Old 05-16-2016, 11:39 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
Jack you are spot on, when they opened the two distribution centers in Pittsburgh we had to start paying sales tax.
In Kentucky you are still responsible for paying the sales tax on purchases made online, even if the vendor doesn't collect it because they are not in the state. My Amazon purchases are taxed on items they sell, but if the item is from a third party vendor out of state, Amazon doesn't collect the tax. Kentucky still expects you to pay, there's a section of the state tax form for that purpose.

So can they enforce it? In several newspaper articles it was reported that the Kentucky Dept. of Revenue is aware of your purchases over the Internet. Somehow they are able to track that, I would guess sales that are reported by Amazon and other companies in the state. Right now it's still pretty much an honor system but for the small amount of sales tax I just go ahead and pay it. I check my Amazon purchases and whatever didn't have tax paid, I add it to the tax form and pay it.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 11:51 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Brick and mortar stores will find it impossible to compete with internet companies as the cost of doing business in such institutions makes them incapable of competing.

Superat stultitia.
I think it has forced them to be more competitive. They keep their local presence and keep a web site too. Lowes, Home Depot, Dick's Sporting Goods, Best Buy and many others have stores and web sites. You can compare prices and have something shipped to your door, to the store for free or just check their inventory before going there. Some stores, like Target, use Amazon to fulfill their online purchases.

Online purchases may hurt smaller retailers but then so do the big box stores, long before Internet shopping. Wal-Mart, Sears, Montgomery Ward, Best Buy, Circuit City have all had an impact on the small retailer. LL Bean, Bass Pro, Cabelas, J. Crew and a ton of other catalog sales companies have been around for many years. The doesn't seem to be and shortage of malls and shopping centers being built.

Just like dinosaurs, if you don't evolve, you become extinct.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Just yesterday I saw 2 US mail trucks delivering Amazon items on Sunday. I said to my wife that it would not supersize me to see Amazon buy Fed Ex.

Had DHL not closed their residential service they would have been the operation of choice. They still may be a contender as it would not be impossible for they to recreate that operation and would be a lot less costly than Fed Ex. They clearly have something in mind as noted here and on the business news today that they are buying up location much smaller than their warehouse distribution centers.

I believe Amazon is already using drones in Australia. I don't see that happening here with the current anti business atmosphere displayed by Government.

I am surrounded locally by all forms of retail but have to used Amazon to by many things that can't meet the shelf space cost at those retailers and thus are not available.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:05 AM   #32
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I use Amazon as a convenience, taxes are the least of my worries.

My lawnmower had carburetor issues, so I get on the phone to try and find a rebuild kit for it. It is only about 5 years old. No Joy. One place said they had one, drove the 40 minutes there to find out it was the wrong one. This was on a Friday afternoon. They can have one for me by next Friday. Ordered it on Amazon from my phone in their parking lot, it will be at my house on Monday.

Manufacturers are "churning"; constantly coming out with "new and improved" things, local stores can't or won't keep up with the repair parts.

As far as the tax thing... in NC they insist that anything being shipped to NC has sales taxes charged. If you physically purchase something out of state you are supposed to voluntarily report it on your tax form when you file. I want to know if I purchase something in a high tax state is NC going to give me a refund on the difference? I figure it all comes out in the wash.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 04:33 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Amazon capitulated in California a couple of years ago to paying the sales tax. So, I do miss the tax-free holiday. However, in response, they immediately opened several warehouses/distribution centers. Living in the greater LA area, I can often select free 2nd Day Prime shipping and my items still arrive in one day. We also have the one-day shipping for free option.

Also - to the earlier point about Amazon deliveries - they've just leased 20 Boeing 767 freighters to operate their own flights: http://www.seattletimes.com/business...cargo-network/
Old 05-18-2016, 04:37 PM   #34

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
We still get to beat some of the sales tax here in Depending on where the merchandise is coming from. I just really appreciate the two day delivery. It is a significant feature here in rural Florida.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 05:49 PM   #35
2 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Concord , California
Be careful with Amazon prices. It may not be the cheapest as it once was. They allow almost anyone to sell on their site. Prime is really good if you know what you are paying for and you are using it. Such as free two days or less delivery, movies and music, as an example.
Old 05-18-2016, 07:21 PM   #36
www.streamingairheads.com

Gettysburg , Pennsylvania
Love Amazon!

I love, love Amazon. I buy nearly everything online, as I don't have time to make trips to the store, only to find that the item(s) I am looking for are not in stock. I buy toiletries, gifts, vitamins, household appliances, etc. and even got a great deal on a treadmill last Fall. I get far more value for the money it costs for the Prime Membership. And, I usually pay lower prices. The convenience is ....priceless!
Old 05-18-2016, 10:04 PM   #37
Rivet Slave

2014 27' FB International
Western WA , Washington
+1 for Amazon not always being the cheapest, especially if the item in question is not "Sold by Amazon".

OTOH, we're comfortable buying anything that has the "Prime" logo next to it because we know It's fulfilled by AMZN and we can easily return the item if it's not up to snuff. Also, if we buy an item on Amazon that was sold by a 3rd party and there's a problem, Amazon will generally beat them up for us so we don't have to fight so hard. It's the whole "A-Z" guarantee thing.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 08:53 AM   #38
www.streamingairheads.com

Gettysburg , Pennsylvania
My experience just two days ago, even furthers my love for Amazon. I ordered two Jacket Brackets for our Equilizer hitch from an RV website, as the price was only $16 compared to Amazon's $29. with free shipping. However, I had to pay $9.38 priority shipping - and I needed them in a hurry, so I did. Once my order was placed, I got an email telling me that my item was being shipped from the "distribution house" and would arrive to the vendor in about 7 days. So, the item was not even in stock! I quickly responsed to cancel my order and for three dollars more, purchase off Amazon. My items will arrive today (Sunday) and I will be a happy camper! So while Amazon is not always the cheapest, when purchasing off their site and selecting items fulfilled by Amazon, they are reliable and responsive. To me - priceless!
Old 05-22-2016, 09:27 AM   #39
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Yeah, My prime membership has way more than paid for itself, but we order a LOT of stuff from amazon.. not to mention that prime membership also includes a LOT of tv shows and movies. Buying 4 seasons of a single tv show on DVD can equal the membership price.

keep in mind, that about 95% of what you see on amazon, isn't listed by amazon. People can list anything they want, and if they send their products to the amazon warehouses, amazon ships it prime, and the vendor eats the shipping cost... Free to you, paid for by the vendor, along with a hefty commission.

so when you see a listing that's badly presented, it's probably some guy in his underwear who doesn't seem to check his listings all that closely.

Also, roomba rocks! 980 for the win!

I also return a lot of things to amazon.. i know that no matter what, I can return anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I am becoming less of a fan. Amazon prime? Uh.... seems the great bargains are going to be eroded by pushing the "membership" concept. You LOOK at the price and forget that you pay the membership even on months when you don't buy anything.

And a part of me likes to look and feel and touch before I buy.

One thing that just totally irks me is that some products have the model and features SO badly described that you just cannot figure out what to choose. In a moment of a mildly manic swing I considered getting a Roomba - totally stupid for an RV, but daily sweeping is a pain too... So off to Amazon I go. So many models and ZERO feature by feature comparison charts. NO SALE. Kindle? Cripes I finally settled on a paperwhite but nothing told me that the cover from my old one wouldn't fit the new one. So I never got one. I use a tyvek/bubble wrap envelope ($.79) - which actually works better and weighs less than something I might have paid $40 for.

And watch out for PRIME - you can easily sign up by accident.
Don't appreciate sneaky merchants.

Paula
Old 05-22-2016, 09:28 AM   #40
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by streamingairheads View Post
My experience just two days ago, even furthers my love for Amazon. I ordered two Jacket Brackets for our Equilizer hitch from an RV website, as the price was only $16 compared to Amazon's $29. with free shipping. However, I had to pay $9.38 priority shipping - and I needed them in a hurry, so I did. Once my order was placed, I got an email telling me that my item was being shipped from the "distribution house" and would arrive to the vendor in about 7 days. So, the item was not even in stock! I quickly responsed to cancel my order and for three dollars more, purchase off Amazon. My items will arrive today (Sunday) and I will be a happy camper! So while Amazon is not always the cheapest, when purchasing off their site and selecting items fulfilled by Amazon, they are reliable and responsive. To me - priceless!
THIS

I know that pain!
Old 05-22-2016, 09:35 AM   #41
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Amazon actually reminds me of the days when I was a kid when my parents got the Panny's and Sears catalogs in the mail. At that time you could have considered those catalogs the Amazons of the day. The only difference is they had the brick and mortar stores, but for many with no major shopping facilities close to them, those catalogs had just about everything you needed short of food. Jack
Absolutely. Good perspective.
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:09 PM   #42

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Amazon vs Retail

I've even gone as far as buy a home toilet from Amazon. Was a leap of faith as to whether it would get to me in one piece, but it ended up perfect. Saved $100 over local prices and no tax. Was shipped to me free.

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote