Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2007, 04:19 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by remcolent
T
Why should airstream's only be enjoid in america or by american's
The longer I type the more P%$#& Iget. better to stop now.

I agree 100%. There is no valid reason this American icon should not be enjoyed and appreciated universally.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 04:40 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by tin sista
Vernors, coney dogs, cherry pie, and hockey. I was kind of hoping the buyer would be a hockey fan...
Feel free to sell the MI hockey team oversees! I'll even chip in for that one!!! Go AVs!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 04:57 AM   #23
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Hi again on this thread;
as Airstream , I'm a great fan of another american icon: Harley Davidson motorcycles.... Do you think with the change $/Euro, the bikes have better prices in Europe ??????
NO... except for the parts and clothes if I buy them directly in USA via the web but there is the shipping costs to add. So for light packages, it's very interesting.
The best thing to do is to pay and pick directly on place, in America with our European credit card and you don't pay shipping costs...but, because there is a but... we have to pay the tickets for the travel....
Nothing is perfect but we try .

Bruno.
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:54 AM   #24
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
We always hear of the French banning American words and culture. surprized to hear you embrace it so widely.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:57 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
why is there always the question if you (americans) loose something?? It is no lost!!! It's just a fact that the rest of the world wants to enjoy an airstream life, too!!! It is no lost - it is just sharing! Sharing passion, sharing enjoyment, sharing a certain lifestyle. Do you think that a single german feels a loss if you buy a Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, BMW or VW?? No - we are proud that these are also like, loved and bought by others!!! Keep buying!!!

And as so many have problems with the weak dollar (we don´t )... We started looking for an Airstream at a Dollar of 0.88 Cents for one Dollar. Most trailers at european dealers at that time were Clippers, and 60's or 70's trailers - already then!! We bought our Trailer at a Dollar rate of 1.21 per Euro from a Forums Member in the US. Now at a Dollar rate of 1.47 per Euro, trailers are still exported to europe but I don´t think that there are many more trailers exported than before. I think it is just more recognized by people as the dollar is now more in the news than ever before...

BJoern

AirstreamForumsMember No. AIR 5535

Proud Owner of a 1971 Ambassador 29' called "Dave"

-A stranger is a friend you just haven´t met before!-
unknown irish

davetheairstream
Pschoerrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 06:11 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
We always hear of the French banning American words and culture. surprized to hear you embrace it so widely.
Oh, come on - what about freedom-fries instead of french-fries...

And banning american words means not that anybody is against america, because overhere not only american words are banned, also english words, australian words, canadian words and words from newzealand... Do you get it?? Yes, words of a certain language are banned - English! And it is not a real bann it's more to get back to our own langauges like french or german or dutch, because more and more english word are in our allday speech and we loose our own words. If you look into a sales department in a germany company you won´t find a "Werbeabteilung" but a "Marketing Department"...

How many german or french words do you use everyday??? And not because there is no english word for it! Real German or French words!!!!

Give me ten - I can give you onehundred - at least!!

Greets

Bjoern

unknown irish

davetheairstream
Old 11-17-2007, 06:42 AM   #27
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
One,two,three

California, Ohio, Europe......natural progression??
Old 11-17-2007, 07:03 AM   #28
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1960 22' Safari
Stamford , Rutland UK
Send a message via Yahoo to Maybricks
Hi All
As we see it from our point of view is.... any trailer that is loved and kept going is one that is not rotting at the bottom of the garden somewhere.

Anyone who buys a vintage trailer is only a custodian and willing to spend the money to own something of great beauty to pass on to someone else.

They are all precious wether they are American of British cos our suffer the same fate if they are not loved.

www.vintage-americana.co.uk

+44 (0)7984 662 532

Maybricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:05 AM   #29
Rivet Master

62overlander, I can't believe you are concerned about us Brits buying a few old Airstreams with rotted frames. How do you think we feel about those thousands of GI brides you Yanks imported from England ??? (and I'm told their frames were in excellent order..........)
Nick.
Old 11-17-2007, 10:58 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
I think it just means that there will be more Airstreams out globally camping on Show Your Airstream and Go Camping Weekends .

Of course that will cause many others to suffer aluminum envy and then more people in more places in the world will want Airstreams and more will disapper. But what are you going to do - there just isn't stopping aluminitis no matter where in the world it hits.

ALMOST everybody wants a piece of good old Americana. I think that, in the overall scheme of things, that's not a bad thing.

Now, if only Vancouver could buy a State off eBay with a decent hockey team.........

Barry
Old 11-17-2007, 03:58 PM   #31
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
62overlander, I can't believe you are concerned about us Brits buying a few old Airstreams with rotted frames. How do you think we feel about those thousands of GI brides you Yanks imported from England ??? (and I'm told their frames were in excellent order..........)
Nick.
I just love the old trailers, when they go overseas, I/we don't usually see them again. Call it greedy, I don't now. I am very glad that they are getting a new lease on life. From what I see of the trailer stock for sale in Europe, the sellers have very good taste in models. They also have the ability to find trailers in excellent condition. I think Airstream should be producing an entire line of trailers ready to roll on the roads of Europe. The standards are different and so are the needs of the owners. I was glad to hear that export trailers are made at Jackson Center.
I possed the question to see if anyone else was sad to see the old girls leave our shores. It apears that I am the only one.
Pschoerrn, Tomarrow I will use thousands of German words. My mother is german and I still attempt to speak it. German was my first language 40 years ago. My mother is a German Import. Haben Sie einen grossen abend...
Frank
Old 11-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Braunschweig , Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander
My mother is a German Import. Haben Sie einen grossen abend...
Frank
Frank, so you now german quality "products"!!!

Have a nice evening and weekend too!!

BJoern

unknown irish

davetheairstream
Old 11-17-2007, 04:07 PM   #33
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
Nick.
Good one again, you guys are good and make good points. And it is all about point of view. I just love the old trailers, when they go overseas, I/we don't usually see them again. Call it greedy, I don't know, It might be shelfishness, I am human. I am very glad that they are getting a new lease on life. From what I see of the trailer stock for sale in Europe, the sellers have very good taste in models. They also have the ability to find trailers in excellent condition. I think Airstream should be producing an entire line of trailers ready to roll on the roads of Europe. The standards are different and so are the needs of the owners. I was glad to hear that export trailers are made at Jackson Center.
I posed the question to see if anyone else was sad to see the old girls leave our shores. It appears that I am the only one.
Pschoerrn, Tomorrow I will use thousands of German words. My mother is german and I still attempt to speak it. German was my first language 40 years ago. My mother is a German Import. Haben Sie einen grossen abend...
Frank
Here's a beautiful old girl with a good frame...
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0415.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	49440
Old 11-18-2007, 12:52 AM   #34
Very american 4 a french

1971 27' Overlander
DUNKERQUE / FRANCE , Nord
Again me;
you ought to be happy that oher people in the world , envy you and want to imitate you in owning greats icon from America as the fabulous Airstreams. Going overseas is a way of keeping your heritage in good hands by people who love what you do.
You can be reassured about the end of life of lot of american that are not lost , at all... I really take a great care of my old airstream, my old GE fridges ( '40, '50 always in daily use ), my '58 Ami Jukebox, my '60 coca vendo, my '76 pinball.... etc that all people I invite can see and they always say: Waow, that s' great and it 's only in America you can see that things and they envy you.....

Bruno

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
brunoffrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 07:54 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Bruno

It would be WAY cheaper for you to just move to this side of the world .

You have an enviable collection of "goodies". I can see where you would need to have an Airstream (and a Harley) to feel somewhat complete in your collecting. It's great that you use them as they were meant to be.

Barry
Old 11-19-2007, 09:01 AM   #36
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
I see no problem in sharing our American Icons with the rest of the world. How many European antiques do we have in America? How many European cars were imported to this country? How many Japanese cars have been imported to America? How many Picasso's hang in American museums? How many Egyptian mummies or other ancient artifacts are in American museums?

An Airstream or a Harley or a muscle car are all just "things" that represent the American way of life during this point in history. One day there will be other icons that represent America. We will share those "things" too and be proud that we have those icons that help define who we are to the rest of the world.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 10:43 AM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
edgawater , Maryland
Mass exodus-

We're losing way more than the 30 that Bruno says are gone there. I was in the port dropping something off and saw 18 at once. Most were heading to SOU- I looked at the shipping stickers, lots of nice trailers. We're soon to be left with rusted junk to pick through. At the end of the day- what can you do or say? We gave away control of our money to the Federal Reserve, which is not American owned, but owned and controlled by 3 US banks, and 5 others, all from Europe.

We print money to pay for a war that is not working, then when the whole world figures out we have nothing to back it up- like gold reserves- they call our bluff. We're actually lucky right now- when OIL starts trading in EUROS, we're totally screwed.

By the way, read up about Europe and Russia- Europe can't side with us much longer- Russia can turn off the gas if they do- some countries are getting as much as 70% of their fuel supplies from them, and its COLD there.

To an extent, I stand with 62OL, but know that our foundation in the country is going to be tested soon, and its built on some shaky ground.
oldbaggy is offline   Reply With Quote