   #104
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The history of "The Bird"

Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible for the English soldiers to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore incapable of fighting in the future. The famous bow was made of the English Yew tree and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" or "pluck you". Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won the battle and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French and saying "We can still pluck yew. Pluck you". Since "pluck yew" is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodental fricative 'F' and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger salute. It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird". And yew thought that yew knew everything.
Old 10-01-2012, 08:18 PM   #105
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Ken, you are overlooking the average socio-cultural demographics within the geographical driving matrix.

I know, I tend to do that.. You wouldn't believe how many times I been told that.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 08:39 PM   #106
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
I never liked history when I was in school.

But these tidbits are fascinating.

Dave

Quote:
Before the Battle of Agincourt in 1415, the French, anticipating victory over the English, proposed to cut off the middle finger of all captured soldiers. Without the middle finger it would be impossible for the English soldiers to draw the renowned English longbow and therefore incapable of fighting in the future. The famous bow was made of the English Yew tree and the act of drawing the longbow was known as "plucking the yew" or "pluck you". Much to the bewilderment of the French, the English won the battle and began mocking the French by waving their middle fingers at the defeated French and saying "We can still pluck yew. Pluck you". Since "pluck yew" is rather difficult to say, the difficult consonant cluster at the beginning has gradually changed to a labiodental fricative 'F' and thus the words often used in conjunction with the one-finger salute. It is also because of the pheasant feathers on the arrows used with the longbow that the symbolic gesture is known as "giving the bird". And yew thought that yew knew everything.
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 07:57 AM   #107
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
When pulling into a parking place and finding that someone left a shopping cart in that space and the cart return is only a few steps away.
After I had foot surgery that got infected, and was hobbling around on crutches; could still drive (it was the left foot that was bandaged). Pulled into the Walmart parking lot, in the handicapped space that I was now entitled to use due to my podiatrist signing the paperwork to have the DMV issue me a handicapped tag. Got my precriptions filled, then I'm headed back out to the car. In December. In an icy-cold rainstorm. With no umbrella because I had to use both hands on the crutches. Only to find that some numbskull had parked an ENTIRE ROW of surplus shopping carts (they had stocked up on extras for holiday shoppers) right next to my car door in that conveniently-vacant blue-striped access space! I had to hobble back inside, find a manager, who had to find said numbskull and tell him to go out and put the carts where they belonged. The manager was apologetic, but not apologetic enough to go out and get cold and wet himself to move the carts. The numbskull was surly and not the least bit grateful for the learning experience about customer service.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:06 AM   #108

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Close, but no cigar. According to military historian John Bloodworth, it wasn't the middle finger, it was index and middle fingers in danger of amputation. Which gave rise to the British version of the bird, two fingers upraised in a "V", but with the back of the hand facing the enemy. And no "pluck yew." At that point in time, the "F" word was already in common use, with the same rude meaning it has today. Still, your version does have a certain poetry to it.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #109
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The manager was apologetic, but not apologetic enough to go out and get cold and wet himself to move the carts.
Sorry to hear you wet yourself.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 AM   #110

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Sorry to hear you wet yourself.

Gene
Cute. You know that's not what I meant. See how important punctuation is? I meant to write, to "get cold and wet, himself."
Old 10-02-2012, 08:38 AM   #111
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Close, but no cigar. According to military historian John Bloodworth, it wasn't the middle finger, it was index and middle fingers in danger of amputation. Which gave rise to the British version of the bird, two fingers upraised in a "V", but with the back of the hand facing the enemy...

Yep, the Longbowman Salute. It still does the job and has a certain historical nuance. Whilst being expressive, it never hurts to enlighten them. Maybe I'll recommend this important historical symbol to the moderators as another emoticon.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f161...ml#post1209000
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Longbowman Salute.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	169389  
Attached Images

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 10:34 AM   #112
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist

After I had foot surgery that got infected, and was hobbling around on crutches; could still drive (it was the left foot that was bandaged). Pulled into the Walmart parking lot, in the handicapped space that I was now entitled to use due to my podiatrist signing the paperwork to have the DMV issue me a handicapped tag. Got my precriptions filled, then I'm headed back out to the car. In December. In an icy-cold rainstorm. With no umbrella because I had to use both hands on the crutches. Only to find that some numbskull had parked an ENTIRE ROW of surplus shopping carts (they had stocked up on extras for holiday shoppers) right next to my car door in that conveniently-vacant blue-striped access space! I had to hobble back inside, find a manager, who had to find said numbskull and tell him to go out and put the carts where they belonged. The manager was apologetic, but not apologetic enough to go out and get cold and wet himself to move the carts. The numbskull was surly and not the least bit grateful for the learning experience about customer service.
No beer left in the carts? Too bad. I would share my last one with you except it is scheduled for consumption at lunch today.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote