Old 09-30-2012, 10:25 PM   #85
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I for one am not worried about tainted food at a potluck. I'm more concerned about the carbohydrate content of what I eat. I've had a severe blood glucose spike from eating a potluck stew made with red wine gravy; the alcohol added way more carbs than I expected from a stew. Tasted fine, didn't make me sick, but a blood sugar spike over 400 (and that's even after I took three EXTRA units of insulin before the meal) sure didn't do me any favors.

People who aren't diabetic just don't understand, and they shouldn't HAVE to understand. It's up to ME to make sure that what I eat is safe for me. So, if you see me eyeing the offerings at a potluck, then going back to my campsite to get my own dinner, please don't get offended; I'm just looking out for my health.

WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #86
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly at Night
Someone PM'd me, asking if I have any intent on organizing a rally. I told him I may, but I would like to attend a rally first. On second thought, I don't see any reason why I would have to attend anyone else's rally. My expectations would be high - I may be disappointed (Alumapalooza excepted).
The biggest thing to expect and enjoy at a rally, IMO, is the opportunity to meet and get to know fellow travelers.

I'm sure any rally you put together would unique, FAN, but don't set the bar so high and be so focused on perfection that you set yourself up for disappointment and therefore can't enjoy the wealth of diversity in humanity out there.

Just sayin'.........

Back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Maggie

Old 10-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #87
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
I find it annoying that so many wrong thinking people are stupid enough to be annoyed by some of my habits. What's up anyway?

Ken
Old 10-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #88
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I know exactly what you are talking about. This is one of the things I hate about camping on a busy weekend when the weather is perfect. All the tent campers come out and let their dogs bark 24/7. I wish they had dog free parks on days like that.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndfoster View Post
When you go camping looking for peace and quite and their is more dogs in the camp ground than campers. Feel like I 'am at your local dog pound.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #89
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
You just described why Americans are so fat. Southerners are real bad about this. You go to a potluck and what few sides there are are gone in 5 mins because everyone brought some sort of junk/dessert food.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
I once went to a potluck where everyone brought a desert. It was fun for a while, but then it started making me (and others) feel not so good. That was 35 years ago and I had a steel stomach then; now it would kill me and I'm not a diabetic.

But I do have dietary requirements and have to avoid things where I can't tell what is in them. I also avoid things that are fatty and sugary. Where we live, a lot of people think marshmallows are one of the basic food groups. So I eat some good food before we go so I won't starve and hope for the best at the potluck. It used to be everyone ate the same stuff, but now we have diabetics, vegetarians, vegans, gluten free, and so on.

Labels would be great and some people bring them but I have seen few potlucks where it is done for all the food. I don't much like potlucks because of poor food, moochers (a bag of chips and some canned salsa is not a great contribution), unknown contents, and difficulty in getting a balanced, healthy meal. I know some people don't have time or are awful at preparing food, so if they don't bring anything on occasion, ok, but not all the time. A few beers make it all look better, though. A few beers also can make me say what I really think (i.e., don't ask me what I thought of your potato chip and marshmallow casserole with fake whipped cream on top, or I'll tell you).

Gene
Old 10-01-2012, 11:31 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
You just described why Americans are so fat. Southerners are real bad about this. You go to a potluck and what few sides there are are gone in 5 mins because everyone brought some sort of junk/dessert food.

Perry
First of all if you are annoyed by unsolicited sermons, you may wish to bypass this post.

IMO, the reason so many Americans are overweight is because there is a concerted effort by American food producers to keep us all addicted to sugar. Believe me it is an addiction. About 4 years ago, I decided that I was not going to be a slave to a substance I do not need in any quantities other that that found naturally in foods. I was amazed at what extent that sugar is present in prepared foods. My first shock was that my supposed healthy breakfast cereal had sugar present in large amounts. It is nearly impossible to avoid entirely, but a large drop in sugar intake is possible with diligence and perseverance. It requires reading the labels on everything you buy. It is necessary to make a lot of things, you would normally buy prepared, from scratch. That includes breakfast cereal. I was able to find only one that had zero added sugar. That makes a monotonous diet, so I make my own from bulk products. It took weeks before I stumbled upon a pasta sauce without added sugar. Recently there is an effort by the foods and sugar industry to disguise sugar by giving it fancy names. Crystallized evaporated cane juice comes to mind, but there are many others, including referring to it by one of its many chemical names.

Even if you do not feel like going to the extreme that I have, I would recommend that everyone read at least some of the labels on packaged foods when you are shopping. It is very startling.

end of lecture.

Ken

PS - the end result of all this is; I can now look at candy and deserts and think that they look like they would probably taste great, but feel no compulsion to buy them. I have also found I can eat the occasional desert or rich food when we eat out. If done infrequently, I can still enjoy those things without reverting to my previous lust for sugar.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Perry,

When we go east or to most rural areas, we see a big difference, literally, in the number of overweight and obese people. Surveys always show Colorado as the healthiest or one of the healthiest states and W. Va. and Miss. as the least healthiest.

I've seen in the CW catalogue lawn chairs for people who are obese—they are wider and stronger. That's something I've never seen before. I've always wondered how people can eat so much—maybe it is all Twinkies and sugary drinks. As I've learned from getting old, it is really hard to not put on pounds as my metabolism slows down, and changing eating habits is just as hard. When we go to a restaurant, I no longer eat the whole dinner no matter how good it is—I bring half home and get 2 meals for the price on one. I love bread, but I've cut down my consumption significantly, as well as eliminate some other stuff, and have lost 22 lbs. in a year. My idea of a wild splurge is eating two pieces of toast or a little bowl of ice cream or 2 cookies. I love ice cream and cookies and cake too. By doing this slowly, it is easier and my goal is another 20 lbs. by next October. These radical diets (20 lbs. in a month!) do not change habits, they only make people hate the diet and once they stop, they go back to their old habits. Doing it slowly is the only good way to change eating habits for your future.

Exercise only has a small effect on weight. As you lose flab, you build up muscle and muscle weighs more. So exercise doesn't help much for weight, but you look better and can function better. It adds to quality of life which becomes harder and harder to maintain with age. Exercise means living to the fullest as long as possible even though it feels like work.

Gene
Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post

IMO, the reason so many Americans are overweight is because there is a concerted effort by American food producers to keep us all addicted to sugar.
Some restaurants add sugar and salt to the meals so you'll come back. I read labels too and avoid a lot of prepared and processed foods. This makes for more work in preparing meals, but it is worth it. We read the labels on jars of peanuts, for example. Peanuts, lightly salted, are a good snack within reasonable limits. But they even add sugar to peanuts. A bad of unshelled peanuts are better, but create a mess, so we rarely buy any peanuts anymore. Energy bars are loaded with sugar, more than your body can process usefully, so avoid them unless you are going to run 25 miles.

In 2011, Americans ate about 100 lbs. of sugar a year. That's more than a quarter pound per day, so to keep up your average, a 5 lb. bag of sugar will last less than 20 days. That's over 18 5 lb. bags a year. Line them up on the counter and look at it.

Gene
Old 10-01-2012, 11:58 AM   #93

Gene,

You are correct about exercise and weight lose. At least that is my experience. However it has become an enjoyable part of my life. I truly miss it if I skip it for a few days. Bicycle riding has worked great for me as Longmont has many good bike trails and quiet street bike routes. This allows for a lot of variety in where I go and what I see. I keep it up and until it gets cold enough and then resort to the elliptical machine in front of the TV watching the programs I have recorded during nice weather. I've found the best weight loss for me is worrying about stuff, because that kills my appetite. however I try to avoid that for obvious reasons.

Ken
Old 10-01-2012, 12:11 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post
Some restaurants add sugar and salt to the meals so you'll come back. I read labels too and avoid a lot of prepared and processed foods. This makes for more work in preparing meals, but it is worth it. We read the labels on jars of peanuts, for example. Peanuts, lightly salted, are a good snack within reasonable limits. But they even add sugar to peanuts. A bad of unshelled peanuts are better, but create a mess, so we rarely buy any peanuts anymore. Energy bars are loaded with sugar, more than your body can process usefully, so avoid them unless you are going to run 25 miles.

In 2011, Americans ate about 100 lbs. of sugar a year. That's more than a quarter pound per day, so to keep up your average, a 5 lb. bag of sugar will last less than 20 days. That's over 18 5 lb. bags a year. Line them up on the counter and look at it.

Gene
One thing that has amazed me is that food I would have ordinarily found uninteresting now looks good. I now look at fruit as a treat. Every week when I go shopping, I buy an assortment of raw vegetables. I chop them into manageable size and store them in a bin in the refer. When I feel hungry between meals, a bowl of them is my snack. I like peanuts and other nuts also,. The other thing I like for an snack is rice cakes lightly salted. King Sooper and the local natural foods store sell Lundberg rice cakes, which I prefer to other brands.

Ken
Old 10-01-2012, 12:14 PM   #95
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Changing the subject back to annoying habits...

Passing cars on the right in a lane clearly marked "lane ends, merge left" after the responsible drivers have already merged out of it. Then they stall the lane they are merging into by nosing in at the last possible moment.

I often will pull into the lane that is ending, but stay even with the spot I had been in in the other lane. It's amazing how pissed off people get when you block their god given right to cut in front of those who were there ahead of them.

Most of the time, the person who had been behind me before I moved right sees what I'm doing and holds my place for me. I've never been blocked out of merging back into my place at the left.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:28 PM   #96
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post

Passing cars on the right in a lane clearly marked "lane ends, merge left" after the responsible drivers have already merged out of it. Then they stall the lane they are merging into by nosing in at the last possible moment.
I'll see that and go one better. Just this weekend, I saw people pulling to the right into an ON-ramp, and using it as a passing lane just to get one car farther ahead before the on-ramp ended.

Back when I was learning how to drive, we were taught that the person who is already in a lane has the right of way over people merging into the lane, crossing the lane, or using the lane to pass. Unless there are signs or traffic lights to the contrary, of course.

In real life, though, the one with the oldest, most beat-up car has the right of way in all cases, because you KNOW if you don't get out of his way, he'll just hit you and hope your insurance will buy him a replacement.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 12:29 PM   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post

I often will pull into the lane that is ending, but stay even with the spot I had been in in the other lane. It's amazing how pissed off people get when you block their god given right to cut in front of those who were there ahead of them.

Most of the time, the person who had been behind me before I moved right sees what I'm doing and holds my place for me. I've never been blocked out of merging back into my place at the left.
I will second that 100%.

I have seen people drive partially in one lane and partially in the other, but that only works if the shoulder is narrow.

One time when heading into the mountains on I-70, I had already merged and it became more stop and go. The guy behind me pulled out and started to pass me in the disappearing lane. As I was thinking, "what a butt head", he stopped beside me and rolled down his window. He said, "If you will let me back in line, I will stay out here and block all the jerks trying to get ahead. It worked great.

I don't understand your back to the topic comment. I thought Gene and I were doing a great job of annoying people with our habits.

Ken
Old 10-01-2012, 01:03 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by w7ts View Post
I don't understand your back to the topic comment. I thought Gene and I were doing a great job of annoying people with our habits.

Ken
Yes, annoying posts are also an annoying habit.

So far as guys in the right lane coming around, we were on a three laner in Arizona. The right lane was ending, so I pulled into the lane to the left well before the right lane was done, and just before it ended, an old Mustang flew by on the the right and made it into the main travel lane just before he was going to hit some joshua trees. I never saw him coming (he must have been so close behind he was invisible). I hit the brakes so we wouldn't meet.

I'd be glad to see him mow down some trees, but then I'd have to stop, call 911, and administer first aid (or the last rites if I knew how), and waste a lot of time. I might get blood all over my clothes too, so I try to make sure that fools survive and I can go about my trip.

Gene