Old 09-19-2008, 07:49 PM   #29
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by wekaAIR View Post
...I've only seen a couple of negative comments about them.
hi weka'

have u been IN one?

seen the specs and so on?

what's your interest?

how might u use one?

r u planning to buy an rv?

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2008, 02:35 AM   #30
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If you are talking SOB vintage check out KIT trailers. That's the manufacturer not a type.
You kind of crawl into it, Stands about 4-5 feet high wheels and all. I've seen a couple of motorcycle pop ups that are about 30" high x 3'wide by 4' long. They unfold into a remarkably large tent like thingy you can actually stand up in.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:57 AM   #31

TOPEKA , Kansas
Run or walk?

I have not been in one, but I've looked at them online. To me, AS's are like Siamese cats. When I was a kid, I didn't like them (cats). I thought they were aloof. Perhaps the scene in Lady and the Tramp where they sing "We are Siamese if you please" was part of that. My neighbor had one. I thought their meow was annoying. But then at 18 I stayed at a relative's house for part of a summer, where there were two and I loved them! They may be aloof to strangers, but they were loving and friendly cats to each other and to their family; they welcomed me as part of the family.

So, as a kid, I thought AS's were awful. Rounded like my mom's old refrigerator or that old wringer-washer with the gears that tore open the skin on my curious three-year old finger. Aluminum rather than fiberglass (like a Corvette) or plastic (There's your future, kid, go into plastics . . . ). But now, I recognize the intrinsic beauty of an AS.

I didn't like Coors as a kid, either. That aluminum can! That slightly longer shape! That tan paint on the can! Who did Coors think they were? My tastes changed, obviously; I love Coors now, especially the Silver Bullet. Perhaps that's partly why I like AS's now; long, rounded, and silver, like a beer can.

So, here's a question. If I showed up at an AS rally with a BaseCamp, would I be treated as an outsider, the poor cousin from Yonkers? (No offense to Yonkers intended; it's just a funny name, like Talahassee, Yosemite, and WaKeeney.) Or would I be welcome?
Old 09-20-2008, 08:02 AM   #32
_

. , .
Quote:
...So, here's a question. If I showed up at an AS rally with a BaseCamp, would I be treated...
most likely, a b/c owner showing up any any forum rally would be treated just like everyone else.

i suspect this would be true at any a/s owners event too.

Quote:
...Perhaps that's partly why I like AS's now; long, rounded, and silver, like a beer can....
but again, what is described as child memories or a/s imagery doesn't fit with this model.

it's not shaped like a can, or a fridge, isn't primarily aluminum (the shell structure is fiberglass) and so on...

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f404...oke-44894.html

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote