Old 05-14-2016, 09:19 AM   #15
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Twin Rocks , Oregon
I try and shop local when ever I can, but for things that are not available locally, or when local prices are unreasonable, Amazon is the first place I look.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
My experience with Amazon is not only as a customer but also a Workkamper in Campbellsville, KY for the last 3 Xmas seasons. It continues to be a great experience and I have been able to meet so many full-timers. This year they are hoping for 600 campers for the upcoming season in KY. I will be returning again this year.

Old 05-14-2016, 09:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
While the free shipping for items under $35 is attractive I always wait until I have enough purchases to qualify for free shipping and most of my purchases are more than $35 anyway. I don't mind waiting for the shipment which typically is 3 to 5 business days. Can't see paying $100/yr for almost instant gratification.

Kelvin
Old 05-14-2016, 02:43 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
We've had both good and bad experiences with Amazon Prime, but overall we like it. We rarely are in a place where we can take advantage of the streaming video, but then we don't watch all that much television anyway. Being able to have an item in a couple of days is really great - when it works.

Our last purchase was our only really bad experience, and Amazon did all they could to make it right with us. Jo Ann ordered an item to be delivered in two days (Prime membership). Someone goofed, and it was sent UPS ground (delivery in 5-7 business days). We had it sent to the place where we were, and where we will be returning briefly, so if it hadn't arrived before this little trip we could still get it. The package got within a couple hundred miles before it disappeared. Amazon first extended our membership, then reordered the item with a 25% discount, and told us that if the first one arrived we should just keep it. The replacement was sent here, and was waiting for us when we arrived. The original item ended up far, far away and has finally gotten back to where it started.
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2016, 03:00 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
As much as I liked Amazon, recently told them to buzz off when their CEO started revealing his political purposes of his businesses.
Yeah, don't you just hate it when people use their own money to support equal treatment for all people. Not very Christian of him, eh?
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 07:24 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
The real purpose of my initial post as OP was to see if anyone else had witnessed and or experienced an Amazon owned and operated delivery truck to their home or business. I did not clarify that in my original post. To date several people I've talked to have had deliveries via the Amazon delivery service.

In the near future I suspect if this continues Amazon will not just lessen if not eliminate their dealings with FedEx, UPS and USPS but in fact compete with them as their own delivery service for individuals and businesses that have items to be shipped, even those not purchased from or thru Amazon.

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:08 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
I'd say they won't have the network to do it all, just certain areas around their own distribution centers. They will still have to rely on the commercial carriers for the bulk of their deliveries. I don't think drones are viable either, I think they are just doing proof of concept with different delivery methods to see what's even feasible.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:42 AM   #22

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Amazon vs Retail

I've used more of Amazon over time in many cases to not have to pay the inflated sales taxes raised to provide tax incremented finance deals to developers to build more shopping plazas. It really makes my blood boil to see Walmart and other stores, abandon their existing buildings only to build another sales tax subsidized store just down the street a mile or so away. All this financed by sales taxes that are inflated to subsidize the projects. In one locale we have replaced three WalMarts on the same road over the last 25 years. Each one has moved a mile or so west on open ground. The real bite is that each abandoned plaza gets left with an abandoned Walmart and the other plaza stores around it wither away. The last one they abandoned 7 years ago is a 104,000 square foot store. It still sits empty and that entire tax financed development with a number of additional stores and buildings is about 30% occupied since Walmart moved a mile west.

Amazon doesn't collect sales taxes in Missouri and when buying larger ticket items you can't beat saving 10-11% on inflated sales taxes alone. Quite honestly in many states our governmental agencies have shot themselves in the foot by pushing more sales to Internet based suppliers by those avoiding excessive taxation. I'm sure a lot of Amazon's growth is coming from these types of situations.

While I don't use prime, I do take advantage of their free shipping options and will put odds and ends into the shopping cart over time to build the order up enough to qualify for free shipping. I recently ordered some new headphone covers, ear plugs i use for when I ride my motorcycle, and bbq parts, none of each which qualified for free shipping, but added together did. I didn't need all these items immediately, so having them set in the out basket for a few weeks saves me some shipping $$.

Amazon actually reminds me of the days when I was a kid when my parents got the Penny's and Sears catalogs in the mail. At that time you could have considered those catalogs the Amazons of the day. The only difference is they had the brick and mortar stores, but for many with no major shopping facilities close to them, those catalogs had just about everything you needed short of food.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 08:52 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by richw46 View Post
I'd say they won't have the network to do it all, just certain areas around their own distribution centers. They will still have to rely on the commercial carriers for the bulk of their deliveries. I don't think drones are viable either, I think they are just doing proof of concept with different delivery methods to see what's even feasible.
I found out this morning that Amazon under shell corporations is buying up abandoned malls and other buildings to use as distribution centers. We already have two distribution centers in Western PA. As to the drones, according to an IT person I know well and is still working the logistics are done for implementation and only waiting on FAA approval for flight paths etc. Time will tell, but it appears Amazon is well on it's way to taking over retail, for now. It's fascinating to watch. And you very well could be spot on with Amazon "testing" which method or methods will work best for them
Old 05-16-2016, 08:58 AM   #24

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Amazon vs Retail

Interesting that as they build out these distribution centers, they most likely will lose their sales tax advantage in those states. None here in Missouri, but I can see that they may feel that any loss of sales due to losing the sales tax advantage might be off set by lower shipping costs to them.

Best Buy comes to mind as they will now match Amazon prices at their retail stores.

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:27 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
New Orleans , Louisiana
In the past couple of years AMZN made a deal with the postal service for Sunday deliveries. They did close Fernley, NV and Coffeyville, KS because shipping was an issue.
Old 05-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Brick and mortar stores will find it impossible to compete with internet companies as the cost of doing business in such institutions makes them incapable of competing.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Interesting that as they build out these distribution centers, they most likely will lose their sales tax advantage in those states. None here in Missouri, but I can see that they may feel that any loss of sales due to losing the sales tax advantage might be off set by lower shipping costs to them.

Best Buy comes to mind as they will now match Amazon prices at their retail stores.

Jack
Jack you are spot on, when they opened the two distribution centers in Pittsburgh we had to start paying sales tax.
Old 05-16-2016, 11:12 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post

Jack
Only if the item is sold by Amazon. They won't price match the third party sellers, at least not in my local store. Oddly enough, they price match their own web site. I've found stuff cheaper at their web site and the local store would match.

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is offline   Reply With Quote