Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Off Topic Forum
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Airstream Suggestion Box

There are always threads about QC, workmanship, design and corporate policies. Sometimes on these threads there are suggestions about how to improve Airstreams, they get lost amongst the frustrations.

Let's focus on suggestions to improve them on this thread. Maybe Airstream will engage and tell us what they think and whether they will adopt the ideas.

So, I'll start:

To produce a waterproof trailer is not all that difficult. Cars and trucks don't leak, so Airstreams don't have to either. Here's how:

1. Attach roof items with 2 sided extra strong tape. This stuff works. The number of screw holes would be significantly less.

2. Any other penetrations should be sealed with rubber (or rubber like substance) strips. You've started to do this with courtesy lights and at the rear bump compartment, but it can be done everywhere.

3. Use rubber seals under the overlapping outer skim panels.

4. Will bolts and nuts seal better than rivets? Stainless steel bolts with square drive and round heads will look like rivets. Check this out; maybe labor costs would be less.

5. Keep rivet guns clean so rivets are not scored and set gun with less power so dimples do not appear in the outer skin. Both these things may reduce failed clear coat and corrosion.

6. Abandon the skylight—one less place to leak and a lot of people don't like it (too much sun and heat, or loss of heat in cold climates).

7. Abandon panos in bedrooms—are corner windows really necessary in a room usually curtained? This would save money, reduce chance of water penetration, make for stronger trailer, and be a trade off for any expenses of better seals.

8. Don't use flat bottomed items on curves—unless a seal that curves on one side and is flat on the other.

9. Lens for lights on cars do not pop out when squeezed—they are screwed down and sealed and don't leak. Do the same.

10. Awning supports are installed over a seam making it almost impossible to seal properly. Move one or the other. WHen water runs off the roof and comes down at the ends of the awning, it streams down on the awning supports making them especially vulnerable. A rain gutter would help.

A water tight RV would be a rarity and make Airstream innovative as befits a "premium" brand. But the promise must be followed with good quality seals, not the cheapest made.

More ideas? Mods, move this if there's a better place for it.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I would add, don't use radius bottomed items (marking lights) on flat surfaces. This not only catches my eye it also gouges the aluminum along the edges, especially on the tail point of the teardrop.

Dan
Old 06-17-2012, 06:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 17' Caravel
Bethel Park near Pittsburgh , Pennsylvania
Send a message via Skype™ to aceflys
If you ask me I don't think AS want's there trailer to last as long as the vintage ones do. So over the long run they will sell more units. Just like the car makers.

Ace in PA "Just my 2 cents"
aceflys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, make some sort of a curved rib box, out of aluminum, to hold the shape of the 14" X 14" holes in the roof for the vents. This would hold the shape of the inner and outer skins in place so there would not be any pools in this area on the roof. This would also help prevent roof leaks. This would also give you two sheets of aluminum for the screws instead of one. The vents could also be installed with two sided tape, like side mouldings on cars. No screws needed or maybe one in each corner of the veny housing.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:33 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Get rid of the skill/chop saws for cutting out windows, etc. Has Airstream never heard of CAD/CAM? It would be more efficient and consistent. I would not be surprised if a side effect was less leaks and ultimately a better product with a happier customer base.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Get rid of the skill/chop saws for cutting out windows, etc. Has Airstream never heard of CAD/CAM? It would be more efficient and consistent. I would not be surprised if a side effect was less leaks and ultimately a better product with a happier customer base.
Already done!
I watched it in action a couple of weeks ago.....
Bruce
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:16 PM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
The very first thing I did....replace ALL exterior fasteners with stainless.

Do not use clear-coated exterior components, tail-light bezels, battery door frames, door hinges etc. They are usually in rough shape by the time the trailer get's to the dealer's lot.
They are not that hard to maintain, a little polish and wax will do the trick.

BTW...the after-the-fact correction was not so easy.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BATTERY DOOR CORROSION REPAIR 011.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	161246  
Attached Images

Old 06-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
I would like to see a suggestion box on the Airstream.com website. A place where Airstream owners could make suggestions or whatever comments they need to make. A place that the company read regularly. A private suggestion box. I made this suggestion at the owner feedback forum and posted about it here earlier.
Bruce
Old 06-17-2012, 07:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Airstream has absolutely no interest in any feedback about their products from people on Air Forums - unless it is high praise. One of the problems now is that there is virtually no communication between the service and production facilities at JC. If they don't even bother talking to each other to find out what is going on why would they care what we think?
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2021 25' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al - K4GLU View Post
Airstream has absolutely no interest in any feedback about their products from people on Air Forums - unless it is high praise. One of the problems now is that there is virtually no communication between the service and production facilities at JC. If they don't even bother talking to each other to find out what is going on why would they care what we think?
I am curious how you know this? You have worked there? Someone you know does? This makes no sense to me. I'd have bet that Airstream knows exactly how much money is spent on every one of their products while under warranty. Funny, they must not pay those bills, perhaps the service center people work for free? Maybe other manufacturers donate supplies to be used in the warranty repairs?

This is the problem with the Internet in general. What might be a constructive list of legitimate issues quickly becomes a .........

I should know better
Bruce
Old 06-17-2012, 08:21 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post
I am curious how you know this? You have worked there? Someone you know does? This makes no sense to me. I'd have bet that Airstream knows exactly how much money is spent on every one of their products while under warranty. Funny, they must not pay those bills, perhaps the service center people work for free? Maybe other manufacturers donate supplies to be used in the warranty repairs?

This is the problem with the Internet in general. What might be a constructive list of legitimate issues quickly becomes a .........

I should know better
Bruce
Just what are you attempting to imply here? I've been told that at Airstream - on two different occasions by the guy who gives the tours who worked at Airstream for many years and also by one of the service people. I don't make statements just for the sake of making them.

Airstream probably does know what warranty work costs them - but that doesn't mean there is feedback from the service people to the production people to try and control the problems. As for parts inventory the service/production inventories are completely separate. I'm told production uses a "just in time" inventory system. One of the things that was replaced on my trailer in May was the thermostat. They had to get one from production because service had none of the new digital ones in stock and I was told by the guy working on my trailer that he wasn't sure they'd be able to get one - and as it turned out they might as well not have since the new one didn't solve the problem. The only thing that might give Airstream/Thor a kick in the butt is if their sales started to suffer due to poor quality - and that hasn't happened yet. I keep thinking the filiform problem is going to catch up with them one of these days but it hasn't yet.
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:43 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Only 8 posts and already this thread has been hijacked.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:06 PM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Airstream will never engage if we are flaming each other and them.

Suggestions to improve the product please.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
Met w sales manager

While at Airstream for Alumapalooza the very nice Sales Manager met w us at our trailer and we showed him all the improvements we made, especially those regarding storage. He was so impressed he took lots of photos and was going to see about getting some of them implemented in future rigs. Additionally we talked about a better layout for the 23' and he had us draw a quick sketch of a possible change which he liked and was going to take to engineering. Also, reps from their staff had two seminar Q & A periods. One for the men and one for the women. Lots of ?'s were asked and lots of comments made. We observed them taking lots of notes. So, bottom line, yes they are interested in our suggestions.
Oh, I am going to take photos too and post them here.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Gig Harbor , Washington
I'd like to see a more specific product model year change. My 2012 has some changes that others do not i.e. a tee in the propane line with a valve. Some have mattress toppers some don't. Some have aluminum entry thresholds some are wood. I've never seen "NEW FOR 2013" from AS. It seems the model year change over is just an accumulation of changes made over the year and then at some point the 2012 becomes a 2013.

Just what exactly aside from inventory or product availabiliy makes these changes specific to model years?

What specific features are available in the 2013 FC that were not available in 2012? Why are these production changes made seemingly with no rhyme or reason?

I understand all about just in time inventory and lots of companies are successful with this approach without the scattergun results AS has.

Dan
Old 06-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #16
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
"
Product information, specifications, and photography in this website were as accurate as possible at time of publishing. Photographs may contain some features that are optional on your vehicle. Since we continually strive to improve our products, actual products may differ. Prices and specifications are subject to change without notice. All capacities are approximate and dimensions are nominal. Some features or options may be different or unavailable in Canada.

"

I would like to see a return of larger Motorhome production. One model, one quality chassis/powertrain, with a combo of aluminum and f/g, with all aluminium framing, and no leaks.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlehosky View Post
I'd like to see a more specific product model year change. My 2012 has some changes that others do not i.e. a tee in the propane line with a valve. Some have mattress toppers some don't. Some have aluminum entry thresholds some are wood. I've never seen "NEW FOR 2013" from AS. It seems the model year change over is just an accumulation of changes made over the year and then at some point the 2012 becomes a 2013.

Just what exactly aside from inventory or product availabiliy makes these changes specific to model years?

What specific features are available in the 2013 FC that were not available in 2012? Why are these production changes made seemingly with no rhyme or reason?

I understand all about just in time inventory and lots of companies are successful with this approach without the scattergun results AS has.

Dan
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Saint Petersburg , Florida
I've watched the Airstream videos on YouTube, and it always baffles me why Airstream seals the overlapping aluminum panels from the inside. If I've ever wanted to stop a water leak, I ALWAYS started from the outside/in. Seems if they used the Vulkem when the aluminum panels are overlapped a few leaks would be avoided. Just my .02.....
Thanks, Derek
crazeevw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:52 PM   #18
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
Functional/durability improvements at each model year. Advertised and emphasized as a sales tool. When I started to drive, spark plugs were changed every 12K miles, now they're over 100K miles. Lets make the trailers more durable and easier to maintain. Custom builds with durability options when feasible. Focus on durability features as a sales tool. Market the unit as rugged trailer for hard core traveler (or equiv message). Build it in that image.

1. Best possible tires, disc brakes, long life sealed wheel bearings (implemented in some cases already). Standard or option on all lines.

2. Rot resistant/proof flooring as standard or option. Redouble efforts to eliminate leaks.

3. Testing of UV resistance for plastics used in skylights, vent covers, etc. and specifying products with much longer life than current offerings.

4. Potential side line trailer using non riveted construction, and painted aluminum exterior but retaining classic Airstream shape and interiors.

5, Window/skylight delete options where feasible. Allows individuals to customize what windows are included in a special order.

6. Higher quality AC drain pans not likely to crack or leak condensate into trailer interior.
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 04:13 AM   #19
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
I'll repeat what my DW Sandra said to me shortly after we got the Classic.

I was bitch'n to her about some of the QC concerns I was working on…..
"Sounds to me like they should continue doing what they already do, only do it better"
She has always been able to cut to the chase very well.
("Yes", instead of "I do")

Eight years later and it would still be a very good place for them to start.
Just do it better, pride in what you do shows up right away.

Bob
Old 06-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I'll repeat what my DW Sandra said to me shortly after we got the Classic.

I was bitch'n to her about some of the QC concerns I was working on…..
"Sounds to me like they should continue doing what they already do, only do it better"
She has always been able to cut to the chase very well.
("Yes", instead of "I do")

Eight years later and it would still be a very good place for them to start.
Just do it better, pride in what you do shows up right away.

Bob
I'm with Bob's wife on this on.

Their first decision for change has to be a commitment to be the best at what they do:
  • best design
  • best materials
  • best manufacturing techniques
  • best distribution network
  • best customer service
Once this kind of commitment is made everything else falls into line.

Thanks,

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote