Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-18-2008, 10:42 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
santa rosa , California
Aluminitus II

I am new to airstreaming and these forums. I have already introduced myself as saying that it had occured to me that I really had caught the airstream bug. Then noted to myself that a bug is like a virus or somthing. So I was like hmm oh yeah! this must be the aluminitus I have been hearing about. Well its funny you know. Ive been trying to pick up a 31 footer for about a month now having two deals fizzle or fall out so I dont actualy have mine yet, BUT!! I have been getting the suburban set up with the hitch and all and when it came time to add a reciever to the hitch package they tried to sell me a steel one for 20 dollars. Thats when I spied this beautifull solid aluminum reciever that looked like this shiny monolith. Price,,, 65 dollars plus a locking pin for 20. Well I just couldnt help myself....
Style addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 04:33 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Sounds like you got it bad man!
Welcome to the addiction!
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 10:31 AM   #3
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Welcome to the Forum. There's no cure for aluminitis. My wife got it first and managed to keep it hidden from me for a long time. She would go online to the company website and stare at the pictures and floor plans. I don't know how long this went on before she confessed she had the disease.

I love her so I looked at the pictures and then I found myself looking at the floor plans too and then specifications. Once you look at the specifications, you're a goner.

I didn't know it at the time, though. I started thinking about a newer truck because I had found the Forum and learned my pickup couldn't tow a medium size trailer. I rationalized that I was going to get a new pickup without committing myself to buying an Airstream. Secretly I thought I had outsmarted my wife. Hah! We went to one dealer and were lied to and left. Then we bought a new pickup, went to another Airstream dealer "just to look". A couple of hours later I owned a new Safari.

Now I wonder why I bought a blue pickup when they paint them silver too.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:09 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Style
I think I told ya before this diease is not life threating . Life changing maybe But never fatal.
U have started in the corrected end like I did ,TV first ,all setup tow any size trailer. Reciever,drawbar and ball with Weight distrubution bars of some configuation. The burb with the correct hitch should do the job.
I also wanted a 31 ft and then a 34 but settled on the 27ft and have found out it is ample for the 2 of us and 3 small dogs.
Oh,Aluminitius never goes away but U can live with it.
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 12:05 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
santa rosa , California
Better than steel

Fixit..
You did mention that and its good to here that this is managable. Thanks for the support.
I supose moderation is the key. Its not like I could posibly obstain. I meen even if I went camping without one the poles in the tent might be aluminum right? Right? Right?!!
Its not like I had to buy the aluminum reciever just cause it looked pretty, and it felt good in my hand....It actually had a tounge rating of 800 pounds to the steel version @ 500 pounds.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1977 31' Excella 500
santa rosa , California
Gene!
Thanks for your testimony, if only I had heard it in time.